[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Long shot but ok

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1.jpg (242KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
242KB, 1600x1600px
So we're completely renovating this house my partner bought. We're turning the front shed into a utility room (it's attached to the house already).

We want the floor tiled and it's a solid concrete floor. My question is, do we need to insulate the floor? The only way I've seen people do this is with building a false floor first... I can't seem to find any way of tiling on top of insulation?

Pic: One of the insulation types we are using. This one is going under our wooden flooring in the main part of the house.
>>
>>1091915
>solid concrete floor
if it is attatched, are you sure it isn't insulated already?
>>
File: images (23).jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images (23).jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>1091915
Nope. It its flat without a bunch of cracks get your knee pads out like a true /biz/in essence man and get to work bruh!

http://www.peimag.com/top-10-best-knee-pads-for-work/
>>
>>1091915
under-tile insulation boards exist but the R-factor's not great
you won't get warm comfy tiles without insulation AND underfloor heating
>>
>>1091915
No need. Just start tiling.
>>
>>1091915

Insulation needs bulk.

A couple mm thick foil insulates bugger all on it's own. Putting one layer of reflective foil in between joists and one layer on top works pretty well though.
>>
>>1091935
It's a 1970-ish home. The concrete isn't insulated but it seems like not many people bother insulating concrete floors anyway?
>>
>>1092134
It's 5mm thick foil and foam. On floorboards it seems mostly for sound insulation but attic insulation is more or less the same, about 1cm thick in the same material, which is just as effective as something like 2-4cm of typical kingspan stuff. The insulation value seems fine - I'm just wondering if it is worth it on a concrete floor with tiles on top.
>>
>>1092099
Ah right. Underfloor heating is out - far too expensive for this investment. We just wanted a floor that isn't absolutely ice cold. We already will have left over insulation from the main house due to the lengths you need to purchase it in, so were wondering if using it is better than nothing?
>>
>>1091939
Yeah it's a completely flat no crack floor. Would cracks matter though? I guess it only matters if there is movement? There are one or two pieces I can't quite see yet because building materials were stored there early in the build.
>>
>>1092153
>>1092154
You have a couple floor covering options if you don't want ceramic tile which often is cold. You could tile then lay area rugs like 90% of normal people.

Epoxy concrete floor finish is an option, but again, its cold and not many like the look of it. It comes in different color stains, but it either looks like a shop garage, art gallery, or dog kennel.

Laminate floor, engineered floor, and wood floor are all "wood" and generally aren't as cold as tile or concrete, however its never going to feel warm in the morning. I most commonly see house flippers installing laminate because it appeals to new home buyers, its dirt cheap (like $3.50/ft installed) and its fairly durable.

You lastly have carpet. Its fallen out of style recently, but some still demand it in living areas such as family rooms and bedrooms. It reduces echo, its never cold, and it feels good.

Your best bet is a mix of the above. Epoxy the mud room for easy cleaning, tile in the wet areas (kitchen/bath), laminate in common areas, carpet in bedrooms. Go to a flooring store and price it all out. Laminate is designed to be installed by a lay-person such as yourself, tile is doable if you take your time and do research, I wouldn't suggest installing wood or carpet yourself if you have zero experience. But if you can cut wood, its not very hard.
>>
It's a cuckshed. Who gives a fuck if your feet are cold while your wife takes the BBC
>>
>>1092168
Yeah carpet we're using in the livingroom, bedrooms, stairs and landing. Flooring downstairs and tile in bathroom/utility. I'm not opposed to carpet but we've been given a load of good tiles for free - seems a waste not to use them.

The normal people option of just tiling on concrete and getting a rug may suffice. The area should work fine with a rug and it's out of the way so shouldn't be subject to much movement.

Yeah we're putting a veneered laminate we got super cheap in the sale. Everything we've got for the house has been exceptionally cheap. I'm a landlord by trade so can do the work, I'm just unsure of approach mostly... and technically we are basically flipping the property but for living in and not for sale (not just yet anyway)

Thanks man. Super helpful.
>>
>>1092169
You're right. I'll go beat her until she accepts me for the alpha male I am and washes my clothes in a bucket outside instead.
>>
>>1092176
Were you hoping to have someone validate your flooring decision?
>>
>>1092149

Putting insulation underneath existing concrete floors is very common here (Netherlands, high energy costs).

The most popular are pur foam painted underneath in multiple layers and air pocket reflective insulation (the pocket screws of insulation, or in other words it can get the job done).
>>
>>1091915
Treat it like a basement and place sold foam sheets outside the structure; down and out will work.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.