[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cutting and polishing granite at home

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

I want to utilize a large piece of granite counter and make it into a coffee table, It would just require cutting two of the sides off then polishing those sides. Does anyone have experience doing anything like this? From youtube it just looks like you cut it with a diamond blade on a circular saw or angle grinder, I'm wondering if I could continue to shape it with a flap disc or files? From there would I just hit it with varying levels of sand paper then a polishing wheel? All help is appreciated
>>
Don't know jack shit about granite but if you're gonna have enough extra I'd suggest cutting a small piece off to practice with first. You could also try getting some scraps from contractors and such
>>
Chances are decent that you're going to burn up your saw and grinder. I did granite for a year a while back and it's not cheap or easy.

If you still plan on it keep it cool and wet and do multiple shallow passes. You polish up the sides by stoning it first then running it with polishing pads. Again, with the pads you need it to stay cool and wet or it will haze over.

Really, you're better off scoring it in a few spots and just breaking it leaving a rough edge. Or going by the back of the shop and seeing if one of the guys will do it for 75 bucks or so. You'd spend at least that getting a okay set of pads.
>>
>>1091326
>leaving a rough edge

Thats exactly what I'd do in this case. The juxtaposition of the perfectly smooth surface with the rough raw edges would be a nice touch

Bonus points if you design a base that uses a large plank of wood with a live edge that you finish glass smooth with the live edge to match the granite
>>
>>1091243
I have been cutting granite (although soft granite, rapakivi granite) with a large angle grinder and a diamond cutting blade. I don't know how many meters I've cut but it's a lot, maybe 20. The one blade from a cheapo store is still good, but I know the dust does wear on the machine.
But it's easy and by being careful you can get a straight cut. Maybe rig a jig of some kind. The result is surprisingly smooth.
Wear protective gear. Preferably both glasses and a full face mask. Respirator and hearing protection. It will be dusty as hell!
>>
>>1091243

If you want a rough edge, I would suggest working it by hand, rather than cutting it off.

IMO, the "natural" rough edge would look much nicer than the "unfinished process" edge.
>>
>>1091243
You will need an angle grinder with a diamond blade first off. After you make the cut it would be best to use grinding stones before you polish with pads but im guessing you dont have those and dont want to drop a few hundred dollars on materials youll use once. Ive never heard of using files and id imagine that would take a hella long time and that the stone would be way to hard. If you end up going with the sanding route which id recommend youll need to purchase a backer pad that works with adhesive sandpaper. Start off with 60 grit, then cycle to 120, 220, 400, 600, 1000, 1500+++ to get a purdy shine. Its just like sanding with wood, change pads once they get gummed up and dont move on to the next one until you see and the lines from the previous disappear. Also for the top edge just do a small "eased edge" its very basic and will keep your top from chipping and cutting your hands in the future
Source: 3 years in counting as a saw operator, fabricator, wet polisher
>>
>>1091243
also can i ask where youre located? if youre in north florida ill lend you a crate of granite tools for the weekend
>>
>>1091578
Not op, but jacksonville or tallahassee?
>>
>>1091854
South of Jacksonville
>>
>>1091526
>>1091577
Thanks for the info, I got an angle grinder already so it looks like I'll be buying a diamond cutting disc and some diamond flap discs of various grit, shouldn't be prohibitively expensive

>>1091578
In the northeast, thanks for the offer though
>>
>>1091917
Ah, cool man. I fabbed over in Tallahassee.
>>
>>1092000
I cut with the big angle grinder (230mm discs), it does straighter lines than a small one.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.