[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to make a rowboat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: whitehall-rowboat.jpg (21KB, 496x260px) Image search: [Google]
whitehall-rowboat.jpg
21KB, 496x260px
Im planning on making a rowboat, probably this month but im not really sure. Has anybody done this before and if so whats the best way to go about this. I don't want to be cheap and go the stitch and glue method. Probably gonna use epoxy and fiberglass. If its not too much trouble a step by step process on how you guys did yours if you have.
>>
It has been said that a lousy boat builder makes an excellent carpenter.
Meaning that building boats can be tricky. You need to define first what kind of boat you are looking for. Flat bottomed or V, for how many and so on. Also if you haven't gone shit like this before and planning to build it in the evenings and weekends then your timetable is overly optimistic.
Boats are tricky. Tell something about your criteria, otherwise it's a no go.
I happen to have two boat renovation projects that are never going to finish so you can pick them up. Unfortunately you live too far away...
>>
>>1093215
Flat-bottomed and for 3 people. I haven't done shit like this before and I am planning to build it when im free. Between work and exercising.

I also live in NJ.
>>
Make a little sail for it and a rudder

You won't regret it.
>>
I've thought about it

I've seen free boats on CL but they looked terrible
>>
>>1093228
For a row boat? This is probably going to be for fishing. I don't need all that fancy shit lol.
>>
If you want to build it from fibreglass then you will need a boat mould which are almost always more expensive than the boat it's self.
When you have a mould however it is a fairly simple and not mega time-consuming business to lay up a dinghy shell
>>
>>1093240
How expensive would you say?
>>
>>1093243
For a decent mould around £1000 or 1400 burgers, that's before any materials. If you are going down that route you would be better buying one probably. The best I have found is this http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/252652826717?rmvSB=true&_mwBanner=1
>>
>>1093371
Well shit, what would be a cheaper but still able to be more sturdy than the stitch and glue method?
>>
>>1093408
Aluminum.
>>
File: s-l225.jpg (14KB, 225x169px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
14KB, 225x169px
>>1093408
You could try building a fold up boat with a hypalon hull like pic. They are surprisingly sturdy but are only really suitable for 2 people
>>
Screwing strips to ribs probably easiest and fastest. Like cedar strip canoe construction mixed with a frame.

You can fiberglass around that and get a solid cheap light boat that's watertight as fuck.
>>
>>1093208
Everything you need you have here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wuoy1dGOxFI
>>
>>1093208
>I don't want to be cheap and go the stitch and glue method.
>Probably gonna use epoxy and fiberglass.
>>1093408
>well shit, what would be a cheaper but still able to be more sturdy than the stitch and glue method?

I don't get why you are so opposed to stitch and glue, if you don't think it's sturdy enough just add a few more/heavier layers of fiberglass
if you have zero experience with boat building stitch and glue is the most promising by a long shot
about ten years ago I build a canoe together with my dad and little brother using stitch and glue, it took about 4-5 weekends and turned out really nicely
we are still using it every summer and it took a lot of abuse (scratching against rocks in shallow but fast moving rivers)
but despite a couple coats of paint we never had to do any repairs on it
>>
>>1093208
Geodesic aerolite.
>>
If this is your first time, I would highly recommend using stitch and glue. I've built a Bolger Diablo (a 15ft skiff) which uses the stitch and glue method, and I've helped replace some planks on a friends lapstrake dingy. The lapstrake planks are an absolute bitch to get to fit snugly, and you will likely end up just fiberglassing the outside to save yourself the hassle.
Using a mold to cast a fiberglass dingy isn't really feasible or cost effective for a one time run, as there is a significant startup cost associated with it, however it would be the better option if you were planning on going commercial.
Stitch and glue, provided you fiberglass the outside, should last as long as any other boat out there, and since you use plywood as the core material, the boat is a little more resistant to impact than other commercial foam cored boats.
>>
>>1093899
>>1093226
Same guy here

What water body are you planning on going out on in this boat, and how do you plan on using it? For refrence, I live on the lower Chesapeake bay, in my Diablo I can take 5-6 people going point to point in the James river, however If I'm going out into the bay to fish, I wouldn't want more than three, (ideally just one-two), as the weather can turn nasty on you real quick and less weight is always better.

If you plan on going out on any open water, I would recommend you choose a design with the ability to mount an outboard, as rowing gets old fast, and a high bow as it allows you to take much higher seas than other boats.

If you are looking for plans, Any of the Dorys that Phill Bolger designed seem to be right up your alley, most of them use plywood panel construction, and could be build by a complete novice in 50-100 hours. On top of this, the dory style of hull is incredibly seaworthy.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.