[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Foundry Pants

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: metalcasting12.jpg (43KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
metalcasting12.jpg
43KB, 600x400px
I'm taking part in a pour pretty soon. They say wear natural fibers and avoid synthetics as they can melt, but if all I can find on short notice is 98% cotton 2% spandex would that be okay?

Other than that I'll be wearing standard PPE (leather boots, spats, jacket, hard hat, ect.) I'm not doing any actual pouring either. I'll just be keeping the molds hot, so I'll be well away from the flowing metal.
>>
Should be ok for someone not in the immediate pour area, but its not very resistant and will catch fire/get holes burnt through it quicker than you can say 'oh fuck'
Wool and wool blend are quite good in that they will last long enough for some lower temp metals to cool on the surface before they burn though, steels and the like tend to burn through anything though.
>>
>>1091727
You could always make an apron out of a few folded space blankets to get a thickness that would maybe save your ass
>>
>>1091727
Do you have a pair of old pants to spare? And do you got a sewing machine? I would make sort of leg aprons over top an old pair of pants with canvas.
>>
Cotton gives light protection, but it's probably enough if you'll be staying away from splashing metal. A tiny amount of blended spandex shouldn't be a problem, but that leads me to question how heavy those pants are. Do you have any jeans? Dense weaves form a mass of char that causes spatter to bounce off, while loose weaves have enough air in them for things to burn right through. Dense wool would be better, and kevlar/nomex would be best, at least until they get production of m5 going.
>>
>>1091727
Neat. Get pics!

I always wear jeans but my God they get hot. See if u can borrow some Cowboy or biker Bros leather chaps anon.
>>
>>1091800
they are in fact thick jeans, and they will be covered by standard ppe wear. so like kevlar aprons, long jackets, spats the whole 9 yards.
>>
>>1091727
if your that worried why not get yourself a full set of welding leathers?
>>
>>1091757
but those are just mylar foil
>>
>>1092067
they provide the full gear. i'm just talking about the normal clothes I wear underneath
>>
in all honesty if metal is spilled something is going wrong, i wear shorts under my overalls and PPE you'll be fine mate
>>
>>1092189
I mean to use aluminized stuff, not the super cheap shit, it still might be cheaper than buying a metal splash apron. But you can get those for about 150 online
>>
>>1091727
Leather chaps. Not just for gay parades.
>>
>>1092258
i've never done foundry work, but with welding i've had stuff burn through jeans, even if it just chars they stiff have to dig all that charred cotton out of the burn so it doesn't get infected.
>>
>>1092517
great, now i can't get the image of the biker from the village people in the ending scene of terminator 2 out of my head.

>>1091727
OP wear this https://www.amazon.com/Smiffys-36239-Village-People-Standard/dp/B002RC11T8
>>
>>1091727
You'll be 98% okay
>>
File: IMG_1009_.jpg (117KB, 458x630px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1009_.jpg
117KB, 458x630px
Slightly related.

I restored an old electric tube furnace the other day. The wires were fixed to the tube with a ceramic-like hard material (marked with arrows). Im thinking that this material was not fired so its not actually a ceramic, more like a harder mortar but it was really homogeneous.

Anyone can tell me what do i need to create this type of stuff.

Im thinking for using it to run bare wires through a hole and sealing the hole with this type of material.
>>
>>1092258
You'll be fine since the PPE will keep any splashes off you.

There's always some dipshit with cheap nylon underwear that ends up melted to his junk just from being too close the pour.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.