[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

arcade machines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: homemade_arcade_machine_07.jpg (24KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
homemade_arcade_machine_07.jpg
24KB, 300x400px
does anyone have any experience making one? I have a bunch of old CRT monitors so I was going to use that as the screen, but for the components do I just get normal computer parts and use Lakka? or should I use a raspberry pie and Lakka? Or should I go balls to the walls and learn how to make my own OS specifically for this project?
>>
>>1089493
you sounds like you dont even game, forget about it
>>
>>1089495
I used to game. reason for the CRT monitor was for streaming melee at 480p. Also if I'm gonna play retro games may as well use a retro monitor for authentic feel.
>>
>>1089493
why go the hard way?

just build a cabinet and put an old PC in it and just run emulators.

i'm thinking about making one, all i intend to use is an old working MoBo, GPU and PSU.

the only thing i would have to spend money on are hard drives, materials for the cabinet, a TV with hdmi input (low lag), buttons and sticks and the other little things i need to make it work.

i have an old 35 inch CRT TV that i could use for a monitor, but i would rather have a 40-50 inch 16x9 TV just so 4 adults playing actually have room to play and not be crammed together.

as long as its not hooked to the internet just use a pirated copy of windows, no need to worry about viruses that way.

>>>/t/658271
>>
>>1089496
for old games CRT are superior due to the low lag.

LOL try playing NES battle toads on anything else. 40-60ms lag doesn't sound like much, but its actually a lot
>>
>>1089493
Most people just get an older computer, put mame on it, wire up the buttons, and boom, arcade cabinet
>>
>>1089499
dubs of truth here.
>>
>>1089499
also forgot to mention that the lag is so high the NES zapper won't work
>>
>>1089503
damn straight it wont.
>>
>>1089493
>Or should I go balls to the walls and learn how to make my own OS specifically for this project?
Don't be stupid, just use the obvious choice for this application, TempleOS
>>
>>1089503
Do light guns even work on anything but CTRs? I've been lamenting the end of my HotD2 setup. Gun in each hand on vibrate autoreload autofire is too fun for words.
>>
File: IMG_20150904_185420~01.jpg (43KB, 480x484px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150904_185420~01.jpg
43KB, 480x484px
Made this out of old wood plates and old computer parts.
Buttons and joysticks are new tho
I'm not really a gamer but it was fun to build it
(Whole build was like 70 bucks)
>>
I'm looking to build a tabletop arcade machine. I need some buttons for it. I found a sanwa kit for $110. It's got enough buttons for two players.

Is the difference in quality that much that it makes sanwa worth it or can I buy a bag of buttons from Aliexpress?
>>
>>1089614
Happ Controls for the win.
>>
>>1089493
Somebody post the shop website that has all the joysticks and buttons. U can legit build these. Down to the back little plastic tops bruh. Do it.
>>
>>1089614
I used ILSA buttons (3 bucks) and joysticks (20 bucks)
they feel and work pretty nice and original
>>
>>1089805
at those prices you can easily buy spares, just to have on hand.

just like any other hobby, once it catches on you will have people trying to profit from other peoples ignorance.

i've seen things similar to this >>1089580 that people are selling for $400+, once you know what goes into one, you know you can make one yourself for way less, plus you'll have the knowledge to repair it when something eventually goes wrong.
>>
>>1089493
Hi OP,
For 15 years I used to be a coin-op game tech, pins and vids. Stopped working in that industry in the late 90's, but it really hasn't changed all that much.

I've worked for companies that tried building their own cabinets instead of buying them. It's very expensive, only really cost-effective if you're building them in a production line-like environment and selling them for a profit. The materials are more expensive than you think. To do a good job you need furniture-grade plywood. You can be cheap an use particle board for much of it but it's not very durable. You also make lots of mistakes designing one unless you're skilled at making furniture. I'd recommend trying to find a used cabinet online somewhere and refurbishing it, instead of trying to make one from scratch; that's what the game operators have been doing for decades now, buying 'conversion kits' that contain a PCB, new controls, side and control panel overlay graphics, and a new marquee, to make an old game into a new game for a fraction of the cost of a whole new game. You should do something similar for your MAME cabinet. Lay out the control panel with 2 8-way sticks and 6 buttons per player, and 2 start buttons; that'll cover most games. Also do yourself a favor and harness up your control panel wiring neatly and so it 'flows' in one direction, not all over the place, so if you have to replace buttons or sticks you can do it easily and not have it be a rats' nest. Use 'fastons' to connect to the switches, don't solder to them.
>>
Amateur question, but if I'm purchasing something from Aliexpress how do I know it's not a fake? Found a Sanwa kit for half of what it normally goes for, but I'm skeptical. I assume I'm over thinking everything.
>>
>>1090665
>Aliexpress
>half cost
How is that NOT setting off your radar?
>>
File: 20161116_165317.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161116_165317.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Made mine on the cheap with wood i had laying around. I got the plans online. I did go with HAPP buttons and sticks. Currently, it's running on an old pc with MAME. i use a raspberry pi for retro emu. I've been thinking about making a four person controller, with foldable legs, and a built in R Pi with retro pie, so i can plug it into the HDTV. I've had good success with R Pi. As far as the cab goes, there are a ton of plans and button layouts online, especially for CRT. Go for it.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.