[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making Burls?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

After watching the show "burl hunters" some buddies and I have been reflecting on our lives in the woods and where we may find some easy money to fund cookouts and such.

It seems as though Burls are often made from certain types of mold and insect infestations.

What do you think the success rate is?

Would it be possible or worthwhile to try and grow some burls or infect otherwise healthy trees?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burl
>>
>>1091920
y tho
>>
>"xxxxxx hunters"

I guess its a good think they demonstrate their lack of imagination when it comes to these shows so we know which ones to avoid.
>>
>>1091920
No
>>
>>1091920
I know a little about eucalypt burls, but those things tend to take decades to form into some kind of size and can form from injuries to the tree. Also, it'll take about a year to dry properly, then you'll have to stabilise it with resin and a vacuum to make it hang together under any kind of duress.

Generally its easier to just ask farmers or forestry guys if they've got any areas set for felling you can go have a poke about in before it gets hit with the saw.
>>
>>1092245
Best idea.
Takes too long to purposely "from" burls thus the "hunting" aspect.
>>
File: IMG_20161009_102615.jpg (1MB, 3513x2088px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161009_102615.jpg
1MB, 3513x2088px
All I have to add is my wedding band is desert wood burl. I wish I had made it.
>>
Burls are tumors

I used to take a big rod of nickel and ram it in and after about 10 years you get a decent sized one
>>
>>1092443
May I ask where you acquired it?
>>
>>1092443
Very nice, I may do something like that

My wedding band has a (dyed) carbon fiber inlay but the resin holding it has got a lot of scratches so I was thinking of replacing the inlay with something else soon (rest is tungsten carbide so it's not going to exactly scratch when I'm removing the resin)
>>
File: 20161201_130305.jpg (904KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161201_130305.jpg
904KB, 3264x1836px
>>1092456
Pic related
>>
>>1092454
I definitely overpaid, but didn't want just a gold band. It's made by Lashbrooks - seems to be a very common brand in jewelry shops.
>>
>>1092443
Pretty legit anon. Thanks for the tips. I was aware it would take some years. Was looking at it as more of a set and forget investment for latter but it seems actively hunting and investing that money would be more fun an worth while. My brother found one in a new York state Park I really wanna steal but I don't want prison for a fucking 4k tree.
>>
>>1092446
Cool. Nickles is kinda expensive though right?
>>
>>1092456

Iron Desertwood which seems to be strong, and they've added a resin coating, but I'm skeptical it will last a lifetime.
>>
>>1092493
I figured, but what I have now won't last another decade so I'm thinking if I find something I can change the inlay our easily with that would be preferable
>>
>>1092491
Nah not really
>>
>>1092494
There are a few currently on eBay for under $200. I was halfway tempted to get a backup or another size in case I grow or shrink
>>
>>1092493
>>1092511

I found the opposite of what you said, in found desert ironwood burls
>>
File: lash.png (130KB, 1069x521px) Image search: [Google]
lash.png
130KB, 1069x521px
>>1092524
My bad, I was generally looking at wood rings from Lashbrook in my size.

Worth keeping an eye out or saved search running though. This is mine. I'd happily pay 10% of what I did for another.
>>
>>1092456
Crushed turquoise or lapis maybe?

>>1092493
Epoxy in a non-stressed environment should last decades, provided its been UV stabilised.
Stuff like epoxy floors in a garage take a heck of a beating for 10 years or so before they start looking a bit rough
>>
>>1091924
$$$$$$$$$$

dat quap
>>
>>1092765
Not a fan of blue
>>
>>1092902
Malachite, has a beautiful, lustrous green colour. You can also get crushed Opal, which is all kinds of colours and not nearly as expensive as the gemstone quality rocks. Amethyst 'can' be done as an inlay but its a pretty hard old rock to work with
>>
>>1092562
>Paying $2000 for something that has the functionality of a cock ring
>>
>>1092914
I've worked with opal in the past, if there isn't back lighting it looks shit, so wouldn't really work for an inlay, but Malachite could work, though I still am really liking the idea of burled wood
>>
>>1092919
Cock rings have real use so your statement is wrong
>>
>>1092924
You can use a metal ring to hold the rope together when you hang yourself. I wouldn't try a plastic ring with that
>>
>>1092927
Well they do make metal cockrings but I hear horror stories
>>
>>1092927
> not knowing how to tie a proper noose

You're on the wrong board boy
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.