[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

diy laptop battery replacement

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20161124_105852.jpg (660KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161124_105852.jpg
660KB, 1280x960px
hello fellow /diy/ers!
got some actually pretty decent laptop in return for a favour. decided to actually use it insteat of reselling. thing is battery is dead. decided to replace the all-hail-to-the-18650. while tearing apart the enclosure i ripped a temp sensor off the pcb. pic related. 2 questions:
1. would it work somewhat safely without that one sensor because soldering flexcables is a pain in the ass.
2. the metal clips holding the fuckers together: once removed how to reattach to ensure same conductivity?
>>
>>1088859

I can't answer your questions, but I can add one. I read that some laptop charging circuitry remembers that the batteries died and will not charge new ones unless you reprogram the charging circuitry, which would require information not readily available.

I have some old laptops that I would like to repair same as you are planning. One thing that really pisses me off is that some laptops refuse to boot off dc power whether the battery is good or not, or even installed for that matter.
>>
>would it work somewhat safely without that one sensor

'somewhat safely' is the operative term. or, it may refuse to charge at all without it, meaning you'd have to solder a resistor in its place.

> once removed how to reattach

one way is to make an electric welder using a microwave transformer. youtube has vids on battery-tab welding. simpler way is a good 35W soldering iron. you'll probably need to file/grind off the nickel coating to make the solder stick. if the tabs break, use #14 stranded wire.
>>
>>1088865
>One thing that really pisses me off is that some laptops refuse to boot off dc power whether the battery is good or not, or even installed for that matter.

this is just common-sense capitalism: take 'em for all they're worth. if you disagree, go back to russia, comrade.
>>
>>1088865
somewhat safely = not exploding.
already soldered it back on. had to scrape off some coating to access the lanes since the pads were ripped off too.

also thanks for the input on welding but i dont have the means for that atm. i was thinking about adhesive coppertape + soldering a small and flat connection on each tab.

>>1088864
never encountered such a shit but once saw a 'multifunction' printer that didn't allow me to use it's scanner unit because one ink cartridge was empty. i felt myself overcome with a morbid mixture between mysides.jpg and going postal on that thing. so
>>1088867
go back to /g/ normie.
>>
>>1088881
its
>>
>>1088859
Just before you start, some of those boards in those batteries have circuits that are in charge of keeping track how many times the battery has been charged, so if you replace the cells, it still won't charge.

It's best to check first if this isn't one of those batteries.
>>
File: IMG_20161124_121652.jpg (635KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161124_121652.jpg
635KB, 960x1280px
>>1088864
>>1088911
http://www.karosium.com/2016/08/hacking-r2j240-lgc.html

as far as i understand i just have to connect pin 12 to ground to reset the charging counter microcontroller, do i?
>>
>>1088949

Interesting find. He's way out of my league, but that RESET probably does nothing except restart the chip. He was writing to the flash to change the cycle count, which he believes is encoded.

It should not hurt to do what he said, but I'd use a resistor like he did just to avoid killing the chip if you ground the wrong pin.

Also, if you have never seen a lithium battery burn, go find a video on youtube. They can turn into blowtorches if you puncture them, I'm not sure if you can screw up by charging them incorrectly, which could happen if you screw up the controller chip. Yeah, I'm the worrier type.
>>
>>1088986
>I'm not sure if you can screw up by charging them incorrectly

How do you think those batteries blowing up on YouTube are set off?

And being the worrisome type saves lives.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.