[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brass

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 11

File: doyouevendoffbro.jpg (20KB, 430x285px) Image search: [Google]
doyouevendoffbro.jpg
20KB, 430x285px
What is the strongest type of brass?
I've been searching on google and from what Ive found it is either Red Brass or Naval Brass.
Also Questions that do not deserve their own thread thread.
>>
File: becu.jpg (276KB, 850x708px) Image search: [Google]
becu.jpg
276KB, 850x708px
>>1092544
beryllium copper
>inb4 not brass
>>
>>1092598
>beryllium copper
>becu
>not copper beryllium
>cube
Their brand logo could even be a cube of some sort. They fucked it all up.
>>
>>1092544
To the best of my knowledge red should be the strongest, though I'm just comparing by elemental makeup
>>
>>1092544
Strongest how?
>>
>>1092643
energy absorbed before plastic deformation
>>
>>1092544
Brass? What the fuck man the whole point of brass is that its soft isn't it?
On a related note I'm building a trampoline, what's the bounciest concrete mix?
You stupid fuck.
>>
>>1092662
>What the fuck man the whole point of brass is that its soft isn't it?

it doesn't spark
>>
>>1092655
that's toughness. strength is tensile strength, either at yield or ultimate.
>>
>>1092662
also, it doesn't splinter when it fails.
>>
>>1092667
no, toughness is the total energy absorbed before fracture and after plastic deformation. i want the brass with the highest energy absorbed while still in the linear elastic regime.
>>
File: all thud no boing.jpg (143KB, 694x716px) Image search: [Google]
all thud no boing.jpg
143KB, 694x716px
>>1092671
are you too autistic to simply ask "what hammer is good for hitting stuff i'm not supposed to hit?"
>>
File: thisismyhappyface.png (461KB, 565x486px) Image search: [Google]
thisismyhappyface.png
461KB, 565x486px
>>1092662
op here
I am researching this because i was interested in attempting to cast an ar15 lower out of brass. then finishing it off in the a1 styling with wood furniture.

Mods, this is not about building guns, its about researching materials
no need to delete pls
>>
>>1092683
its for the A S T H E T I C S
>>
File: sex.jpg (154KB, 660x495px) Image search: [Google]
sex.jpg
154KB, 660x495px
>>1092662
heres a copper plated one. i thought it was sex.
>>
File: Rick-Steves1.jpg (54KB, 362x394px) Image search: [Google]
Rick-Steves1.jpg
54KB, 362x394px
>>1092680
>>
>>1092683
Since plastic lowers are a thing, it won't matter much, but I suggest asking in machinist forums.

Plating or coatings are much easier ways to go.
>>
>>1092544
The red and naval brass are very similar in their tensile strength of being around 71000-75000psi each, so its not that much difference.
Considering a lot of aluminium alloys like say, 6061 billet which gets used in some receivers are about 40-41,000psi, its a good choice of material... except for one thing- weight.
>>
>>1092715
yeah weights gonna be a bitch. but honestly the aesthetic appeal would make up for it, especially if i was able to cast an upper as well. but thats more of a high stress part
>>
>>1092683
If this is for real, brass is a non-ferrous metal OP, meaning it has different "hardnesses" depending on its state of being worked. I've worked a decent amount of cartridge brass (260) and can tell you that if you work it enough, brass can be hard enough to make light duty springs with. Dead soft (annealed), it can bend if you look at too hard.

You do NOT want to cast an AR lower out of brass. You could conceivably swage one out of brass, or find a piece of hard brass and machine it out of that. Cast probably wouldn't blow up, but it would wear like crazy.
>>
>>1092662

Brass has self lubricating properties as well. That's why locks and keys and tons of door hardware use it.

Also, don't be a dick, dick.
>>
>>1092723
some areas would have to be cold worked. which would be difficult but not impossible. also the machining out of already hardened brass is a good idea. I got the idea from the henry leverguns that are brass, not the .22, which is brasslite, but the full power cartridge models
>>
>>1092731
And I was just sitting here thinking that they're aluminum in their natural state, what's the difference? You could use hardened inserts where necessary, but I'm almost of the opinion to call myself a dumbass and retract my whole first post. Fuck it. If you've got the money go for it OP. Post pics.
>>
>>1092732
Oh if i do it i will definitely post pics. but it will take a lot of time, which is something that i don't have a lot of right now unfortunately.
>>
>>1092665
This. I've seen enough videos of things going boom, even one from a guy that didn't care that the face of his dead blow was gouged. It then became the death blow.
>>
>>1092719
For sure, but I reckon you go with aluminium and then get it anodised to a brass colour- lot of those processes are something you can do at home with a minimum of materials and its actually a lot safer than bluing.
>>
>>1092544
For what purpose op?

Red brass contains lead so it's not food safe
>>
>>1092719
CNC the upper and lower and get over the casting fetish which is silly because you have to machine the casting afterwards. Download plans and machine the shit. Boom, done.

AR bolt locks into barrel. That's how the upper and lower can be aluminum or whatever metal you like.

However since the only reason you want brass is to LOOK at the brass then if you PLATE a commercial upper and lower you will SEE what you want to see. If any of this isn't clear, read it again.

http://www.cncguns.com/downloads.html

Again, there is no benefit in casting and a lot of extra work for nothing you will see. The way to succeed in machining is copy success, and AR designs date to the 1950s. Do what works if you want results.
>>
Have any of you guys made a water xylophone?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIO-JhMvu6M&list=PLA8iJAkpXzYA88C3uR1013tCs8ayfNikP&index=12
>>
>>1093204
Yes, in elementary school. It's only useful to illustrate how sound and tones work, not a practical instrument.

QUESTION:

First some context:
I have this jerk loud neighbor, he plays vulgar music really loud in his stereo in the middle of the night.

If the neighbors call the police on him he does turn it off but then he plays it even louder first thing in the morning. He's basically an asshole that can't be reasoned with.

So, my question is:
Is there a way to remotely kill electronics? I've googled it but I only find overly complicated and dubious stuff.
>>
File: 1480507916695.jpg (10KB, 602x438px) Image search: [Google]
1480507916695.jpg
10KB, 602x438px
>>1093372
There are ways but they are illegal to use. You can manufacture a small emp quite easily however you would have to be very close to his stereo. Perhaps if you had a way of setting it off remotely it would work. But it would be a one time use and wouldn't fry it enough to permanently damage anything. Also you would have to take care to not damage any of tour own electronics.
>>
Is there anywhere I can find a flashlight reflector without the flashlight? I just need a 1.75" reflector that I can put a light in. Parabolic, multisurfaced, whatever.
>>
File: horrible little things.jpg (14KB, 480x185px) Image search: [Google]
horrible little things.jpg
14KB, 480x185px
>>1094092
how about a burnt-out halogen spotlight?
>>
>>1094104
Oh I didn't think about that. MR11 would be the perfect diameter, I'd just have to get rid of the plug part sticking out.

Thanks, anon.
>>
>>1092637
And jet ski could have been boatercycle. Vacuum cleaner could have been vroom broom.
>>
>>1093372
>Go to his house when he is asleep
>Pull his electric meter

All his electronics are now inoperable

I live in an apartment building and had neighbors who would crank music loud and turn it down when police showed up only to crank it again.

I just started to turn off their power. Once they figured out they would go to the laundry room and turn it on again. I then started to padlock it off.
>>
File: reflector.jpg (462KB, 1396x932px) Image search: [Google]
reflector.jpg
462KB, 1396x932px
>>1094104
Or pic related.
>>
>>1094092
I made some yesterday from reflective cardboard, kek. Dont' worry it's low votage DC bulbs.
>>
File: 203498083.jpg (235KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
203498083.jpg
235KB, 800x587px
>>1095172
>>
>>1093204
All their videos are 50/50 likes dislikes??
60k views?
>>
File: 20161207_093300.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20161207_093300.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
speaking of brass... just ripped apart this valve today and cleaning up the brass for scrap. will update project for science.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.