[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

electrical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

File: KIMG0344.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0344.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I need to attach pic related to an extension cord I'll cut an end off of. Will this work?
>>
>>1090852
Should work provided you do it right. Use a screw down connector block those wire nuts are too shit for mains.
>>
File: watertight cable grommets.jpg (14KB, 287x263px) Image search: [Google]
watertight cable grommets.jpg
14KB, 287x263px
dont listen to the other dude, wire nuts are perfectly good. what you need to worry about is the wires being mangled by the metal case, so if you can find some of these (pic), then you're in great shape.

another idea to consider is to add a pull switch to the light, using one of those chain-switches you get from old ceiling fans.
>>
>>1090852
I've done this. Works fine.

Just listen to this guy >>1090864
>>
>>1090864
Meh, this isn't an issue if the light doesn't move around much. If OP will constantly be moving the light or plug, then yes.
>>
File: wire clamp.jpg (42KB, 1000x1000px)
wire clamp.jpg
42KB, 1000x1000px
>>1090864
This. Here's a cheaper type that can be picked up for less than a dollar at any hardware store.
>>
it worked!

the extension cord even had properly coded wires
>>
>>1090906
>being this poor
>>
File: dealgo.gif (559KB, 200x200px)
dealgo.gif
559KB, 200x200px
>>1090912
>anti-wirenut fags BTFO
>>
>>1090953
>spending more money on something that performs the same
>>
>>1090982
>being poor enough that the price difference isn't completely negligible
>wasting time saving essentially nothing
>>
>>1090992
>Wasting time waiting for this to show up in the mail because you can get the cheap version at any hardware store
>>
>>1090997
>having shit hardware stores
>not already having a few of those lying around
>>
>>1090998
>considering using these fucking atrocites for anything in the first place.
>>
>>1090992
Wealthy people are wealthy because they dont spend money frivolously
>>
>>1091034
wealthy people don't waste time saving one-time $0.3
>>
OP is trying to save money. OP could just go buy a light, but didn't. OP is /diy/

>List available resources (tools, materials, budget, time, etc.)
>Try to use pictures and explain the goal, if possible
OP implied the goal is to save money.
>>1090864 better for the application
>>1090906 cheaper, maybe more available
Both are solutions to OP's problem and give options.
Only OP can say which one is "better"

Fuck off with this banter, it doesn't belong here.
>>
>>1091049
I think you forgot that this is 4chan
Fuck off and be reasonable somewhere else
>>
>>1090981
"it works now = its fine/safe/good/will last"
gr8 logic
>>
>>1091086
>gr8 logic

As opposed to the logic based off of 1930s ceramic and porcelain wirenuts?
Bongs make me laugh.

We get it, you banned something because it was dangerous 80 years ago. Wirenuts arent the same as they were back when they were banned.
>>
File: julia.jpg (27KB, 428x618px) Image search: [Google]
julia.jpg
27KB, 428x618px
>>
>>1090953
I'd have used a L16 from the pile that's gone through the washer
>>
just put a bunch of tape around the hole like a gloryhole no need for a special grommet you sissies
>>
>>1090906
Actually the light fixture has knock out plugs that this romex protector is designed to fit
>>
>>1091156
Listen here you little punk, wire nuts were never banned, outlawed or made illegal in the UK, they simply fell out of fashion because they were inferior.
If you want to interpret bs7671 then feel free but you won't find anything and unlike draconian third world shitholes we don't NEED things to be listed or approved to use them, just the people to have half a fucking brain and know how to use them.
Plenty of old houses are still full of wire nuts and every electrician that works on them lets out a sigh when he realises because they are insecure, unreliable and most importantly untidy.
Light fittings, actually pretty much anything you buy here has either a plug fitted or has terminal blocks inside mounted to the unit to fit a flex.
Adding a big lump of plastic to an unconstrained connection so it flaps and flails around inside the enclosure straining the connection is fucking stupid.
>>
>>1090981
This. Fukken rekt
>>
>>1091348
TL;DR. Summarize in a non faggy way.
>>
File: wago-2273.jpg (29KB, 500x316px) Image search: [Google]
wago-2273.jpg
29KB, 500x316px
>>1091348
what do brits use for fixed installation?
>>
File: AAJB5.jpg (25KB, 600x338px)
AAJB5.jpg
25KB, 600x338px
>>1091353
Wagos for "non-accessible" connections, pic. related otherwise (or in older installations)
>>
that's how I installed mine last year, it still works and I haven't burned down the building
>>
>>1091351
Wire nuts were never illegal we moved on to screw terminals because they were better.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.