[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Joystick deadzone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: deadzone_zoom80.jpg (15KB, 293x233px) Image search: [Google]
deadzone_zoom80.jpg
15KB, 293x233px
Is there any way to add dead zone to a joystick to two potmeters which are acting as a joystick?

I am adding a joystick to a Sega Naomi arcade game, so there's no way to use any software adjustments.
>>
Welp, I'll try to do it with an Arduino then.
>>
>>1089930
>>1089939
I was typing up a really informative post with specific instructions and cited references but it took me 23 minutes to finish. Imagine my dismay to discover that you had already shut the thread down! Luckily I noticed and managed to delete my post in time.
>>
>>1089998
Was it really necessary to bump this thread then?
>>
>>1089939
Probably easiest to just do it in software, yeah.
>>
>>1089930
potentiometer or rheostat? (3 leads or 2)

i ask because, well this board is full of people that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, you could very well be right with your terminology

i need to know whether its voltage or current change before i can help further.

also have you thought about mechanical, using turn style potentiometers with gearing (rack and pinion) instead of slide style? a dead zone could easily be added just by removing teeth in the racks.
>>
File: tmp_4806-fh3_12-963099009.gif (4KB, 450x401px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_4806-fh3_12-963099009.gif
4KB, 450x401px
I have no idea about old videoconsoles, but if the joystick's potentiometers act like a voltage divider you might be able to add a step using some diodes at the output of each pot.
Diodes are basically an open switch until some voltage is reached, (0.6 volts for you average diode, and a variety of voltages for zener diodes), when that voltage is reached the diode acts like a closed switch.
The best thing to do would be to measure the voltage at the output of the pots when they are in the original position and then their maximum and minimum values, that way you can figure out how to place the diodes if possible.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.