[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mellotron

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: 0.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
hello /diy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JusrHgiBUKA

I've wanted to make one of these for a very long time now. I have no electronic experiance in terms of components, breadboard etc but I can solder to a reasonable level.
I understand the principle of this key board but do not know where to begin in terms of components or wiring.

could any kind anon, draw for me a brief schematic in idiots terms of three or 4 notes (I can then repeat the process through the octaves)
its basically I need the tapes motor to run at specific speeds when a different note on the keyboard. Ill need to tune all of the different speed to their respective tones on the keyboard.

any advice would be appreciated. thanks lads.
Ive got a fw old pallets lying around
>>
I have a 9 volt moter to test with
various capacitors
various potentiometers
wire
beer
hope
>>
File: 1480131630240.jpg (151KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1480131630240.jpg
151KB, 800x600px
>>1092521
pls
>>
Not sure what you mean by a schematic of notes, but here's a link to the frequencies of each note through the octaves.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiGk-WR6dTQAhWk7YMKHXgWAq0QFggcMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.liutaiomottola.com%2Fformulae%2Ffreqtab.htm&usg=AFQjCNEpobKB8z4Nk_qlAC1a9zvV7F9W-A&sig2=LYK809C-L6l64W_iWGgF7A&bvm=bv.139782543,d.amc

Start with your low note, then Increase speed in the same ratio as the wavelength increases between each note, or throw a potentiometer in there to find each consecutive note with a tuner next to the setup to do it without using maths. Or google, I did a quick search and found tons of people's mellotron builds, one of them has to have a tuning guide ready to go for you.

That's all I got, OP.
>>
>>1092799
thanks for the help, anon.
I have had a look on google but didn't find much or anything written simply enough for me to follow.
i will keep looking though.
thanks for the link, it will come in handy.

like i said, i know how the thing works its just I'm not sure where to begin with wiring so was after some help with the first few steps.

the problem with circuit bending and diy music equipment is that no one wants to share their designs!!! drives me mental :)
thanks for you're reply
>>
File: staringatthesun.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
staringatthesun.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>1092552
please what
>>
>>1092822
bls help
>>
File: T1jQu.png (14KB, 600x581px) Image search: [Google]
T1jQu.png
14KB, 600x581px
>>1092521
I've done a similar project. Opamp with a general purpose PNP transistor to get enough power to run the tape drive motor. The component with the arrow is called a potentiometer. You use that to set the motor speed. You want a different one for each key and connect them to the Opamp through the key switch. A large pulldown resistor right at the opamp input so it stops when no key is pressed.

The load is just the DC motor from the walkman. Cut its wires right off the PCB. Be warned that occasionally a walkman will have some fancy brushless motor instead of a simple DC one. This won't work for those.
>>
>>1092825
easy tits or gtfo
>>
>>1092826
ah niceee.
this is good tuff, getting closer. thanks.
I will need to translate this information into a picture that I can follow next.
my uncle will know how to re draw this for me, hes good with electronics but hes also an asshole.

if i draw my circuit so far, could you or anyone else connect the wires for me and the various additional components?
>>
I'm into modular synthesis
it could be interesting to just have the speed voltage controlled.
i imgine 1v/octave might be hard to achieve, so i'd control it with a sequencer or some source of random voltage steps.

maybe an input jack so i can record waveforms onto it.

this is vaguely synth related, any eurorack heads here?
>>
>>1094328
im a fan but dont have the money to join you bros just yet :(
>>
>>1094330
its diy mang
wing it and halfass it with protoboard and cheap components from china.

if i was starting out I'd consider going for banana cables instead of jacks.
cheaper and easier.
way to 'normal' unplugged sockets, but that's not a big deal.
>>
>>1094382
>banana cables instead of jacks
I've found RCA jacks and cables are much cheaper than banana jacks since they're less of a niche item. Every piece of AV equipment you pull from a dumpster will have dozens of the jacks. Thrift stores will have cables. Big bags of them for a few dollars from China.

You can stick banana cables in RCA jacks too if you want.
>>
File: 20161125_233512.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20161125_233512.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1094405
rca jack, really?

euro has 3,5mm jacks
motm and older stuff like moog has 1/4" jacks
serge uses banana

never seen rca jacks..
but big maybe, but anything works.

banana cables cost almost nothing on ebay though. and stackable.
stackable 3,5mm jacks are a rarity and quite expencive.

still I'm stuck with 3,5mm
i bought a bunch of braided 1M jacks form china for 1£ a pair, cut them in half and solder a mono jack on the other side.
leaving the ring unconnected.
works well enough
>>
>>1094772
3.5mm is definitely the easiest to find if you're going junk hunting, since tons of consumer electronics have them, but old and busted stereo systems aren't difficult to find, and I don't think I've ever seen one that didn't have at least half a dozen pairs RCA jacks on the back, plus sometimes a 1/4" or 3.5mm headphone jack on the front.
>>
>>1094833
do you find scavenging for jacks worth it?

i bought a bag of 50 3.5mm jack sockets for 10£ on ebay.
they aren't the best, but at least the are uniform.
>>
>>1094872
nah, i usually just find them when out looking for interesting shit, i don't go out looking specifically for them. they're worth keeping if i do though, never know when you'll need some kind of adapter and they're not hard to make yourself

thanks to that i have a bunch laying around for when i need them. don't see myself ever needing 50
>>
File: 20161111_011200.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20161111_011200.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1094884
>don't see myself ever needing 50
wut
I already killed the previous bag of 50, and my rig isn't that big.
some were used one projects that are on hold or given up that i haven't harvested yet.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.