[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Engraving a Meteorite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_6270.png (718KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6270.png
718KB, 750x1334px
I'm currently in a relationship with the first girl that actually makes me happy and is like me in a long list of failures. But that part isn't important, what is important is that Christmas is coming up, and I wanted to get her an awesome unique gift. Neither of us have a ton of money but we share a big passion for space, and so I ordered a necklace with thing made out of meteorite (pic related).

Is it possible to engrave this material? With lasers I think it has to be homogeneous, but cnc or a dremel tool seems risky in the event of shattering.

What would you guys recommend?
>>
>>1091257
just want to point this out, last time I checked meteors were worth more than their weight in gold.

that aside, if the meteor is made of metal, then its safer, if stone, possibly not, look into local engravers and see if you can take out short term insurance on it.
>>
That's not a meteorite op, that's a small piece of pattern welded steel. It's most likely a bit of scrap someone decided to turn into a necklace. It's not worth anywhere close to $110
>>
File: IMG_6278.png (139KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6278.png
139KB, 750x1334px
>>1091305
>>
>>1091257
Why not just find a funky rock and tell your gf that it came from space? You wouldn't be lying. Maybe draw some alien alphabet on the back or something.
>>
inb4 she gets breast cancer because of the radioactive piece of steel you put around her neck
>>
>>1091272
Not really though

Meteor pricing is weird

If it is a solid while piece of a meteor of historic significance it will always sell for massive amounts sometimes almost as high as gold, but if it is broken or partial, or made into necklaces, or one that shattered into a million pieces upon impact with the ground (like most meteorites) it is worth much less and worth more as jewelry and are easily available

Like most etsy things op overpaid, but in this case not by much, it would have been about $50-$70 from a gem and mineral convention which is where you get the best prices outside of wholesale

Op you can get a cheap $8 engraving rotary tool from harbor freight and use the diamond bits to do any engraving

Keep a steady hand though and draw your pattern first

It will be slow to do but quick to fuck up so stay as steady as possible
>>
File: weld-line.jpg (33KB, 271x349px) Image search: [Google]
weld-line.jpg
33KB, 271x349px
>>1091360
>>1091305

I'm sorry, OP, but that is *not* Widmanstatten pattern - which is irregular intersecting lines usually at about a 60/120degree inclination.

that is pattern-welding, probably of 1084 and 15n20 carbon steels, etched in ferric chloride. I work as a professional bladesmith, and I know PW steel when I see it.

the identifying detail is that the PW forms layers, like geological strata, with banding which curves, and forms flat weld line intersections, like that you can see marked with red arrows:
>>
File: Widmanstatten_pattern.jpg (45KB, 500x315px) Image search: [Google]
Widmanstatten_pattern.jpg
45KB, 500x315px
>>1091387
this is what actual meteoric iron looks like when polished: the intersecting angles of the large crystals are very distinctive:

I'm really sorry, OP, but you have been conned by some snake oil salesman peddling fake shit, and claiming its meteoric. Its not. those are very terrestrial alloys, forged together and etched in ferric chloride to bring out the contrast between the two metals used.
>>
File: hammer.jpg (588KB, 676x616px) Image search: [Google]
hammer.jpg
588KB, 676x616px
>>1091389
and here's what the pattern-welded steels look like when in a necklace - in this case, a Thor's Hammer.

There's no way that what you've ordered is not pattern-welded steel. I'm honestly really sorry, because you've been scammed, and that's really fucking shitty by whoever's selling this stuff.
>>
>>1091257
>but cnc or a dremel tool seems risky in the event of shattering

Considering it survived punching through the atmosphere I'm sure cnc or a dremel will be just fine.
>>
>>1091380

Inb4 jokes on her. I like small boobs.
>>
File: IMG_6279.png (388KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6279.png
388KB, 750x1334px
Thanks guys, I'll make sure to cancel my order. So you're saying this is what it should be?
>>
File: IMG_6280.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6280.png
1MB, 750x1334px
Or this?
>>
>>1091408
Much better and those are the prices I've seen at mineral shows
>>
>>1091404
if that is a fake, its a vastly better-quality one.

certainly looks right.
>>
>>1091404
Don't cancel your order. Wait until it arrives then dispute it with eBay/PayPal. You'll get a free necklace and fuck up that asshole's day
>>
>>1091384
DO NOT DO THIS

holy shit, those 'engravers' are unstable as fuck, if that is stone, it will break it I guarantee, Id look into someone locally who dies it for a living, at the very least they will be using tools that are stable.

>>1091387
>>1091389
>>1091390
honestly didn't want to tell him that it looked more like damascus steel than meteor.

>>1091404
>>1091408
of the two, i would go >>1091404 as it gives you more room for larger fancy initials. the other one seems a bit small, at least when the main attraction to it is the pattern.
>>
>>1091408
This isn't even real. Thats an etch or engraving of the pattern in silver... DO NOT GET THIS ONE.

ALSO FUCK ALL THESE VENDORS SELLING BULLSHIT.
>>
wtf is this shit the op is posting are these even metors?

i was looking into buying meteor(ite?) so i could make tools with it for the purpose of shit talk
>>
>>1091257

I'm not an expert, but that looks like a cheap "Damascus" composite.
>>
>>1091499
Go to the mortuary as they do that shit on the daily.
>>
File: IMG_6284.png (186KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6284.png
186KB, 750x1334px
Her response
>>
>>1091404
Is it possible to cut this to a smaller size?
>>
>>1091705
Damn man that sucks.

I mean Christ in her response she says she's had 10 or 15 of them and they've all been totally distinct and unique, but in her promo >>1091360 here she outright says that she has a few of them and that they're all almost entirely identical to one another. Does not compute.

At least you're getting the refund.... hopefully....
>>
>>1091705
Etsy is full of people passing cheap factory shit as 'handmade' 'artisan' whatever. This is no different, she doesn't care as long as she gets paid.
>>
>>1091726
She should care.. As should anyone else.

A happy customer tells 2 people. A dishappy one tells 200.
>>
>>1091769
>dishappy

full_retard.jpg
>>
>>1091404
I got a refund. Is it possible to cut this one into the same shape without raping it? I assume it's similar to iron cutting and filing it down
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.