[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jewelry smithing - need a blowtorch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: pACE3-18437729enh-z7.jpg (48KB, 435x435px) Image search: [Google]
pACE3-18437729enh-z7.jpg
48KB, 435x435px
>TL;DR how cheap a torch can I use and it still works for silver, and, eventually, platinum?

I'm an aspiring silversmith with an affinity for rings. I need a heat source to melt the silver for casting, usually a blowtorch.

My problem is they're expensive as fuck, around $700 after the tanks and the regulators, etc, etc, for a 2 gas system. I like the Hoke oxygen/acetylene torch setup, since I can use it for platinum as well.

A possible solution is this cheap, $70 oxygen/MAPP torch, from the same company that makes the Bernz O Matic air/butane torches (pic related). I'm pretty confident that it will burn hot enough for silver casting, but what about platinum?

I'm willing to spend around $250 for an oxy/acetylene torch setup that won't explode and will melt platinum alloy if possible. But that includes tanks, which is my problem.

ALSO it's important to state that I'm planning on using gravity casting, not centrifugal casting. Which could mean I will need a hotter torch than normal?
>>
Propane torches can melt platinum

Platinum torches are fine
>>
>>1091446
Propane torches*
>>
> $250 for an oxy/acetylene torch setup that won't explode

Buy second hand. Test the flash back arrestors.
>>
>>1091445
Bump for interest and input hopefully from apprentice jeweler anon.
>>
>>1091445
Propane is sufficient and runs like $15 for a tank with torch.

If eventually you need something hotter, worry about that later.
>>
>>1091446
as in a propane/air torch, or propane/oxygen?
>>
File: 20161129_140056.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px)
20161129_140056.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>1091457
Propane air

I've used the exact pic related to melt small bits of platinum and it's $30
>>
>>1091458
that sounds really promising. ill have to try that out
>>
>>1091445
get a oxygen concentrator (medical type) and a propane tank + acetylene regulator (fits propane tanks)
>>
>>1091471
Not him, and not sure if it's nation wide, but home depot has a sale on their ts8000/mapp combo for $40 right now. The torch alone is usually $50 and it comes with a tank of mapp which burns a smidge hotter than propane. I'd snag one if I were you.
>>
Gasoline Blowtorch master race checking in
>>
>>1091606
You don't have a hair on your balls unless you are using a brass blowtorch that is old enough to collect social security.
>>
>>1091445
Study welding forums to learn about torches. You can run small torches off an oxygen concentrator or two. Google that too.

I don't have time to write a book, but OP has time to read in weldingweb etc. Ain't hard to do and you can buy quality American torches and regulators used. Do not fuck with offshore shit. At all.

Torches are a modular system so you can add tips etc over time. I have torches from the 1930s which work fine. Victor, Harris, Oxweld, Purox, ESAB, Smith etc are all excellent.

http://weldingweb.com/forumdisplay.php?2-MIG-TIG-Stick-And-Oxy-Fuel-Welding&s=43b8f56724feca13c6b76f73f2ce910b

Cylinders are exchanged for refilling, so learn the types and hit Craigslist. I have more gear than many professionals and didn't spend much to get it. You can do it too.
>>
>>1091619
BTW disposable cylinders are the most expensive way to buy gas. Don't even start that way.

Ebay is great for torches tips and parts. Don't pay retail for anything you don't absolutely have to.
>>
>>1091615
Oh I use them too but they're slow to start up. Both new and old ones have their drawbacks but honestly the modern Ukrainian ones are far superior as far as normal use is concerned.
>>
Mapp gas
>>
>>1091657
How about hydrogen?
>>
look at the smith equipment or now miller equipment "The Little Torch". I use the quick braze for HVAC on the smaller systems and have a victor for the bigger stuff.
>>
>>1091615
Hahahaaaa
>>
>>1091615
I have hair on my balls because I don't use a blow torch that will set fire to my shop when it finally fails
>>
>>1091449 >>1091657

congratulations for the only people recommending something that gets hot enough to melt platinum

3,215°F is whats needed for platinum, propane even with oxygen can't get that hot,

other than acetylene and oxygen, MAPP gas will work too.

butane, its all i use for gold and silver jewelry making and repair, for platinum i use acetylene and oxygen.

>>1091445
if your going to gravity cast, use bees wax to help alleviate voids
>>
>>1091667
The Oxy-Hydrogen Blowpipe produced the first flame to melt Platinum without fucking with it in 1801.
>>
>>1091667
>How about hydrogen?

You can buy that from any industrial gas supplier and torch tips are available.

>>1092037
>congratulations for the only people recommending something that gets hot enough to melt platinum

Sheeit. My post did that and gave most detail of any.

BTW blow torches on good condition and not antiques aren't really failure prone, they are just awkward and annoying for most use compared to more advanced alternatives.

"MAPP" was a trade name and is no longer made in that precise mixture in the US, but there are various close equivalent mixtures.

Maximum fuel gas choice is with an OA torch and different tips or pressure settings as required.

This Victor kit has cylinders and is in OPs price range:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-Portable-Tote-Torch-Set-for-Brazing-Soldering-With-Cylinders-0384-0946-/262692124628?hash=item3d29abb7d4:g:ZMEAAOSwcUBYEkgd

More tips are available and the info will be in the owners manual or on the Victor website. All the soft parts in the regs and torches are compatible with propane. I verified that by email with Victor tech support a while back. Most non-shit torches and regs can run LP or Acetylene.

If you can find a used kit that will save you money and they often go around a hundred bucks. Remember no Chink shit unless burning to death sounds fun. They have odd machining and use garbage O-rings. Some work, some fail, I don't take the chance.
>>
>>1092037
>use bees wax to help alleviate voids
so... like use it as a carving wax? I'm not sure I understand what you mean
>>
>>1092037
Bull shit

I melt pure platinum with a propane bernzomatic blow torch, no oxygen, just air, given the quantities I melt are generally under 5 grams but it melts completely
>>
>>1092430
>under 5 grams
sounds like a ring to me
>>
>>1091445
Propane is cleaner, cheaper, easier to buy almost anywhere, and you can bead platinum. I've even used it for melting 20-30gram platinum buttons

Get a BBQ size propane tank, an oxygen tank, 2 used regulators and a jewelers mini torch
>>
>>1092037
Wrong. Propane and oxygen get plenty hot for platinum. You know torches come in different sizes right?
>>
>>1092386
you fill the casting void with bees wax, when you pour molten metal into the mold it melts and burns away drawing in the molten metal.

toilet wax rings are great and a cheap source of bees wax, just make sure it says 100% bees wax on the package, not only do i use it for casting, i use it all the time for my lapidary machine fixing gemstones to posts

>>1092582
>>1092430

your right, it will melt platinum, but for handcrafting rings and repairing them i prefer acetylene and oxygen. i know torches come in different sizes, but i also know there is a fine line after precious metal goes critical and becoming vapor.
>>
>>1092581
This and if want an acetylene tank (any size by using the right adapter) can be adapted to your propane regulator.

CGA-510 female is the common US BBQ tank thread.
>>
>>1092610
>but for handcrafting rings and repairing them

Walk into any Jareds and ask what gas they use. literally every chain of Jareds uses propane.

Or if they don't have those near you go to a big box jewelry store that does work on site.

Propane. Propane. Propane.

I work for a jewelry supply company. I know a little bit about what gasses everyone uses

Why propane? Where are you going to go when jewelers are working on Holidays and need gas? Well airgas is closed...Oh yea..ANY fucking gas station around you
>>
>>1093589

settle down Hank Hill, with your propane and propane accessories

lol @ jareds and big box stores

50% of the things i repair are things that jareds/big box stores won't touch because they are afraid to fuck it up, or aren't equipped to repair. then i get repeat business for their other jewelry because my rates are cheaper and i can do more than fixing broken bands and resizing rings.

knowing something and knowing how to apply it are two entirely different things.

also who doesn't check their regulators every time they turn their tanks on and off? its been 3 years since i've had to refill my tanks. then again i'm not stealing catalytic converters from cars and refining the precious metals.

i use oxy acetylene for platinum because it burns hot even with a small torch, my ring clamps are made of wood with leather pads. you don't want the whole thing to heat up, just the part you want.

for silver and gold i use refillable butane torches, gas stations sell butane canisters.
>>
>>1091576
This is great. MAPP+ with that head will spit out 2400*F easily. That, and the head will run regular bottled propane as well, whereas the head on >>1091458's pic won't use MAPP.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.