[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

'repair' thermal paste

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

I have a fossil machine with an overheating CPU that's not worth the few bucks to fix. is there any random household item i could smear between the ancient (~6 years old) CPU and stock cooler that might make it last a bit longer?
>>
Toothpaste or Hand cream with glycerine.

Works pretty well, but in 2 years you will have to change them eventually.

otherwise you could use an grinder and grind the both survaces to mirror shine finish, this helps more than most thermal greases.

I got over 20 degrees lower temps with grinding and using liquid metal as cooling medium
>>
>>1088847
assuming i dont grind, do i scrape off the original paste or just layer the new stuff on top?
>>
>>1088850
always get rid od of the old stuff.

and then really just a small drop in the middle and place the cooler on it.
>>
>>1088850
you wipe it off, not scrape it

with kitchen paper and rubbing alcohol

then dry with lint free cloth

do the same to the heatsink

also thermal paste costs only a few bucks there is no reason to ghetto this and just half ass make it work for a short while
>>
>>1088842
>its not worth a dollar
well that answers your question.
>>
>>1088842
Zinc Oxide ointment is almost the same thing as thermal paste.
>>
I use dielectric grease in a pinch. Never left it for more then a few days tho so not sure how it holds up over time
>>
Пpивeт бpaтaн бpaтишкa
>>
Be sure to use the correct amount, here is an MSI instructional webm for you
>>
>>1088974
Is that supposed to be a joke?
>>
>>1088977
Its on MSIs official youtube channel
>>
File: 1459527210587.jpg (475KB, 456x628px) Image search: [Google]
1459527210587.jpg
475KB, 456x628px
>>1088974
mfw people insist this is the correct method because of this video
>>
File: 1380055681809.jpg (30KB, 462x500px) Image search: [Google]
1380055681809.jpg
30KB, 462x500px
>>1088842
>not worth the few bucks to fix
mfw

http://www.overclockers.com/homemade-thermal-grease/

http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm
>>
>>1088977
Looks like AM1 socket, so that's a 25w CPU at most. In this case they don't need to do a good job, but it's a terrible example.

Pattern of rice-grain dots that will mash to cover the area over the die. Which in this case means one in the center -- the actual die is the size of my thumbnail.
>>
>>1088847
>grind
There is no way on earth you would get a flat surface with a grinder. OP could lap the cpu and cooler (wet sandpaper on a sheet of glass) to a mirror finish
>>
>>1088842
>not worth the few bucks to fix

>working on a PC
>doesnt have a handful of cheap thermal paste tubes laying around
>>
>>1088974
They got that everywhere, what jokers.

Wonder if I could get a job with them...
>>
>>1088842
If there is left over paste there that has just dried out a drop or 2 of wd40 can be used to rewet the paste pretty effectively
>>
>>1089028
Yup am1, i have that motherboard. And any cpu you get for it comes with preapplied thermal paste. No idea why they made a video about it.
>>
>>1089101
That is the worst idea ive ever heard
You cant "rewet" the paste by using something made specifically to displace water and then dry it up.
>>
>>1088842
there is ton of cheap termal paste types why the fuck you dont get it? just clean the old ond aply new one or get a new cooler or even a used on on craigslist if you dont want investing in it the sell the computer
>>
Dielectric grease is handy and you can get small packets at any auto store.
>>
>>1089120
Thermal paste isn't water based, it's oil based

Wd40 is an oil, it is highly penetrating with a low evaporation rate

It is the perfect solution when you have no thermal paste lying around

I've done this and come back 9 months later and the paste was still tacky
>>
>>1088842
you don't have $ 10 for new paste but you have the time to post, wait and look through all kinds of different shit to replace a thermal paste ?

Holy fuck, you must be homeless or something.
>>
>>1088842
/g/ here
use cum
>>
>>1089439
$10? Cheap paste is like $3 and the high end shit is only about $5
>>
>>1088842
Did you bother to even clean the dust out of the cooler?
That and make sure your cpu isn't overworking.
>>
>>1089431
It doesnt matter what the paste is based on.
WD40 is literally a solvent meant to soak up water, break things free with its oil, and then dry up and dissipate shortly after. Its a penetrant for gods sake.

It doesnt last 9 months on ANYTHING, its not supposed to.
>>
File: 1420598681666.jpg (23KB, 488x488px) Image search: [Google]
1420598681666.jpg
23KB, 488x488px
>>1089468
>soak up water

The D stands for displacement. It's not miscible with water in any way.
>>
>>1089468
Wd40 has 2 oils that are held in suspension, one is highly displacing and evaporates quickly and the second is a slowly evaporation oil that fills in

It's why the wd40 claims "clean and protect"
>>
File: WD-40_Smart_Straw.jpg (728KB, 1018x2368px) Image search: [Google]
WD-40_Smart_Straw.jpg
728KB, 1018x2368px
>>1089468
You must not have ever used WD40 on metal, it can last years
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.