[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need to cheaply partition my apartment to reduce heat loss.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

I need to cheaply partition my apartment to reduce heat loss.
I nee to separate the living room from the rest of the apartment.

I was looking into buying heavy drapes, or curtains, and just hanging them there.
My ceiling height is a little over 9ft.

Whats the best product to buy on the cheap, and hang it so to partition the place. It doesn't need to slide, so a few ceiling hooks will do.
>>
See how cheep you can get a insulated tarp. They are used in concrete work to keep heat in so the Crete can set
>>
File: 81jRS-UAMGL._SL1500_.jpg (262KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81jRS-UAMGL._SL1500_.jpg
262KB, 1500x1500px
>>1092720
I dont want to actually hang a tarp.
Curtains like pic related are cheap, and come in 72x108, two of them should do it.

I need suggestion on good material that keeps heat in.
>>
>>1092728
I found this here
https://www.amazon.com/Gorgeous-Home-THERMAL-BLACKOUT-GROMMETS/dp/B01AR65H5E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480646719&sr=8-3&keywords=108%22%2Bdrapes&th=1

its 9ft long, I would prefer to find 10 feet.
Goddamn curtain rod that long is $50. I'll just make my own from PVC, or an aluminum tube for less.
>>
>>1092735
terrible reviews. need to keep looking.

room dividers for my size are almost $100. :(
>>
>>1092718
Used old blankets all my life till I got married and bow I freeze because "it's ghetto."

Ghetto warm beats a 300 dollar cuck bill while freezing...
>>
>>1092741
Yeah, I thought of blankets, but honestly, I can buy some curtains with grommets and make it look nice.
https://www.amazon.com/RoomDividersNow-Gray-Divider-Fabric-Curtain/dp/B008HDYW1A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480648495&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=room+divider+curtain+10ft+tall&psc=1

So far that's the closest thing I found. I would have to make my own rod.
>>
https://www.lowes.com/pl/Fence-rails-Fencing-gates-Building-supplies/4294402521?refinement=4294402450
>>
>>1092718
>on the cheap

2nd hand/charity shops. I found a huge pair of heavy velvet curtains in one for about $10.
They where brothel red though
>>
>>1092718
Can you build a temporary wall using something like foam insulation panels with wallpaper or paint on them so they don't look too fugly?

Far as a heat barrier goes, it's the air convection that gets you. Anything that blocks air circulation will greatly improve things.

I bodged up some thermal windows with 1x2 and that heat-shrink window covering. Amazed at how it helped the back room.
>>
>>1092735
>PVC pipe curtain rod
I hope you paint it at least. That would look terrible.
>>
>>1092718
Wht exactly is the reasoning behind wanting to thermally isolate the living room?
>>
>>1092718
>>1092718
>>1092718
>>1092718

Why not turn down the heat and buy space heaters?

You're about to spend 100s of dollars OP ... buy 2 really nice and quiet space heaters (infrared or the fanless fancy shits they sell at costco).
>>
>>1093842
So my bf and I can get it on in there.
>>
>>1093192
How "WIDE" is the area you are trying to insulate/isolate? If its small enough, you can just get some 3m wall mounts, wood blocks and shower curtain spring bars to hand/hold things in place.
>>
File: IMG_0026.jpg (321KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0026.jpg
321KB, 1280x853px
OP here.

I am surprised this thread is still up. I bought me an $80 partition curtain with which I am terribly disappointed. For $80 I was expecting some double insulated foam backed cloth, instead its a thin single layer cotton thingy. Guess I should have read the description better.

Anyway, it doesnt seem to work as I hopped. The cold area I am trying to partion off has 3 vents, and gets higher pressure flow.
The warm area is only left with 2 vents, one of which is putting out normal 110-115F hot air, and the other reads rather low at around 95F

This causes the warm part of the house to heat up slower, and the cold part gets warm faster, but looses heat quicker.

Normally I set it to 67F, the heater runs its cycle, turn off for about 5 minutes, and turns on again. Air outside is mid 20s

With the new partition it stayed off for 35 minutes at 67F, before running again, but this caused an unforeseen issue with my, and roommates room now cool down a bit quicker. I was used to the heater being on almost all the time, and heating the shit out of our individual rooms quite nicely, while the rest of the apartment was 15 degrees cooler.

I compensated by raising the heat to 70F (normally during winter the heater can never hit that high cause the apartment is too leaky)
With the partition it reached 70F, but when back to cycling back on after 5 minutes of not running. So I dont think the damn curtain is really helping. Roommate is bitching that his room is cooler cause the heater is running less (which was the idea)
I told him to get a space heater.

I am going to borrow my friends FLIR drone and look where the leaks are. Our main problem is that the living room has fancy exposed brick. Looks nice, but the insulation is missing. Since our apartment is one open space, all the hot air escapes there. All our windows are sealed well. Doors do need a small fix cause there are some leaks, but the main heat loss is the brick.

What else can I do to save on heat?
>>
>>1093842
The cultivation of mary huanas.
>>
File: IMG_0643.jpg (47KB, 600x800px)
IMG_0643.jpg
47KB, 600x800px
>>1094285
For starters you should Saran Wrap that window to keep the cold out. A thin pane of glass doesn't insulate at all and you'd be surprised how much cold air it lets in
>>
File: IMG_0027.jpg (306KB, 1080x720px)
IMG_0027.jpg
306KB, 1080x720px
>>1095940
man, I dont even have a hair dryer. but I think I'll do it again this year. i have not bothered in 5 years.

also, I have a brick wall, and nothing I tried makes the tape stick. tried gorilla, outdoor tape, heating it with a heat gun, hot glue. nothing, wont stay on. and its the shitty window too.
The white shit on the wall is lime.
>>
>>1095977
Gross put some bleach on that shit. Also keep trying stuff. Duck tape, small mortor screws if necessary. Anything to block those windows that's a huge part of your problem
>>
>>1095977

That brick looks cold as shit. There's a reason why we use wood and insulation now.
>>
Use foam blocks to build a wall, it looks good and lasts for ages. People build houses with these things.
>>
>>1096010
Well that's how it is. There should be drywall, and insulation over that brick, but there isnt any.
>>
>>1096019
Yurotrash detected
>>
>>1095871
>What else can I do to save on heat?
Your point of
> bricks
Yeah, um, that's the problem. Remember H = dT (1/R) A; H is watts if dT is in kelvins and R is 1/5.678 imperial R and A is in meters square.

Drafts do matter, allot, you can tell generally if you've sealed too much if a dwelling feels stuffy. If it does, crack a window about 1/8" and if that fixes it, cool.

As a dwelling shouldn't feel stuffy, that's very bad for your health.

But... if you've sealed shit and it doesn't feel stuffy. Keep going, you haven't sealed enough. You can always crack a window open if it becomes too much, so there's no harm in going crazy.

Not stuffy is about 1/2 volume of air cycled per hour. Again, SI-- every m^3 of air per degree K difference will have ABOUT 1 kJ of energy for any Normal temperature range. As you recall, a kJ for 1 second is a kW, thus 3600 kJ = 1 kWh.

But anyway, If it's just a brick wall, 2 layers of brick, mortar, etc-- I'd be surprised if it's even an imperial R-3.

Fuck style, structurally in build that bitch, 12", 1x2s on 12", lattice. Pin 0.5 mm HDPE up against the wall prior to screwing in the furling strips, give yourself enough slack to roll it over the top/bottom plate and up in front so you have a hermetically sealed 'bubble' of plastic. Seal the interface thermally-- HDPE welder, things are cheep, or rent a pro-grade one.

Weld all but a flap in the corner. Rent a cellulose insulation blower, and buy enough bales to fill the partition out-- this is the most fun way to insulate by FAR. Pretty cheep/R too!

Put hose in, blast fluff in there, because the clear plastic you can see what you're doing. If you've never insulated another way, the glory might be lost on you-- just trust me, every other fucking way to insulate is a kick in the dick.

Finally, take some wall board, 1/2" is fine, and screw it on 32" on 12" to your 1x2 studs of the lattice in build. Tape, plaster, sand, feather 3 times, then paint.

WIN.
>>
just make some plastic blankets and you'll be fine hobo style
>>
just pitch a tent in your living room and cover it with blankets. knock the thermostat down to 50
>>
>>1096069
plenty of houses in europe have exposed brick on the inner wall. The trick is to insulate between the inner and outer layer of the outside wall so piss of with the eurotrash shit.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.