[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

diy nutcracker

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7

hi,
having learned how to open hazelnuts with my fists has really made me appreciate what a useful tool a nutcracker is. so I want to get one, but Im to cheap to shell out 7 euros for a simple hinged metal lever.
googling "diy nutcracker" is a complete nightmare, btw, because you only get results for those faggy soldier-nutcrackers.

so: I want a very cheap, very practical nutcracker, primarily for hazelnuts but it would obviously be nice if it could support other nuts/sizes as well.
Im particularly curious as what tools from home depot could be used to make a simple nutcracker.

pic related is a lever nutcracker.
>>
File: nutcracker1.jpg (95KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
nutcracker1.jpg
95KB, 800x600px
here's a threaded design
>>
File: FVHPA8XI3VHIO0N.MEDIUM.jpg (53KB, 614x924px) Image search: [Google]
FVHPA8XI3VHIO0N.MEDIUM.jpg
53KB, 614x924px
>>1090513
this design strikes me as the best. All I'd need is solid metal ring with a threaded hole on the side. since I have absolutely no metal-working capabilities this would have to be made out of premade parts.

anyone got an idea as to what to use?
>>
Just use pliers.
>>
I use lineman's pliers or if the nuts are particularly annoying (like almonds), I hold them with the said pliers and use a hammer.

>7 euros for a simple hinged metal lever
Cheap nutcrackers are worth jack shit.
>>
File: 0090175-23.jpg (106KB, 600x310px) Image search: [Google]
0090175-23.jpg
106KB, 600x310px
>>1090523
>>1090524
yeah pliers somewhat work, obviously, but Im really liking the screw nutcracker design.

maybe something like pic related would do, though Id much rather create something myself
>>
My dad used to buy fancy nutcrackers that would break all the time due to shitty production.

He has been using one of these for about 10 years now. Works like a charm.
>>
File: naamloos.png (74KB, 334x151px) Image search: [Google]
naamloos.png
74KB, 334x151px
>>1090540
>>
>>1090541
i use channel locks, IMO its the only good use for them
>>
>>1090516
Just drill a hole.Put a self tapping screw trough it.Then thread a bolt in thats the same size as the screw.
>>
File: Knipex-Pliers-Wrench.jpg (19KB, 590x150px) Image search: [Google]
Knipex-Pliers-Wrench.jpg
19KB, 590x150px
This is the best possible tool for cracking open nuts.

The leverage makes a mockery out of the hardest possible nuts, while the jaws will only move enough to crack the shell. You never crush the meat of the nut like with other pliers.
>>
File: wood_insert_nut.jpg (331KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
wood_insert_nut.jpg
331KB, 900x900px
>>1090516
>>1090543
actually I think Im gonna go with wood. And I asked a carpenter and learned about wood insert nuts today, pic related.

to get these in, all I need is a drill, which a friend of mine has.
but I still need to make the hole in my block of wood to put the hazelnut it, like in >>1090513

anybody know what tool to use for that job?
I wouldnt mind if the hole was square, in fact that would make reinforcing one side with a metal plate much easier.

also is it ok to use slightly soft wood for this project? (like spruce)
I feel like the insert nut should take a lot of force applied to it even in softer wood. and if I reinforce the part where the hazelnut presses against with a metal plate, that should be quite sturdy imho
>>
>>1090511
a rock, and another, larger rock as a base
>>
>>1091498
youre a funny guy. I kill you last
>>
>>1091498
Came here to post this, yuropoor thinks it's a joke but we are serious
>>
>>1091642
Rocks are reliable, but OP wanted an droll device for the RITUAL of nut cracking. That's fine.

The /diy/ smart way would be the abovementioned pliers which are useful for many things besides smashing your nuts into submission.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.