[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amplifier Upgrade

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: s-l1000.jpg (97KB, 939x1000px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
97KB, 939x1000px
Hey /diy/ so i just bought a Crate G600XL Half Stack for really cheap (250 USD) while it sound very good, it lacks some bass, i was wondering if its possible to replace some components to boost the bass just like some people do with stompboxes. also apparently the previous owner used instrument cables, instead of speaker cables to connect the head to the cab, and i was told maybe thats why it lacks bass, any suggestions?
>>
>>1091388
Get a signal splitter and get a bass amp. Then learn loops so you can fake two instruments at once
>>
>>1091393
Also try drop c
>>
>>1091393
Seems like an more complicated solution lol
>>1091395
I play in C#, so my guitar is already downtuned
>>
>>1091388
Using an instrument cable instead of a speaker cable could make weird stuff happen, but only as long as it is in use. There isn't a lasting effect.

Are you still using an instrument cable instead of a speaker cable?
>>
>>1091414
No, i've always used speaker cables for my stacks, never tried using instrument cables, ive been always afraid it would make the head blow up or something lol
>>
File: Screenshot_20161129-115312.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161129-115312.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
>>1091388
It lacks bass because Crate amps are shit. You also overpaid. If you can read schematics and are familiar with how tone stacks work, you could tweak the value of the bass cap.
>>
>>1091393
Is right.
A simple electronics tweak is unlikely to get you a bass boost. Not sure why you'd want this for a guitar anyway.

Just at a glance, the speakers for a bass guitar amplifier are 10" and those speakers look to be 4, 6-8" speakers. Speakers work by displacing air to create sound waves and diameter is related to the frequencies they can produce efficiently so it is likely that you will be limited by your speaker's ability to create the low frequencies efficiently rather than the electronics driving them.

I might be wrong, just my two cents. There may be a highpass filter somewhere you can short.
>>
>>1091430
My mistake, after further inquiry those are 12" speakers, I retract my answer
>>
>>1091426
I dont know much about Crate amps, its my first one, i once played live with a Blue Voodoo and sounded very good, so i assumed it would sound ok for the price, and it does sound ok, but as i said it lacks some bass :/
>>
>>1091388
are you electronics savvey?

*boosting' bass is really about reducing loss of lower frequencies in the amp.
primarily enlarging coupling caps and changing the filter.(tone control)

I'd start with coupling caps.

i don't know this amp, so im assuming its solid state.
solid state amps are usually more complicated, thus harder to mod.
>>
>>1091956
yep its solid state, also i have no idea about the components so im just asking :)
>>
Back in the day, my guitarist had 2 full stacks of that very amp. We went into the studio and the engineer would not let us record with that amp. He made him use a Mesa triple rectifier. That crate is sold state, not tube, so it will always sound like shit. It will be loud but lack warmth and depth. Blue Voodoo is tube though.
>>
>>1092266
Also, something like this can help
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/10BandEQ?product_id=%7Bproduct_id%7D&adpos=1o1&creative=103263529321&device=c&matchtype=&network=s&gclid=CMTQ_5ev0tACFUQdaQodky4O1Q
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.