[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Camper as first DIY project

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

I'm looking to build a tear drop camper which I would be able to take with me on road trips going back country camping if possible. It's an idea I've been enamored with since I was a young kid.

I've never really done any DIY project requiring more than a hammer or drill. I'm going to be following the simplest blue prints I can find from Google. What tools am I going to need for this kind of project?

Thanks for your help, any suggestions or advice are great appreciated.
>>
>>1091231
https://www.google.com/search?q=building+a+teardrop+trailer
>>
>>1091235
Specifically what kind of saw should I get for cutting out the curved shapes and sharp angles of the walls and beams?

Would a hand saw suffice for those tasks?
>>
A workbench as well yeah ?
>>
You're going to want to get a jigsaw, unless you're building a foamie tear drop. I'm currently converting a cargo trailer to a small camper, with queen size bed, sink, cabinets, heat/Ac.
>>
>>1091260
Jigsaw and some stands to cut large panels of wood on. Home depot has a set of 2 for like 30 bucks. You could also just build them out of wood, or use 2 stools.

Using a jigsaw sucks. The only guidance is a pen mark, and your skill makes either a good cut or a bad cut.

Mark your cuts with a sharpie, and make your cuts above your sharpie mark, so that the price is too big. Then use sandpaper or a sander to round it off.

And whatever you do, measure 5 times.
>>
>>1091320
This is not a bad idea. U can also buy a shitty used camper for about 2k. I always hated the tiny fucking shower and bathrooms. And having to shit in your befmdroom. So we are buying a better camper and I'm turning my shitty camper into a full scale bathroom and showed with aboutique 1/3rf of it being storage and laundry and a place to get dressed. We can just drag 2 campers. We never go far.
>>
Appreciate the input guys.

Anyone have any recommendations on brands?

I bought a Bosch jigsaw on recommendation from one of the store associates at Lowe's.

I had a 12v cordless Skil drill that crapped out on me recently and I'm thinking I'll need to replace it now as well.

I'm not trying to break the bank since these are going to be my beginning set of tools, however I'm willing to pay a bit extra for quality.

I've heard good things about DeWalt but that's about it.
>>
>>1091519
I'm a Dewalt fan myself but I have black and decker shit from Walmart too. I buy good shit when I can and Walmart shit when I have the need
>>
>>1091519
I would look up the cheapest version of whatever tool you want and see if the reviews are any good. If they are, buy it. If not, check reviews for the second least expensive one and so on until you find one that's still reasonably cheap but rated well. In all seriousness if you're just looking for cheap tools for this project then Harbor Freight is gonna be the way to go. I'd pickup their trailer they sell for $300ish and use that as the base
>>
File: FB_IMG_1480468037455.jpg (68KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1480468037455.jpg
68KB, 960x540px
I built a teardrop last year, my first suggestion is PLAN IT ALL OUT FIRST you dont want to end up needing to curl up in your sleep or go outside and open the back in the rain if you forgot something or want something from the galley.
Pic related
>>
I went ahead and got a Borsch 18v cordless drill that was on sale, I'm hoping this isn't going to be my last DIY project.

>>1091604
That looks great! I love the rustic feel I get from it. The straight angled galley looks a hell of a lot easier to make than the curved ones most of these blueprints are suggesting. I'll probably end up going with a straight slant instead.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1480476082082.jpg (65KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1480476082082.jpg
65KB, 960x540px
>>1091661
I lined the interior with cedar, too. Bug and moisture resistance was a definite plus. Sorry about the size of the pic but its not on my phone anymore so i pulled it from facebook.
>>
>>1091661
The galley opening is in two parts, they meet at the top of the back, the top opens to access the counter space and sink, and the bottom opens to access a 12 gallon water tank and ice chest on a slide out tray.
>>
>>1091597
I suggest the 5x8 trailer from NorthernTool. It is sturdier than the folding 4x8 from hf and you will be happy with the extra floor space, i fit a full size memory foam matress in my trailer and have a few inches on either side.
>>
>>1091604
Nice work anon. Digging the dark stains and trim.
>>
>>1091679
Fucking nice anon. Where u get the window at?
>>
>>1091921
Teardroptrailerparts.com
They have a lot of parts listed on amazon now.
>>
You'll learn things as you go, which means you'll make more mistakes closed to the beginning of your accumulation of skills and knowledge.

Having said that, deciding your first serious project should be worth potentially thousands of dollars wouldn't be my recommendation.

If I were you I'd bust out of the newb zone on cheaper projects.

But whatever, I'm a cheapskate. You do you, right?
>>
>>1091231
Teardrop and Travel Trailers is a pretty good forum on the topic:
http://tnttt.com
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.