[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY Chicken Coop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

File: chicken coop.jpg (278KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
chicken coop.jpg
278KB, 1000x750px
Hey guys, I would really appreciate if anybody here could help me build a relatively small chicken coop in my house. I've got absolutely 0 experience at building stuff, but I guess I can learn before starting with the coop. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Blueprints, what to do first, key points, anything.
>>
Post your address and I'll come over. I don't really know how to carpentry but two heads are better than one
>>
>>1090482
Im sorry, did you say you want this built IN your house?
>>
>>1090485
lol thanks but I'm planning on building it by myself, besides I'm from Honduras, I need help as in, blueprints, advice, and such things
>>1090488
Not INSIDE my house but in the backyard, I've got plenty of space for a big enough chicken coop
>>
>>1090482
http://morningchores.com/chicken-coop-plans/
Some of these want you to buy the book or whatever but sift through them and some are free, and the article has a lot of stuff I didn't really think of.
>>
>>1090492
Ok outside it is. Look, this is a perfect project to begin your diy career. Your pic alone could provide a simple enough plan and with a little advice from a local hardware store you can do this, OP. Post some pics along the way and grab some help here, too.
>>
>>1090547
>>1090531
thank you very much guys, I will upload pics shortly, btw could you guys give me some tips on carpentry?
>>
>>1090554
I would change the base dimensions to 48x96. That way youll get the most out of a single 2x4. The trick to any wood project is setting up whatever saw you have to make as many cuts of the same length as possible. Make a simple jig. So if you need to cut 2x4s in half, measure your 48 inchs on a full board and nail a block along that line. Then you can lay the board you want to cut against the block and it will cut about the same size every time. Try to view that chicken coop in stages. Make a base first, then make a "box" off the base. Once you have that itll become more clear how the rest works out. Ask questions. Work patiently. Again, this is a great starter project. Youll learn everything you need to know about the basics from it.
>>
File: CC1.jpg (204KB, 1040x780px) Image search: [Google]
CC1.jpg
204KB, 1040x780px
>>1090562
This is the space that I was planning on using for the Coop, but the problem is that the metal parts are rusty and I'm afraid of using them for making a base
>>
>>1090579
Still, I feel that is a small space, so I was thinking about using a bit more space for the coop. This is all the space I have available, my family wont let me use more space lol
>>
File: CC6.jpg (242KB, 1040x780px) Image search: [Google]
CC6.jpg
242KB, 1040x780px
>>1090579
>>1090562
The dimensions for this structure are about 4x5m or, 20 square meters. Even though the structure is already there, I don't believe it would work for the chicken coop for 3 reasons:
1. Its got a dent on the "roof" that was caused by a falling branch. Luckily we got rid of the other branches which looked like they could fall off in any moment, so the area is safe now.
2. It looks VERY rusty
3. I feel that it is a very small space for a chicken coop.
>>
>>1090588
sorry, not really 4x5
its more like 3x5

I want the coop to look a lot like >>1090482
the picture in this post
>>
bump for suport
>>
>>1090630
Thanks man, I'm really excited about this project and about starting a DIY career too lol
>>
>>1090482
Chicken owner here. Information required

How many chickens are you planning on having?
What species? Bantams? Or full size?
Where do you live?
Where do you plan on placing the coop? And how does it sit geographically?
In the city? Or country?
>>
>>1090645
>How many chickens are you planning on having?
I was planing on starting with about 12 chickens
>What species? Bantams? Or full size?
The egg laying type, something like golden comets
>Where do you live?
Honduras, Central America
>Where do you plan on placing the coop? And how does it sit geographically?
On the backyard of my house, just right beneath a huge mango tree for perfect shade.
Afterwards, if the plan goes along well, then I plan on moving the chickens to my dad's farm in which he's got more than enough place for more chickens. He's got plenty of space and since he liked the idea, he's going to support me on it.
>In the city? Or country?
For now, in the city, well, Its not a big city, its more like a suburb, and afterwards in the countryside.
>>
>>1090579
>>1090581
>>1090588
>razorwire and a fuckhuge CMU wall

what shithole do you live in?

also, that metal frame would work just fine. knock the rust off with some sandpaper or wire brush.
>>
>>1090693
I already said, in Honduras
Its a shit hole indeed, but its been pretty safe lately... the razorwire and CMU wall are just there because why not.

What should I do about the dent on the top of the frame? how can I fix that?
>>
File: Funny-Chicken-30.jpg (92KB, 600x569px) Image search: [Google]
Funny-Chicken-30.jpg
92KB, 600x569px
>>1090695
>What should I do about the dent on the top of the frame? how can I fix that?

That steel frame is a bit rusty but still looks plenty strong enough for a chicken coop and can easily be cleaned up with some sandpaper/Scotch Brite followed by a coat of paint.

But that bent top piece is a problem and it's going to break if you try and bend it back into shape, so you might as well saw it off and weld in a new section of pipe.
>>
>>1090715
If op doesn't have access to a welder, just cutout the bent piece, slide an oversized piece over the 2 nubs, drill through and bolt together.
>>
File: flat,800x800,070,f.jpg (277KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,070,f.jpg
277KB, 800x600px
>>1090717

OP could probably find a guy capable of welding at the local auto repair joint, who'd be willing to knock it out for a few bucks and 6-pack of beer.
>>
>>1090715
>>1090717
>>1090722
thanks guys! Will do tomorrow, because right now its obviously too late. Any more ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Starting tomorrow I will try to cut out the piece and go to the closest place to get a replacement, and I will post pictures of the progress throughout the whole project, since I am a total beginner at this kind of stuff
>>
File: chicken coop 1480288015001.png (2MB, 1040x780px) Image search: [Google]
chicken coop 1480288015001.png
2MB, 1040x780px
>>1090726
>thanks guys! Will do tomorrow

Don’t go cutting anything yet! First find out where and how much the replacement pipe section will be (go to a plumbing supply place) and then look for someone who can weld the pipe in place. Odds are, the same guy welding in the new piece can likely torch off the bent section quickly and easily (sawing it out will be a hassle, especially as you’d be working over your head)

For the chicken coop, I’d use some corrugated steel or fiberglass panels for a roof on the metal frame and then wire the whole thing in as a “yard” for the chickens, building a wooden coop onto the outside / backside of the frame, essentially sticking the “house” part of the chick coop in the OP on the back of the wired in roofed metal frame.
>>
File: chicken perch.jpg (450KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
chicken perch.jpg
450KB, 1600x1200px
>>1090744

Also, if there are some woods around, find some reasonably straight downed tree branches and make a frame along one side of the wired-in yard, for the chickens to perch on and get off the ground. They like that.
>>
File: something like this.jpg (602KB, 1600x1134px) Image search: [Google]
something like this.jpg
602KB, 1600x1134px
>>1090744
>essentially sticking the “house” part of the chick coop in the OP on the back of the wired in roofed metal frame.
>>
>>1090655

>I was planing on starting with about 12 chickens

You do know that you're going to end up getting somewhere around 60 eggs a week with 12 chickens, right?
>>
>>1090744
>>1090752
>>1090753
I know a guy who can help me fix the dented section of the frame. So I will try to contact him tomorrow.
Btw, isn't it much better to remove the rust with the use of chemicals? Or is the sandpaper method better?
>>1090753
This is an excellent idea, I hadn't imagined the coop that way and it would make it look much better than what I had imagined.
>>1090772
how many chickens should I start with? And also, where can I find more information on how to take proper care of chickens? I don't want them getting sick, crowded, or anything like that.
>>
>>1090778
>how many chickens should I start with?
I would base it on how many eggs you want. As a rule of thumb, each chicken will lay eggs twice every three days (more in the summer when it's lighter, and less in the winter when it's darker; you can keep egg production up in the winter with artificial light if you want to - the laying schedule is based on how many hours of light they get in a day).

> And also, where can I find more information on how to take proper care of chickens? I don't want them getting sick, crowded, or anything like that.

There are various sites about keeping 'backyard chickens' you can find.

In general, you'll want 3-4 square feet per chicken of coop space, and 10-15 square feet per chicken of run space. That said, chickens are pretty hardy, and they're cheap, so I wouldn't worry too much about health issues.
>>
>>1090778
>Btw, isn't it much better to remove the rust with the use of chemicals?
most chemicals have you immerse the rusted section for quite a while, it'd be impractical. Just use an abrasive pad, then sandpaper, then clean it off and prime and paint.

As long as they have enough space and a clean living space they'll probably stay pretty healthy.
>>
>>1090562
good advice.
use a square and spirit level at all times OP!

what foundation are you building to coop onto?
>>
>>1090645
Not OP but I would like some advice:
>How many chickens are you planning on having?
What would you say the space density is for 1 chicken (rule of thumb)? I'm thinking about 12 chickens.
>What species? Bantams? Or full size?
Bantam I think. The feed and farm supply store sells them.
>Where do you plan on placing the coop? And how does it sit geographically?
I have two locations in mind. One is on a surface that I can flatten. The second is on a hill with a 20 degree incline.
>In the city? Or country?
Country. Temperate climate in Northern California.

What do you know about breeding chickens? How difficult is it and what should someone keep in mind?
>>
>>1090778
>This is an excellent idea, I hadn't imagined the coop that way and it would make it look much better than what I had imagined.

Exactly, you don't want to put the actual chicken coop (i.e. the wooden "house" where they nest) inside the wired in enclosure, you want to maximize the amount of open space the chickens have to stroll around in that fenced in cage.
>>
>>1090579
>>1090581
>>1090588
>>1090744

Your backyard looks like a fucking prison yard. >Concrete wall
>Barb Wire
Let your chickens run loose. Put some small weight sets back there.
But keep an eye on the lil fuckers or they will start prison gangs.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.