[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Off-Grid Living Project

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: santacruzfall2014-44.jpg (3MB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
santacruzfall2014-44.jpg
3MB, 2048x1365px
whats up /diy/ I just took the plunge and bought ~.14 acres in some wooded hills about 2.5 hours from my current living space.

Future projects in rough order of priority:
+Flag land boundaries & construct trail along a paper road
+Construct a roofed storage area for equipment and supplies
+Set up a ground platform for my canvas tent (10x12 wall tent)
+build or find a hammock mount and shelving for within the tent
+build a solar system 200 Ah battery, ~250 Watts total in solar panels. Charge Controller and Inverter selected for future input/storage doubling
+Build a small treehouse, high enough to be dangerous - lots of tall conifers on the property
+Dig a larger subterranean cottage - property borders a ridgeline with a nice slope on most of the prop.

I have the money to accomplish almost all of this immediately but main constraints are going to be time and weather. I can't drive down more than twice a month or so, and the wetness of winter rn is going to inhibit any serious ground work and generally make anything slower. Adding to logistical complication is a lack of direct road access and the lack of a truck for hauling supplies.

What i am specifically curious to hear about most are the best places for cheap or free construction materials. Specifically:
fiberglass or plastic ridged roofing
lumber
cement
solar panels
hand wagon

Been checking craigslist of course but curious if anyone else has experience looking for this kinda stuff
>>
File: download (13).jpg (9KB, 240x210px) Image search: [Google]
download (13).jpg
9KB, 240x210px
>>1091547
In Lue of a wagon or hand cart get a riding mower if u can. Old just mowers and 4 wheelers are common in America and u can just torch an axle off and make a $1,000 yard cart from lowes.

You will want Trojan t-105 6 volt batteries likely in a 12 or 24 volt setup for your panels. I think 2 would be 220ah at 12 volts for $200. It's not a lot but u sound motivated. After u get your house u can run power or upgrade panels and wind power as you go. Be sure and check the DISTILLED water level of you batteries monthly. Should last a good 5-8 years with proper care. Extreme heat and cold are bad on them. Id say bury them if u can keep water out.

If u in the states look into these rent to own cucksheds. U may be able to skip the tent bullshit.

Get a ball hitch welded on your car and get a shitty trailer off fb or cl. Almost as good as a truck.

Goodluck!
>>
Knowing your location would really help
>>
Land boundary lol? You mean a property corner?
>>
>>1091547
>.14 acres
Is that accurate?
>>
>>1091591
>>>1091547 (OP)
>>.14 acres
>Is that accurate?
OP is going for the world shortest trail.
>>
Woa wtf I was in the thread like 5 hours ago but didn't notice the period before 14. I live in a cookie cutter suburban neighborhood, everyone's property is about 1/3 of an acre, you really think you're going to a) have enough room for all that shit, b) I had something for B but I forgot. Anyway buy more land than 0.14 acres.
>>
>>1091547
>I can't drive down more than twice a month or so
How many days at a wack can you spend out there?
>>
>>1091560
I don't think a riding mower would take the hill up to the property desu

I was thinkin of just getting one 200Ah 12v battery for simplicity, im not afraid of wiring things in parallel but im gonna take these cold months to shop around and pick up anything i can cheap

I am in the states but would rather not have a dumb shed if i can help it. The tent is honestly ideal imo for the initial situation as im only gonna be sleeping down there for a day or two at a time rn - also I already have the tent and its brand dang new. I kinda just like the canvas tent feel desu

>>1091579
not gonna drop anything specific on here but temperate redwood hills <20 miles from the US west coast

>>1091589
Yeah precisely. I need to take my gps down to estimate the property corners

>>1091591
>>1091618
Yes, the property i bought was .14 acres. it is small. it also was dirt cheap. I don't need a lot of space yo

The trail im talking about is gonna be on a zoned road that would run the ~400 ft from the nearest paved road to my property. It is designated for accessing my parcel so i figure a light trail would be chill

>>1091754
probably no more than 2 atm but when the weather improves im gonna set aside more time from work and other stuff

>>1091750
Honestly i don't see it bein much of an issue. I don't plan to farm or really do anything that would require much space. My initial survey (w/ phone gps) pretty much guaranteed there are going to be viable trees for the treehouse, and everything combined is going to be about the size or smaller than the average suburban house.
>>
>>1091750
Lol. .14 acres. May as well measure in cubic inches.

The fuck is the point in having a yard if it's smaller than your bathroom.

Kek
>>
>>1091773
Right on. Well. You'd be surprised. My 30 year old snapper will pop a wheelie and I'm 280 pounds. If u wanna tent camp go for it man. I got a cucksheds for an office. It's insulated and pretty legit. But to each his own I guess. Good luck to u. Make sure and post progress as 90% want to do this.
>>
OP is going to make a trail on their neighbors property, that should make you popular. With a seventh of an are property I assume you're going to be a nigger and just trespass and poach off all your neighbors' land until one of them shoot you and dump the body. RIP OP.
>>
>>1091773
Are you Henry David Thoreau or are you living in someone's yard?

Do you have a job and car or are you really living off the grid? Do you have savings to pay for land taxes?
>>
>.14 acres

Are you a londoner or something?
>>
File: untitled.png (160KB, 531x536px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
160KB, 531x536px
>>1091850
>>1092006
im not startin a goddamn ranch

>>1091863
as i have said, the trail wouldn't be on anyones property. the space is reserved for a road. example pic related

>>1091900
Im not truly living off the grid, sorry to mislead. To kinda further elaborate, What I am planning is a home that functions off of municipal infrastructure.

That said, concerning my personal lifestyle, I do not intend to live off the grid. I am currently working a job and have been going to school for computer science, which all but guarantees that if I am going to be working I am going to be connected.

I do have a reasonable amount of savings, tho they are mostly allocated to future school expenses and I am going to need to keep working to live healthily for any reasonable amount of time.

In the short term (next 3-4 years at least) I don't see myself planning to live there full time, but renting housing reasonably close by. All this outdoor freedom is cool but I like cities. During this time I plan to mostly use it, once more established, as a place to have close small parties and generally spend time when I get the chance. I don't think im gonna stop building or at least refining, so just that maintenance will keep me entertained. Additionally It would be a good fallback if I needed to get out of a housing situation quickly.

After that idek but im 21 now so I don't have any clue what my live would look like 4+ years down the line. Regardless its a debt free investment and at the very least will be a financial asset if needed down the line
>>
>>1091851
will look into the mowers def. also i plan to post progress indefinitely but I don't imagine the thread sticking around for anywhere close to long enough.
This is one of my two my side side things rn
>>
Is it big enough to bury a container? Then you could make a cool underground bunker
>>
>>1091547
you're going to need a shipping container and a load of old pallets to start you off.
>>
>>1092300
Any cheap shit mower u can find on fb or cl. 200 bucks all day long. Or lowes has a new 4x4 push mower that u don't push. Can weight it and use it to help push.
>>
>>1092300
Fuck. After checking my local Facebook u may look into getting a 4 wheeler or a junk car or truck that runs.
>>
>>1092365
>>1092507
its big enough for a container but i wouldn't be able to get one up there. honestly fuck a container bunker tho. Not rly a metalworking guy and it would be a giant investment comparatively to anything else im doin for a p unfortunate bunker imo. would rather build something I could expand more easily.
>>
>>1092299

>host small parties
>treehouse

You will be liable when Drunky McRetard falls to his death. Better make it real fuckin' hard to fall off, anon. Put warning signs up too. Anything you can to minimize liability. Without knowing your jurisdiction I can't say anything more than that, but best of luck
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.