[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tiny homes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 29

Why do people pay so much for this shit?
I saw one online go for $50k, and I can't figure it out.
It looks like the materials would cost, at most, $10k. And that's if you go all out on it.
>>
>>1092181
They get memed into it.
>>
>>1092181
It was supposed to be a cheaper solution to travel trailers but then it became /fa/shion and people started paying stupid prices.

If you build it yourself they can be really cheap.

T. Tiny home owner
>>
>>1092188
>If you build it yourself they can be really cheap.
desu, that's the only way that I would get a tiny home.
I would have a fucking blast designing the electrical system.

I would be worried about having to follow some sort of DOT regulation, though.
>>
>>1092190
Oh come on, the word filter exists on /diy/ too?
>>
>>1092181
tiny houses are for people who are to retarded to design a house that can meet code requirements and just want to slap some shit together. the reason they are on trailers is to dodge the legal definition of a house and squirm through square footage laws.

spend the time to learn construction methods and just build a real fucking house.
>>
File: 00909_dme3nZDHpe1_1200x900.jpg (35KB, 506x900px) Image search: [Google]
00909_dme3nZDHpe1_1200x900.jpg
35KB, 506x900px
>>1092193
I'm not trying to build a fucking house, cockgobbler, I just want to have some fun.
But then people are trying to sell pic related for $28k.
>>
>>1092190
This.

Mine is built like a real home. Just over 400 sq ft.

>if I wanted wheels I'd buy a trailer house

It is fun to design. I'm planning an add on so I'll be a little over 500 sq ft so technically not a tiny home.

In the end they became a normie meme and this drove the price up.
>>
>>1092202
Isn't it still considered a dwelling, though? I thought anything inhabited for over 3 months of the year was considered a regular house.
>>
>>1092204
Depends on where you live. Where I'm at anything under 120 square feet is an outbuilding and not subject to the building code. Also, anything not on a permanent foundation is also not subject to the code. Those are blanket exemptions that always apply. There are times when you can build stuff that would not normally be exempt from code but you can have it written off as such with a special permit (IE permission from the county). People sometimes do this with garages and shops out here because it means you can put the studs father apart, not put in a full slab foundation, ignore roof pitch requirements, property line setbacks, etc. All that can halve the cost of the building because of the fucking frost heave problem we have here.

Let me tell you, putting in a fucking fence post or a mailbox is just about a bi-annual thing out here, unless you want to dig half way to China. Never skimp on that shit in the place you plan to live in and want to last longer than your average pair of socks, though.
>>
>>1092204
I once inhabited a subway bathroom for over 3 months, does that mean it became my home?
>>
>>1092190
Former trucker fag checking in

>some sort of DOT regulation.

You mean abide by a bunch of cucked new fans fucking Nazis tier bullshit.

Under 10,000 pounds.

Tail lights and blinkers wich can be one unit if you get meme tier trailer wiring kit or follow the rules on your own.

Tail lights have to be a certain size but u wanna be visible anuway. So go with a 3 or 4 inch diameter led light. And red on the back, amber on the sides.

Don't forget a tag and tag light if u need it.

Good luck dealing with those egregious fucking pole smokers.
>>
>>1092951
I've never seen a functional subway bathroom.
>>
>>1092181
Total material cost is probably closer to $15-20k without knowing the interior. The outside looks pretty decent, so i'd assume they outfit the interior with some nice ammenities.

Then theres labor of competent builders to install all of it. When you make $12 an hour to be some low level jerkoff, a drywall hanger can charge $25 an hour, an electrician or plumber can charge $90 an hour, or a framer banging this shit out at $40 an hour. Labor to do small jobs like this is at a higher rate to make the job worth their time.

Otherwise you end up with some /diy/ dude thinking he could make a tiny trailer shed and realizes it'll cost more than a used RV just like in >>1092195
>>
File: aframe.jpg (61KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
aframe.jpg
61KB, 736x552px
For single people with simple housing needs, they're an alternative to the oversize houses that make up most of the market. Thought about getting one myself but am leaning towards building a basic a-frame cabin instead.
>>
>>1093166
i love a frames
>>
File: max cozy.jpg (24KB, 490x282px) Image search: [Google]
max cozy.jpg
24KB, 490x282px
>>1093193
Lived in one for several years as a child. It was off the scale in coziness. But then my parents had my sister and we moved to a generic 3+2 to have more space. Still harbor a bit of resentment against her for that.
>>
File: IMG_0880.jpg (97KB, 641x626px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0880.jpg
97KB, 641x626px
>>1093421
>you will never ever be this cozy

Why even live desu
>>
High demand, low supply

Tiny houses are a meme right now. Rich/dumb people fall for it.
>>
>>1093155
Not OP

I get that they cost more but isn't that expected to get a little bit of customization? Isn't that better than some cookie cutter trailer?

>inb4 most tiny houses are the exact same layout

This is true but I've also seem some really comfy designs.

>>1093166
>for single people
This. They need to stop trying to squeeze whole families into these things.
>>
>>1093663
Theres only so many ways you can customize 150sq ft, and you want to maximize the utility of the space as well.

Theres only so much customization a builder can possibly do as well; he's likely use to pre-fab wherever possible to provide a quality result, but still get the job done quickly. What did you have in mind?
>>
File: solar.jpg (98KB, 736x531px) Image search: [Google]
solar.jpg
98KB, 736x531px
Wonder how well the solar shingle Elon Musk's company are going to make would work on an a-frame. If it was oriented north/south, the walls would get tons of light year around. The one in the pic looks like crap with the traditional solar panels on it but the Musk shingles appear to look nice.
>>
>>1093674
>Theres only so many ways you can customize 150sq ft

You're right though, but I'm going to be living in close to 500 sq ft when I'm finished. It'll give me a lot more options.

I know that's technically not a tiny house but it is small. I won't be on a fucking trailer either.

I guess when I say customize I really mean decorate so it doesn't look like a common travel trailer. I think that's what they are going for.
>>
>>1093882
You mean architectural aesthetics on the exterior then. And still, if you're trying to make a small box not look like a small box, the price really starts to jump which defeats the purpose of a tiny house.
>>
>>1092181
Because it's a meme. Bonsai houses for hipsters.
>>
>>1094265
More of the reason is that they are being used for GUEST HOUSING/ In-law's deflection. Now the assholes/poor-people/snoops have no reason to mess around in our house during the holidays/weddings/etc.
>>
>>1094287
This is why I bought the crack den next door.

Fucking hate company.
>>
>>1093166
A frames suck imho. 2 tilted walls are just not practical at all.
>>
Ever heard of supply-and-demand?

Materials cost ~$10,000 for a basic tiny home on wheels.

Demand is inflation of interest - interest goes up and down, the price reflects it 1:1.

Better off finding pre-engineered plans for a frame and build it yourself.
>>
>>1093155
>outside looks pretty decent

i'm 95% sure that wall is made of plywood
>>
>>1092181
couldn't you dig a little space into the ground and have the house/trailer sitting in it/hiding the wheels that so it doesnt /look/ like it's just sitting on a trailer? I like tiny houses like this, but i never did like sticking them on flatbeds
>>
>>1094481
Looks like shiplap siding to me. If whoever made it were smart, they would have used vinyl shiplap siding to save on weight and cost.
>>
>>1094482
wouldn't that fill up with water or critters? unless it was really planned out to drain properly and everything... probably easier to just come up with a nice looking 'skirting' system to hide wheels and such.
>>
>>1094485
You stupid fuck, do not even know what climate this is to be used in. Vinyl siding does not work well in very hot climates. Dumb cunt
>>
>>1094626
What makes you think OPs pic is in a very hot climate with all those birch trees?
>>
>>1092181
A guy was building his here for $80,000. Then it was stolen.
>>
>>1094471
If you understand that you're sacrificing total floor space by the tilt of the wall and can decorate accordingly, there is nothing really impractical about it. You have two flat walls, anyway.
>>
>>1094753
Thats partially true; you can fill the dead space from the floor to about 3 feet up with short appliances such as a water heater, furnace, or wood stove, or include a dresser. But then you've still go the wasted space from 4 feet up to the peak along the sloped wall. You can't hang decorations like a normal person, and tall items such as a television set on top of a credenza is still further away from the corner of the wall, leaving you with a small deadspace.
>>
>>1092181
>Why do people pay so much for this shit?

Meme tax.
>>
File: Container FTW.jpg (3MB, 1320x990px) Image search: [Google]
Container FTW.jpg
3MB, 1320x990px
>>1092181
They haven't put enough thought into other cheaper, better [spoiler]underground[/spoiler] housing ideas.
>>
File: dogs.jpg (37KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
dogs.jpg
37KB, 736x552px
>>1094758
Most houses have some kind of dead space but yes an a-frame likely will have more than most homes do. But even when subtracting that space out of the square footage, it's still inexpensive per sq ft. If I build one I'll make part of the space near the sloped wall into cubby dens for the dogs.
>>
Delivered some building materials to a guy who was building a house on a 53' lowboy steel & aluminum trailer, he already had the steel studs up and I was delivering wood siding and planks, and the corrugated steel for the roof
He was building it in a warehouse and would move it to 100 acres he owned
It was 500 square feet on the main floor and the 2 lofts added another 250 square feet
He was insulating it with closed cell spry foam all the wiring was inside conduit and the plumbing was all insulated
His plans looked pretty good, he was a truck driver so the moving part was no big deal
He said he would be adding a drop down deck all the way around and a lift up awning
The total road with would be 10 feet, but as long as it's moved in the daylight he didn't need a permit in our state
Since it is on wheels it is still considered a trailer, so his property tax would be zip, just registration fees, the county he lives in has the highest taxes in our state
Eventually he intends to build 3 more and put them together around a courtyard
He also had a huge industrial dumpster that he had welded closed and was insulating and lining with a pool liner, a portable low cost swimming pool
Gave me a lot of good ideas, probably going to build my own, bit a lot smaller, to use as a weekend place on a couple of acres I own
>>
>>1094471
They're practical in that they're fairly easy to erect compared to normal vertical walls, not in that they're space efficient or any cheaper than conventional building (except maybe in literal time taken)
>>
Really though, why not just buy a used RV. Them renovate it?

It's not hard, can travel, and the resale market is vast. Plus you know it's structurally sound.
>>
Tfw no land to build on yet except swamp shit used for hunting that could be washed away if it rains too much.
>>
>>1095244
>the American trailer park from Snow Crash is coming true
>>
reg Rv/campers are POS plastic and rubber membrane roofs...

if you want hight value and ROI when selling, buy an Airstream. i bought a 34ft Excella for $18,500, used it for 2 yrs on our mts property before setting up my small cabin, and sold it for $10k profit

If you found an older AS and did the renovations yourself, you could make some serious $.
>>
>>1095372
Airstream offer replacement aluminum panels etc for their older trailers too. Good stuff.
>>
File: skyrise-terrace-2.png (85KB, 416x268px) Image search: [Google]
skyrise-terrace-2.png
85KB, 416x268px
>>1095346
A experimental version was actually tried before Snow Crash was written but turned out to not be very practical.
>>
yep everything on them is replaceable, however the aluminum skin panels for them are hella expensive so you'll want 1 with good skin... it can be oxidized and dingy b/c if it's a older 1, when renovating strip and polish it; it'll get probably a 20% premium over a non polished 1... that shiny metal gets people going big time
>>
>>1095343
Have you ever been in an RV?

They're like the definition of corner-cutting cheap shit interiors.
>>
File: park model.jpg (286KB, 1066x800px) Image search: [Google]
park model.jpg
286KB, 1066x800px
>>1092181

Why would you pay $50k for a shed on wheels when you could buy one of these or a small mobile home for $50k? These people are stupid.
>>
>>1097121
Because lot fees for manufactured houses last forever. Lot fees depending where you are can be $300-$1500 a month.
>>
>>1092181
I've read that a good trailer itself can cost several K.
Also the build structure needs extra reinforcement to survive transportation.

Also there's a high profit margin :^)
>>
>>1095343
AFAIK most RVs are built 'mass-industry' style AKA with toxic building materials.

t. someone who watched a documentary on tiny houses and this was given as a reason
>>
>>1092181

>labour is free

boy you are a fucking moron. Not that I think they are worth it even with the cost of labour factored in.
>>
>>1097378
>Not that I think they are worth it even with the cost of labour factored in.
It can be very easily deduced from the context of the OP that this is what he meant.

You're the moron.
>>
>>1092181
in my country that would cost exactly the price of tools (if you dont have any), oil for chainsaw(i own a few forests like the huge majority of people where i live), few small windows and other minor stuff

could be done by literally any neet autist for a miserable price, you jsut need to invest time into it
>>
>>1092191
Sup senpai, yeah it sucks desu
>>
>>1095218
Yfw Otis is the homeowners stepson
>>
>>1097397
no, Otis is a dog but he died
>>
>>1097114
> them renovate it

I know the interiors suck, you can customize it yourself instead. Especially if you buy one that's inside is wrecked and get it dirt cheap
>>
>>1097121
source please.
That looks good
>>
>>1097645
>>1097121
nix my request - found it.
>>
Do you just put a tiny house on a parking lot?
Seems very unsafe.
>>
I want to buy a touring coach.

http://americancoach.com/
>>
>>1097122

Living in a trailer park is pretty stupid, the lot fees are pretty ridiculous. If you park a "tiny home" in a trailer park and you're still going to pay lot fees and most cities won't like somebody living in a shed on somebody's property. You buy one of those mobile homes and plop it on a few acres of land outside the city.
>>
File: 1469179769820.png (245KB, 450x349px) Image search: [Google]
1469179769820.png
245KB, 450x349px
>>1093166
that house
>>1093428
go back to trash opossum poster
>>
>>1092181
Well the majority of men in western countries are cucks so naturally the demand for cucksheds will be pretty high
>>
>>1098011
What about >>1097981? The lot fees are just a replacement for the property taxes and utilities don't cost much more than a small house.
>>
>>1092181
The reason why tiny houses are more expensive, assuming you're not getting scammed, is because you're buying higher quality materials. Your average American house is made of shitty sticks, duct tape, and determination. It's not made to last you a lifetime, it's built for planned senescence and cutting corners.

So while tiny houses are more expensive, they're also made to last. They're sturdier and basically exist as a long term home.

All that said, yeah, it's fucking retarded to buy tiny houses when you can build your own.
>>
>>1099420
None of what you just said is true, accurate, or reasonable.
>>
>>1092181
Because the average iq is 100.
>>
>>1099509
Hi Hillary!
>>
>>1099755
>higher quality materials
No, materials are materials and for mobile applications for making a dwelling as cheaply as possible, quality is usually lacking unless you pay for it.
>Average american house
get fucked, europoor
>tiny houses made to last
No, they're built for millenial hipsters that think $40,000 for a cuckshed is reasonable and $250,000 for a real house is unobtainable. As aforementioned, they're built as cheaply as possible and they're on a flexing trailer, which does not yield better longevity over say, a concrete slab.

Its retarded to buy or build these. People think they'll just build a $10,000 shed on a trailer, park it in the woods and live for free.

tl;dr yeah you're a moron.
>>
>>1092181
Why are houses expensive?
Supply and demand.
There isn't much of a market for tiny houses because normal people don't want to simulate living in a Swedish prison for the rest of their lives.
If you build tiny houses you have to charge lots of money for them so you can feed your starving family for the next few months until someone else decides it's a good idea.
This is how economics worth. For a seasonal example take Christmas lights, 5$ worth of leds and wire soldered together by machine put in a box and sold at a 800% markup. Because they are so shittily made they only last a few weeks before the bulbs die so turnover should be high shop why are they so expensive? Because the company has to make enough money to survive until next year. Nobody buys Christmas lights in June
>>
>>1099880
Modern Christmas lights are slapped together by Chinese manufacturers that make tons of other products year-round, and sold by companies that market tons of other products year-round. It's not like they're manufactured and marketed by some small company that literally does nothing else. Few products are nowadays.

That being said I think tiny houses are one niche that actually has small companies specializing in them, so the issue you describe might actually apply there in some cases.

I don't think it's that simple, though. I think a lot of it has to do with diminishing returns. With normal houses, the cost per square foot usually goes down the larger the size is. There are various reasons for that, such as there being far more demand for lower-middle class houses than upper-class mansions, construction becoming cheaper when it's one larger house versus two separate smaller houses, land being much cheaper per acre the more acres there are, etc.

If there are a lot of poor people in an area who can afford a $50,000 house but not a $200,000 house, it just makes sense that there will be more of a demand:supply imbalance at lower prices that will drive the prices up to that affordable $50,000 mark even if they're way overpriced for their size.

In the area I live in it's more so that there's huge demand for any house under $200,000 because that's about all most people can afford here. A 1000 square foot house can sell for $200,000, but a 4000 square foot house is a hard sell at $400,000 because there's simply few people here who can afford it at all, regardless of the fact that it's half the cost per square foot. There's also higher maintenance, climate control, and tax costs on top of that to consider.
>>
File: bst_wincart.png (577KB, 650x487px) Image search: [Google]
bst_wincart.png
577KB, 650x487px
>>1092181
Yeah tinyhome thread!
>>
My buddy is currently building one as a business.

Worst case scenario he'll put $30k in it. But more likely just about $22k. He's gonna sell it for around $50k. He can get the build done in just under 3 months. And that is working alone.

Not a bad business.

I can attest to the quality of the build. The amount of support and brackets are to make it as strong as it can possibly be. Wish I had taken some pics this week.
>>
>>1100111
Maybe its just because I'm in CA, but $80-100k "profit" isn't much when you consider overhead such as tooling, facilities, insurance, and licensing. All of these could easily eat up $30k of that profit.
>>
>>1099509
Someone never witnessed american construction. You are supposed to not hear the people in the next room fucking.
>>1099857
They don't have to be on a trailer at all if you live in a country that respects your freedom. also you can cut costs far more by having one single water/electricity wall instead of like 5 in a normal house and by having less space to heat and insulate. The problem is that standard parts are probably too huge and you will need more expensive fitting ones.
>>
>>1100114

Dude what.

He owns like 1000 in tools that will last a fucking long time. He builds it in his backyard.

Insurance and licensing? Ya just build it and sell it.

Commifornia sounds like a terrible place for business.
>>
>>1100133
He's just being a dickhead. They are no licensing requirements here as it's not built to code in the first place. It's not a permanent structure and is exempt. It's basically the same everywhere. The only people that get their tits in a twist about business regulation in Cali are people that don't know fuck all about the actual laws and alt-righters.
>>
>>1100125
>hear people in the next room
5/8" drywall with batt insulation stops that, want to make it soundproof? double layer of drywall and R19 insulation, even with plywood sheer wall would make it earthquake resistant and dead silent. I see you know little about actual construction.

>freedom
So, somalia, or Niger or rural india where nobody knows you exist? These tiny houses only have 4 walls, with 2 plumbing fixtures, of course its going to be on a single wall. What are you even trying to argue here?

>>1100133
>tools will last a fucking long time
saws and drills never war out, tools never break, consumables last forever. Fuck, where do you buy these from?
>Ya just build it and sell it.
Until the government gets wise that you're running a business and wants its cut, and mandates you get a license, bond, and insurance for building dwellings
Or until you get sued for faulty workmanship, or someone sues you for it even though a manufacturers part fails. Tiny space and someones dog dies of carbon monoxide poisoning because the owner is retarded. Just think of how stupid you are, and realize there are people much dumber than you and how they will always find a way to do something moronic and profit from it.
>>
>>1100144
>and mandates you get a license, bond, and insurance for building dwellings
They aren't dwellings. They are considered temporary structures and are exempt from code. Man, some people are thick. That is the whole point int building the little hipster shit trailers in the first place.

Also, google "sole proprietorship". Uncle same don't give a shit as long as you pay your taxes.
>>
>>1100144
>drywall and plywood
Kek, thanks for staying true to the stereotype.
>>
>>1100145
And when you're a sole proprietorship and are sued for any reason, even your personal property such as a real house can be possessed and factored into the settlement. Its why any smart business person would setup an LLC.
>>
File: pic001.jpg (399KB, 1824x1368px) Image search: [Google]
pic001.jpg
399KB, 1824x1368px
>>1100144
>saws and drills never war out, tools never break, consumables last forever. Fuck, where do you buy these from?
A wonderful place called "The Past". When tools were made to last, made to be user-serviceable, plastic was a thing records were made out of, and the only stuff coming out of China was dishware. Picture related. I'd put this bad boy against any tool made today. Guaranteed to twist the arm off any fuckwit that doesn't know what they are doing. This guy is already a 2 decades older than I am and its still going strong.
>>
>>1100147
Getting sued is one thing. Losing the court case is another. It's not hard to win a case when the law is on your side. Some shit sucker tried to sue me some years back because I sold him a truck and 6 months after he bought it the tranny blew up on him and the repair cost was more than what he paid for it. He bypassed small claims and tried to sue me for the cost of a new equivalent vehicle (about $40k USD). I have no clue how he even got a lawyer to help him as he was clearly a wingnut. In the end, he didn't get a fucking dime out of me and he had to pay my court costs. Since I was representing myself I just found what the average rate of a lawyer was in my area and multiplied that by the amount of my time he had wasted. It paid for a bathroom renovation with that money. I think of him every time I take a shit.
>>
>>1093155
Show me all those RV's you can get with solar panels, stinknigger.
>>
File: rv_solar_panels.jpg (705KB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
rv_solar_panels.jpg
705KB, 3872x2592px
>>1100158
Seriously?
>>
>>1099857
Build a house out of balancing single sheets of paper atop each other, anon.
After all
>materials are materials
>>
>>1099857
>$250000 for a house
That's a tiny house where I am, with a lot barely bigger than the house. California is fucking terrible and I can hardly wait to move.
>>
>>1100243
I know friend, I'm in California as well where the median house price is $600,000. Prices here are ludicrous.
>>
>>1100243
>>1100296
>Lives in city, complains about house prices.
Northstate is the beststate, dude.Move to a less dense part of the state. The median price for homes in my city is about $200k for a 3/2 on a 6th of an acre. I've seen 1 bedroom bachelor homes go for under $100k. It's beautiful up here too. No smog either. If you are some hipster fuck, though, you might be out of luck. While we do have a number of craft breweries there is a distinct lack of vape stores and no Uber, so you will have to learn how to drive and maintain a car like an adult.
>>
>>1100341
I live 5 minutes from the beach, no smog, 6 craft breweries within a 8 minute drive, and its not northern california.
>>
>>1100346
There are many nice places in CA that are not $600k for a closet in a ghetto, is the point I was trying to make. But good job making me have to spell it out for you.
>>
>>1100349
Yeah, there are a lot of places in CA not in a ghetto, but that doesn't make them appealing places to live. Shit, I could move to Wyoming in a very nice area, doesn't make it an appealing thought.
>>
>>1095104
Oh my kek
>>
File: Capture.png (313KB, 1054x475px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
313KB, 1054x475px
i gotta question. was gonna make a thread but since this is here. i dont want one of these houses on wheels. i want a legit small home. like 16x30ft 2 floor or lofted. im aware i could build this myself or hire some mexicans to do it once its designed but there are these prefab "sheds" that can be converted to homes pretty easily. is it worth looking into the prefabs or should i just start pricing out and planning to frame it up myself? id really rather not have to do the outer walls, flooring, and roofing
>>
>>1102515
For a small house like that, with slab on grade expect to pay about $300-$350 per square foot, more if you want really nice materials. Plus the cost of land of course, and cost to prep the land such as well, electricity, gas, etc.
>>
>>1102516
yeah? whats your point here?
also im not sure what youre saying is gonna cost $350 per square foot but i seriously doubt anything involved with that kind of project will cost $350k
>>
File: SWA_huts_400x.jpg (51KB, 400x253px) Image search: [Google]
SWA_huts_400x.jpg
51KB, 400x253px
>>1102515
what you want is a SWA hut. the military uses a 16x32 layout on a piered foundation. a crew of 6 could knock one of these out in a day and they had an approximate cost of 3500$ in materials. this was not finish house quality, this was plywood walls and floors with open rafters.

you would still need to vaporbarrier/siding the outside and insulate and finish the inside, but for the price of one of those sheds you'd get a completely finished 500 sqft cabin.

shit, a fully finished single wide only ~16k$ brand new. might as well do that.
>>
>>1102525
well not really. i dont want a military hut. i want a house thats small. it seems like that could work but i want a 2nd story and all the things an actual house comes with.
and a trailer really isnt an option. again, i want to live in an actual house.
money isn't the biggest concern because my budget is near 50k which seems to be more than reasonable but if i could do it for $20k id obviously be happy but i dont want to compromise on having an actual house
>>
>>1102521
16x30=480 ft square
480x$350=$168,000 for nice granite counters, permits, general contractor, slab, plumbing, electricity, and the regular shit a house has.

You could probably jew it down to $200-250 a foot if you want cheap prefab shit.
>>
File: 16x32.jpg (835KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
16x32.jpg
835KB, 1000x750px
>>1102527
my friend, if your definition of a "real house" is a stick framed, concrete foundation, asphalt shingled box, then yes, those huts are real houses.

its literally the same shit except a normal residential house has drywall on the inside and some sort of siding on the outside.
>>
>>1102528
well im def not getting granite counters but the plumbing, electric, wall framing and everything else im gonna do myself with some day laborers. im not sure about the permits tho.
i seriously doubt its gonna be more than 50k tho considering this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc2Ch6czYJU
costs 50k fully furnished and delivered. so if i do it all myself, how could it cost more?

>>1102529
yeah i guess so, so i could do the weather wrap and siding myself? if thats the case then ill look into it
>>
>>1102528
tell me where you live where a contractor can get away with charging 170k$ to build a 500 sq ft house.
>>
>>1102535
CA, HI, pretty much any of the coastal areas, middle of nowhere kinda places.

In southern CA, adding a 2nd story to a house can easily be $250k for an average kinda house.
>>
>>1097397

It's ok, he's in wizard school now.
>>
File: enclosed cargo trailer.jpg (126KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
enclosed cargo trailer.jpg
126KB, 640x480px
I'm kind of mulling around with the idea of converting a cargo trailer into a sort of tiny house. Obviously at under 100 square feet, the possibilities are limited. But at around 2500 new, that gets you your basic floor, walls, ceiling, and doors, in nondescript box form. Assuming a very mild climate, it seems like you'd be able to shove just about everything a body needs in there aside from a shower, which I'm already paying for at a gym.

Way I figure it, rent out here is north of 10k/year for a studio with a shared fucking bathroom, let alone a 1bed. If I could get out of renting for even one year, I'd be a damn sight further along the way towards saving for a down payment. Of course, I'd imagine living in a tiny weird box is not going to prove popular with the ladies, even if it is outfitted with solar power so's I can watch pirated anime.

I suppose the smarter option would be to look for work somewhere more rural, but my career trends towards the outskirts of urban areas.
>>
I don't get it either. Why not just live in a Mercedes mayback. Cost the same
>>
I'm currently building (rather, doing the labor and paying for supplies, while this old guy bro is telling me what to do and designing shit for me) and I have a lot of questions about suggestions and shit. Should I do that here? Make my own thread? Will post pics of progress so far.
>>
>>1102781
post it
>>
>>1102781
This thread has 200 ish post left. You can do it here.
>>
>>1092191
You really thought it didn't? baka desu senpai
>>
>>1093680
I hope someday I can make a solar powered house and be able to cut myself off from the governments power. Gotta live on an unowned island of course, and remember to bring small scale industrial machines and some good weaponry to protect myself. I know it sounds like a dream, but hey, planes exist and for thousands of years people said it would never happen, it was a gay dream. So why not? See, you'll never achieve anarchy by expecting the state to do something, that's fucking retarded. To truly be an anarchist you have to act regardless of everyone else by yourself. It's about what you as an individual decide, not other people.
>>
File: 1482294047028.png (497KB, 650x481px) Image search: [Google]
1482294047028.png
497KB, 650x481px
>>1095104
>US Navy SEALS stealthily infiltrate enemy ports using containers cunningly disguised as containers
>>
File: MATTHEW_MCCONAUGHEY_33984141.jpg (70KB, 1024x687px) Image search: [Google]
MATTHEW_MCCONAUGHEY_33984141.jpg
70KB, 1024x687px
>>1100084
Is that Matthew McConaughey?
>>
>>1102515
alright im back with a little better understanding and after watching this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2KfsJoZCnM
simple house framing video i really think i might as well do it myself so that it can be my ideal dimensions.
i know its pretty impossible but any of you guys have any idea on what the building materials cost on a 2 story 16x20ft house might be?
>>
File: IMG_20161120_144457020_HDR.jpg (4MB, 5248x2952px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161120_144457020_HDR.jpg
4MB, 5248x2952px
1/???
>>
File: IMG_20161218_110302039.jpg (4MB, 5248x2952px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161218_110302039.jpg
4MB, 5248x2952px
2/???
>>
>>1092191
its global desu
>>
File: IMG_20161212_161726675.jpg (3MB, 5248x2952px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161212_161726675.jpg
3MB, 5248x2952px
3/???
I'm also at work with hardly any signal, so sorry if I take a while.
>>
File: IMG_20161204_152009851.jpg (4MB, 2952x5248px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161204_152009851.jpg
4MB, 2952x5248px
4/???
>>
File: IMG_20161211_152051088.jpg (4MB, 2952x5248px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161211_152051088.jpg
4MB, 2952x5248px
5/???
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-21-12-03-46.png (842KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-21-12-03-46.png
842KB, 1440x2560px
6/???
This is the toilet I'm thinking about getting. It has kinda shitty reviews (HAH), but it's the only toilet that has everything I want. (Waterless, Bayless, easily removable waste bins, no electricity needed)
>>
File: IMG_20161218_110329594.jpg (4MB, 5248x2952px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161218_110329594.jpg
4MB, 5248x2952px
My questions are: is there a better "off the grid" toilet?
Is there a better place to move where land is cheap, and tiny houses don't have restrictions?
Any suggestions for anything?
It's going to run on 12v. Hopefully as many solar panels and battery's as I can get on/in. It's going to have a nice little rounded stand up shower from Lowe's, probably with just a high pressure shower head. Sink water and shower water (depending on where I end up parking) will just get emptied onto the ground. Aluminum siding will probably be about 2 grand. Going to use a propane fridge, propane stove, propane water heater (probably 5 gallon, more if it'll fit.) Dual axle tow behind trailer. Any questions? Concerns? Ideas?
>>
>>1102590
You'd need a place to park these targo trailer properly, otherwise police/shitters will come annoy you.

I would totally do this if I knew a cheap place that I could rent out and live like this. There are "rv parks" but they still charge a hefty 300-500/m that makes it almost pointless.

>>1103256
Seems too expensive, aren't there other cheaper $100-200 alternatives?
>>
>>1103262
If it were my home, I'd definitely replace that 'staricase' with something that either folds up or a ladder
>>
>>1103262
>Any suggestions for anything?

If you're in a cooler state: vacuum panels, they're almost 7x more insulating for a given thickness than rock wool.
>>
>>1103274
We're going to put a bunch of shelves underneath. And the wife demanded stairs, or else that's what I would have done.
>>
>>1103275
What are vacuum panels? How do they work? Are they expensive?
>>
File: Highlighted.jpg (3MB, 5248x2952px) Image search: [Google]
Highlighted.jpg
3MB, 5248x2952px
>>1103284
In that case, might I suggest pool noodles in the areas highlighted in green? Also, a thin cotton sheet tacked to the area of the ceiling highlighted in red with about a 30mm gap between it and the ceiling will reduce condensation when you're sleeping.
>>
>>1103285
Vacuum insulation panels are essentially the working part of a vacuum flask flattened out. They use a very sparse ceramic mesh to hold two pieces of aluminiumised mylar apart and the space between is evacuated. This gives the best thermal insulation of any material on the planet (they make aerogels look like polystyrene) and they're also pretty good acoustic insulators as well.

I used some top of the line ones for a project I can't discuss here that worked out to about €100/sq m but they were smaller so I imagine they'll be cheaper per area if you go larger. You'll probably find them cheaper if you go with an older style, we used a new technology that takes the k value from 0.007W/m|K for typical vacuum panels down to 0.005W/m|K. This probably isn't worth it for you since the former are already incredibly insulating but my work required an absolute economy of weight and volume (I wish I could tell you more, I'm pretty sure /diy/ would be pretty interested).
>>
>>1092181
When, dear friend, have you ever bought something and paid ONLY for the material cost?

Also, the simple answer is supply and demand.
>>
>>1095244
>He also had a huge industrial dumpster that he had welded closed and was insulating and lining with a pool liner, a portable low cost swimming pool

I knew a guy who did this sans the liner. It was actually pretty cool. It was one of the shallow ones they use for roofing and shit. I think one of those tall ones would be awesome.

>>1095372
My aunt and uncle used to own an airstream back in the day. They decided to trade it in for one of the monster Class A RVs when they retired. No idea how much they got for it in a trade in, but I'm pretty sure they got royally fucked. I know a hippy who just paid 15k for a half rotted shell of an air stream.
>>
>>1092181
if you go this route make sure to park your little trailer shack against a cliff/hill or some type of wall

i know of 2 unrelated cases of attempted kidnapping where the perpetrator hooked his truck up to the hitch while the residents were sleeping and backed them and their homes into storage containers
Thread posts: 138
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.