[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fridge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: question-mark.jpg (22KB, 615x615px) Image search: [Google]
question-mark.jpg
22KB, 615x615px
I need to get a new fridge in the near future. I'm having to defrost my current one every other month it seems.

I've been looking through the sears outlet warehouse and found some that I like. There's also one at home depot but I am unsure if I should get the protection plan also?

Any appliance advice?
>>
>>1091947
>>>/adv/
>>
>>1091947
I generally avoid extended insurance plans, just stick with the manufacturers warranty.
>>
>>1091947
is your current fridge a frost free model?

if so remove the inside paneling from the freezer compartment, they have heating coils inside that are on a timer. occasionally over time if under the panel builds up with ice, and becomes too much for the limited time the defrost cycle is on causing frost to build up in the freezer compartment. just use a hair dryer and remove all the ice build up from under the panels and it will be fine again fro years. also the timer itself can go, 3rd party can be $100, they are usually under the fridge near the back.

as for your warrenty, i used to be a appliance repair man for Frigidaire, for warranty work no matter what job it was they paid for 20 minutes of labor and one way of travel. the place i worked ended up eating a lot of the cost to fix it and scheduled repairs on when i had another repair in the area.

stay away from extended warranty, if there is a defect it will be apparent shortly after you use it, paying for years is a waste because 99% of the time nothing will break.

all manufacturers appliances break i've worked on them all, for washers and dryers i recommend whirlpool because they are easiest to take apart. stay away from "new" features because they get rushed into production. i remember GE's smart fridge fiasco, the PCB that controlled everything was shit and wasn't sealed well and corroded.
>>
>>1091947
What's the model # of your current fridge? Appliance repair fag here, probably an easier fix than you might think... if your determined to replace it look for the simplest fridge you can find, freezer on top preferably with a mechanical cold control (if it has one then it'll have a knob to adjust the temp in the fridge that turns with some resistance...). If possible find one with the large black condenser flat mounted to the back since they don't have a condenser fan to fail... bonus is these are generally the cheapest.

If you buy any French door style or fancy fridge with an electronic display and water dispenser then I'd consider the extended warranty... cheaper than a repair when the boards are easily $100 in parts... if you don't use it it's peace of mind.
>>
>>1092024
Were you sears A&E? Most extended warranties are a onetime payment when you purchase vs ongoing payments.. other than sears who like to push their extended service contract bs.
>>
>>1092024
Also look for the drain hole, make sure a frozen pea or piece of corn insn't stuck, clogging the drain.
>>
>>1092090
hell no, i was with a mom and pop's licensed frigidaire dealer plus we had a shop for electronics repair. we didn't push extended warranties as they were basically a waste of money. we covered warranties in our area which was about a 30 mile radius.

i left the place back in 2005, repairing was the easy part despite the shitholes i've been in to fix things. it was deliveries, i worked alone. if someone wants something delivered its usually a pain in the ass. sure appliances aren't that heavy, but removing fridges from the 40's up rickety stairs alone sucked, i left before i hurt my back.

kenmore and frigidaire are same company, whirlpool bought maytag, these days your just paying for a name. the only thing that sets anyone apart is whirlpool, 2 screws and flip up the control panel, pop 2 clips and tilt the cabinet at 45 degrees and lift up and you can access everything inside a washer or dryer. everything else usually has 20 screws that you have to remove from the front an rear of the machines and need 64 square feet of space.
>>
>>1092621
also we inspected every box as it was taken off the truck for damage. if something is going to go that is a defect its going to be well within the manufactures warranty period. after that its years before stuff wears out. Frigidaire had defective wigwams (connected the motor to the transmission) on their washers, thats the only thing i've every repaired that would have been covered by a extended warranty, but the part itself was $9(consumer cost), and took no more than 15 minutes to swap out (philips screw driver and 9/16's socket with 6 inch extension), so you were stuck with the flat charge of having a repair man come out, back in 2005 you were looking at a $39 bill.

most people can change drum glides, bearings, pumps, solenoids, belts themselves if they are remotely competent. as far as fridges go, its usually a seal problem that causes the compressor to burn out from over working itself to death, not worth fixing IMO. the only advice i have for repairing appliances yourself is don't fuck with heating elements, you'll either keep tripping breakers or you'll burn your house down. though its not like you can legally use refrigeration gauges without a license, granted R22 you can vent directly to atmosphere, most refrigerants have to be reclaimed.
>>
>>1091947
For the most part they have worked out for us. Todays appliances are not made like 50 years ago.
>>
>>1092621
Ah yeah we don't do deliveries. In home repairs only.

I think you're thinking Electrolux owns Frigidaire, because Kenmore sears is brand and they're all sorts of different shit .

Also RIP to the old whirlpool direct drive topload washer :(. They replaced it around 2014 with a variable speed motor belt drive model that has a 300$ failure prone control panel... price point on a new one starts around 400$ shockingly they don't get repaired a lot...

Also if you missed the news GE sold their appliance division to haier... fucking chinks

>>1092625

I think you mean wig wag ... bit before my time though.

R 22 has to be recovered, you're thinking of 134 a

I wouldn't trust half of my customers to be able to change a lightbulb let alone drum glides, and there's always those that just want to pay for the convenience of not having to screw with it .
>>
>>1092625
Unless by wigwam your talking about the coupler they redesigned... thought the wig wag was what let the old old topload whirlpools agitate.
>>
>>1092024
I have a 15cuft fridge/freezer combo that defrosting all the time and dripping water from freezer into the fridge. .any idea the cause?
>>
>>1093270
Drain line is clogged or frozen. Instead of running down to the drain pan the defrost water is running down through the vents or overflowing part of the drain system an ending up in the fridge, Take evaporator cover off and check for ice in freezer, if you see water dripping around the plastic control box in the top back of the fridge you'll likely have to take that off an clean/defrost/inspect it as well, post model # for better advice
>>
>>1093096
thats exactly the part, 2 three fingered parts coupled by a piece of rubber, they redesigned it because the plastic fingers broke.

lol thats what i was told the part was called anyways, over a 2 year period i must have replaced 40 of them
>>
>>1093093

back in 2004-2005 frigidaire made kenmore. i only know this because i handled a few a mnufacturer warranty cases which came through frigidaire.

i think you're right with 134a, i don't even have a refrigeration license anymore. i wonder what they have to do with R8 now, 12 years ago to refill a system with R8, you could only transfer it out of one unit and put it in another on the premises. there was one mom and pops general store that purposely bought old junk refrigerators just to have a supply of R8 for their walk in coolers. it was cheaper than installing a new system, back then they had equivalents, but they weren't perfected by any means.

by not having to screw with it means its probably in a cramped space and you have all you can do just to get it apart.

i hate working on dishwashers, they're disgusting. once i went on a call where a guy thought he could fix himself and it was torn apart laying on his kitchen floor, he wasn't happy when i told him it would cost more in labor for me to put it back together than what a new one costs.

nothing like the old cat ladies/scumbags whose house reeks of cat piss and you pretty much have to shower right after leaving their place.
>>
>>1093766
>i wonder what they have to do with R8 now
I wonder what R8 is.
I work in refrigeration and have never heard of it.
Did a Google search and no one else has heard of it.
Tell us more of your made up life stories.
>>
r12 perhaps? i do know it was developed by dupont.

i haven't put gauges on anything in almost 13 years, give a man a break

since you know so much how much r22 can you legally vent to atmosphere while reclaiming?
>>
>>1094021
>how much r22 can you legally vent to atmosphere while reclaiming?
legally, none
>>
>>1094056
back in 2004 you could legally vent up to 2 ounces
>>
>>1091947
>if I should get the protection plan also?
as a general rule, no.
why would they try to sell it to you unless it made them money.
its like winning the lottery if it breaks, you just have to decide if you want to buy a ticket
>>
>>1094056
Deminimus release... but yeah, do try and recover it..
>>
>>1094021
Never run into r8, Most older stuff used r-12, We use r 409b to replace it, mostly only on expensive built in units where it's worth fixing...
>>
>>1094080
I'd argue it should come down to how ready you are to buy a new one at any given point vs the cost of the warranty.. however my viewpoint is skewed since I generally only see the broken ones, and in almost all cases the warranty was cheaper than our cash cost for the same repair.
>>
Mitsubishi make the best fridges, believe it or not. Their sizes can be a little odd though...
>>
>>1091947
>should get the protection plan also?

I bought a kenmore elite fridge 2 years ago. Because i did my homework and found out what pieces of shit new fridges are I got the extended warranty. It was expensive. I've had 3 service calls so far that, if I had paid it myself, would have been more expensive. If the fridge dies at 4 years 6 months they replace the whole thing.
>>
>>1094962
Appliance repair guy here, Don't forget if you get it serviced at 4 years 10 months and 3 months later it conks out you can sometimes get the extended warranty company to strong arm the last repair company into fixing it... doesn't always work but free to try so why not?
>>
go to home depot

buy a basic GE
>>
>>1093270
>defrosting all the time

Defrost timer or sensor is busted.
>>
>>1097781
Timer usually cuts out the compressor, if it was stuck in defrost mode his complaint would be no cooling and no compressor noise...
>>
>>1097946
>Timer usually cuts out the compressor

It's possible for the timer motor to fail it the refrigerate mode. Always cooling, never defrosting.

A bad sensor will prevent the defrost heater from coming on, so the timer will just skip through the defrost cycle doing nothing.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.