[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Converting battery to ac

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

File: FS4HHK1HH2VMT5V.MEDIUM.jpg (26KB, 614x345px) Image search: [Google]
FS4HHK1HH2VMT5V.MEDIUM.jpg
26KB, 614x345px
Alright /diy/, I have no knowledge about wiring and electricity in my house in general but I'm interested in converting a string of lights from battery power to run out the socket. http://www.instructables.com/id/Convert-Battery-Powered-Electronics-to-Run-on-AC/ There are a few tutorials out there like this one but they are all a few years old and have terminology I don't quite understand.

SO has anyone tried this before?
Would this be safe to try? And does this tutorial seem like it would get the job done efficiently?
>>
Find out what voltage the battery/batteries are and replace them with a acdc power adapter
>>
>>1091123
I've done that on several occasions to adjust the voltage of some wallwarts.

If you wanto to convert a lamp to run off a wallwart you just need to know how many batteries it uses, for example, if it uses 4x AA batteries, then you need a wall wart that outputs around 6 volts (4*1.5volts)

In the instructable the author uses an LM317, this is a voltage regulator. Your lights run at a predetermined voltage, If you want to use a wall wart you can either find one with that seme voltage of use that LM317 to regulate the voltage, tranforming the excess voltage into heat, which is not very efficient in that case.

The best thing to do is to go to your local electronics store and get a wall wart rated for the job, find the number of batteries and the voltage that your lamp uses and then ask for a wall wart of the same voltage.

Wallwarts are also defined by the current, which is the maximum number of electrons they can pump out, for standard lights a 1 amp wallwart will work just fine, just strip the wires and connect the wallwart's positive to the positive part of the battery holder and the same with the negative part.

Yes, it is safe, the wall wart outputs low voltage DC, which is harmless.
>>
File: IMG_5038.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5038.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1091132
Okay, it takes 3x AA batteries and I found a bag of old adapters would this one (5VDC?) work?
>>
>>1091135
Quite probably, 3AA batteries add up to 4.5 volts, that would be 0.5 volts more, but I would say it's inside the acceptable error.
Just to be totally sure and to avoid overloading the adapter, in the sticker it says it can pump 550mA. Does your lamp have a label with a current rating? can you at least show us the kind of bulbs used in your lamp to get an idea of the current flowing through it?
>>
File: IMG_5040.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5040.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1091137
These are some of those basic bitch string lights from china, the only information on the little battery box is about the batteries: " Size "AA" or equivalent or UM-3x3 1.5V"
>>
>>1091140
I guess that'll do, you can go ahead and connect it.
Strip the wires of the PSU and connect them to the positive and negative terminals of the battery compartment, you can drill a hole on the lid to pass the wire though and tie a knot at the other end so the connections won't be pulled away accidentally.

Remember to the wires at the extremes of the battery compartment, if we imagine this picture is your battery compartment, you would have to wire the positive to the rightmost positive end, and the negative to the leftmost negative spring. You adapter acts now like a big battery that needs to bypass all the battery compartments and thus be connected to the extremes.

If it doesn't works check the polarity, LEDs just work one way around, reverse the wires and try again.
>>
File: 3-aaa-battery-holder.jpg (66KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
3-aaa-battery-holder.jpg
66KB, 600x600px
>>1091142
Forgot pic
>>
>>1091144
Alright thank you so much for the help I'll see what I can do
>>
File: IMG_5041.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5041.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1091144
Thanks anon I got it too work!!
Thread can be closed
>>
>>1091162
Glad to see it worked.
>>
File: 1473600725872.gif (2MB, 235x240px) Image search: [Google]
1473600725872.gif
2MB, 235x240px
>>1091162
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.