[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Blacksmithing General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0845.jpg (70KB, 711x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0845.jpg
70KB, 711x800px
What happened to the last blacksmithing general?

Can someone explain the sudden surge of stubby, tanto knives? Pic semi related.
>>
>>1089236
Less than 2 inch blade. Check your local laws for the implications
>>
>>1089236
Guess they'd make an ok box cutter, not a lot of use for much else.
Currently doing a run of little paring knives but they're about 90mm/3.5" blades, swear the smaller I make things the longer it takes sometimes
>>
>>1089275
short knives are good for leatherworking and woodworking
>>
>>1089517
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fRaS6ZXMn4
>>
>>1089517
Yeah I guess it would be ok for that, most of the leatherworker knives I'm passingly familiar with are sort of a half-moon shape with the handle going into the centre. Kind of of like an Ulu or herb cutter
>>
What sort of metals are good in blacksmithing and what properties are people looking for in the metals they buy for blacksmithing?
>>
>>1089638
Most generic fabrication can range from simple iron or the low-medium carbon steels. Tools and blades are generally high carbon and tool steels.
>>
>>1089642
Thanks anon, i've got a few piles of high carbon steel and i wasn't sure what to do with it
>>
File: knife.png (653KB, 635x790px) Image search: [Google]
knife.png
653KB, 635x790px
How to
build a forge
make blacksmith tools
heat thread
find steel
Make tools (drill hoe tongs hammers Etc.)

> https://murdercube.com/files/Knifemaking/Basic%20Blacksmithing%20-%20Local%20materials.pdf

All from above but special for knifemaking

>https://murdercube.com/files/Knifemaking/The%20Complete%20Bladesmith-Forging%20Your%20Way%20to%20Perfection-Jim%20Hrisoulas-PDF.PDF

Don`t worry about the name its a file dump from /k/
Pic is from link two
>>
tanto knives are for weaboos who take out their anger by stabbing shit and need superior japanese desings
>>
>>1089647
If you know the type of steel and its composition it'll make heat treating a lot less hit-miss as you can just find the specs for that with a bit of googling
Even if you're not interested in making knife blades, stuff like woodwork carving chisels (which are fiendishly expensive to buy) are easy to knock out with a grinder and files.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.