[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

12v WIRING HELP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: voltmeter.jpg (50KB, 671x448px) Image search: [Google]
voltmeter.jpg
50KB, 671x448px
Hey i'm trying to wire two voltmeters to an on off switch, both monitoring one of each in an automotive dual battery system.

This basic diagram diagram shows what i want but i'm new to electrical systems, both batteries are linked via a voltage sensitive relay and this panel sits in the dashboard.

what switch would i be looking for circled in green? what configuration do i need?
>>
OP HERE this voltmeter panel is something i've made myself also out of two separate meters and the switch is all i need to buy, just need help knowing what the best way to go is
>>
>>1090234
Unless your batteries are on 2 separate systems both your volt meters are just going to read the highest voltage battery
>>
So even if i run a wire from each battery to some sort of switch, once they hit the switch all voltage merges? there is no way to separate the voltages again once switched?
>>
File: system.jpg (33KB, 671x448px) Image search: [Google]
system.jpg
33KB, 671x448px
?
>>
>>1090234
"Double pole double throw switch". this will turn both off at same time though.
>>
>>1090242
yes, unless you add a diode between the switch and the batteries (or wherever they merge) to stop any higher voltages feeding back to the batteries.
But then they wont be able to charge.
>>
>>1090245
yeah i want an on and off same time for both but both have to read sperate voltages. Wouldn't double pole double throw be ON - OFF - ON? i want ON - OFF how would i wire the switch?
>>
>>1090247
not true if he uses >>1090245
>>
File: switch.jpg (49KB, 1240x797px) Image search: [Google]
switch.jpg
49KB, 1240x797px
Am i getting closer? if i just figure out what positions the switch uses then both will be on at the same time reading different volts?
>>
>>1090257
>>1090253 here, i should have said DPST

Double pole for 2 batteries
Single throw for on-off style

Cannot make it work using my simulator but i know it is DPST...
>>
>>1090257
This is fine, as long as both batteries are isolated from eachother you will get the readings you want.
>>
>>1090275
can you draw a diagram as to what wires to run to the switch? idc if it has to be ON OFF ON. each voltmeter has a pos and a neg wire
>>
File: help.jpg (46KB, 1240x797px) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
46KB, 1240x797px
>>
>>1090257
this is right
DPST
DPDT fine too, just has a couple unused terminals
>>
File: 1480226062287.jpg (250KB, 1240x797px) Image search: [Google]
1480226062287.jpg
250KB, 1240x797px
>>1090252
>Wouldn't double pole double throw be ON - OFF - ON?
No - that's double pole, double throw, center off.

>>1090283
>can you draw a diagram as to what wires to run to the switch?
Pic related.
>>
File: voltmeters.jpg (224KB, 1595x1283px) Image search: [Google]
voltmeters.jpg
224KB, 1595x1283px
>>1090776
What I drew here will work but to make them come on each time you turn the ignition on you could use two relays.
You could use one DPST relay but the type shown are much easier to find.

Connect the blue wire to any fuse or wire that has 12v on it when the key is on but has no voltage when the key is off.

Turning the ignition to ON or ACC activates the relays which power the voltmeters from the associated battery.
>>
>>1090963
+1
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.