[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Joinery faggotry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Interesting.jpg (65KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Interesting.jpg
65KB, 640x640px
I'm currently planning out a bed frame and I'm trying to do it entirely using mortise and tenon joints(foxtail joints for the bed slats to side rail connections, foxtail joints for the center slat brace and a pegged mortise and tenon for the center brace leg.)
I've run into issues on how to connect the outer rails together at the corners and pick related looks like it might be the ticket. Is this all a really dumb idea?
>>
File: BedFrameJoint.png (147KB, 1500x3300px) Image search: [Google]
BedFrameJoint.png
147KB, 1500x3300px
>>1088658
Here is my personal one...

Use it or don't idc. The one you posted will work fine tho.
>>
sliding dovetail
>>
>>1088658
I would use a draw pin to make sure they hold with all the motion a bed is subject to.
>>
This thread is relevant to my interests. My wife has been bugging me to make a bed frame.
>>
>>1088658
This is how I made my bed
>>
>>1088685
the acute angle in the pink part looks like it will be an incredible stress concentration and will absolutely crack due to fatigue over time
>>
>>1088715
this. All these excessively complex looking joints have too many weak spots to actually be durable construction methods. From how I imagine op pic to be put together I'd feel like it would have the same issue/
>>
>>1089142
There is 8 square inches of wood there. The pink post is a 4x4 unlike the longer dark pink post.

I know people tend to think my jointery won't work. But ive used it with zero shakes or wobbles. Its a bed after all not a ships rib or keel.
>>
>>1088685
Where are you buying these 4x4s you cut these shity 2x2 end grain notches out of? The last 5,000 I bought are 3.5"x3.5"?
>>
>>1089273
>Its a bed after all not a ships rib or keel.

ayy I'm guessing you also go to /r9k/ then?
>>
>>1089325
Literally any sawmill..
>>
nigga leave decorative joints for coffee tables, use proper joinery for bed

inb4 muh japanese joinery - they didn't make beds with it, those guys slept on the floor
>>
>>1089336
iseewhatyoudidthar.jpg
>>
>>1089273
>>1089336
>>1089430

That gave me a chuckle.

I think if OP's joint would be nice for a table where it was exposed.

Would not the use of a proper adhesive make that joint solid enough for a bed given that the legs aren't going to be long?
>>
>>1088658
this seems overly complicated, why not just offset tenons to the outside, and mitered in the middle? then you wont get the end grain showing.

you're using foxtails in other places, so you don't want to take it apart later. that's the only reason i'd probably consider something like in the pic.
>>
File: bedframe.jpg (135KB, 1159x877px) Image search: [Google]
bedframe.jpg
135KB, 1159x877px
>>1088658
Pic related is what I just built. Super simple bed frame that is held together by gravity alone.

The small piece in the middle of the pic is what the corner pieces look like from straight on. Each corner piece is a 4x4x8 piece. A 1 inch deep rabbet (kind of) is taken out of the outside sides of the corner pieces. That is where the 1x16 planks sit that cover the bed frame and box spring will sit (haven't made them yet). Then, further up, 4 inches down from the top, is cut a 2 inch deep rabbet.

The green 2x4 sits in that second rabbet. Into the green 2x4 are cut 2 inch dados for the orange 2x4's to lay cross ways but flush with the green 2x4's and the corner pieces.

As it sits right now, I have the corner pieces, the green 2x4's and the orange 2x4's assembled. I slept on it and it is solid. It will be even more solid when I get the 1x16 planks on the outside, because they'll be joined by box joints and sit flush with the outside edge of the green 2x4's.

There are no fasteners or glue, just gravity and joinery. The whole thing was done with a circular saw.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.