[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

capacitor or fuse?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

File: whatisthis.jpg (666KB, 1817x1335px) Image search: [Google]
whatisthis.jpg
666KB, 1817x1335px
I have no idea what this is. there are three of them around a camera flash capacitor discharge circuit. I've read that they are resettable fuses and i've never seen white capacitors. now removed they all measure ~50nF, resistance out of range. so i figure they are indeed capacitors. are they a special type of capacitor?
>>
File: download (9).jpg (1KB, 200x120px) Image search: [Google]
download (9).jpg
1KB, 200x120px
sorry, not resettable, quick blow.

there are white quick blow smd fuses that look pretty much the same.
>>
File: fuse.jpg (282KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
fuse.jpg
282KB, 1024x768px
this would be a cap for sure.
chip-type fuses are usually larger and rather flat and will always have their rating either printed directly on them or on the silkscreen around them, usually with an F designator, not a C or R.
pic related, right in the middle.
>>
File: Bel_Fuse-0679-5000-12-image.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Bel_Fuse-0679-5000-12-image.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
>>1088395
fuses like this have a square cross-section, not rectangular like ops image, and have larger contacts so they fit into sockets
>>
File: 1843781-40.jpg (5KB, 269x200px) Image search: [Google]
1843781-40.jpg
5KB, 269x200px
>>1088397
I found this picture on farnell tho. it's of a TE white 2A smd fuse, so there are fuses that look like this. problem is that when i replaced these with 3A PTC fuses, the flash capacitor gets warm and it still doesnt turn on but now if I touch the test points on the main board, I get 1.10V and 3.00V power being delivered to the mainboard.

this is just for fun, i bought a salt water destroyed 600D and I'm trying to fix it. the conformal coating protected pretty much everything except ribon connectors which i just cleaned with phosphoric acid and rinsed with methanol, now it looks clean and all the contacts work. just trying to work out what's going on.
>>
>>1088397
>>1088398
There are all kinds of chip fuses, with different contacts and cross-sections and not all of them have stuff printed on them.

>>1088394
If your meter says 50nF and it's not bogus (resistance measurement agrees), then it certainly sounds like a capacitor. White NP0 ceramic is pretty common in smaller capacitors (less than 1nF).
>>
so i ended up replacing them with 50nf capacitors and now the ground plane gets really hot.
>>
>>1088400
>flash capacitor gets warm
Umm that sounds like a problem in itself.
>>
OK I think i found the problem. disregarding meme advice from forums that told me those caps were fuses now. whywouldsomeonejustgoontheinternetandlie.jpg

the problem appears to be a fault in the current sensing circuit. I've taken a lot of bits off the board now, flash and charging capacitor are out so the flash circuit isnt the problem. it was a 0.05A 2W thin film resistor in the current sensing chunk of the circuit. it was burning up badly. which means its not metering the current properly. 8V/2A draining right through it. when i measure the resistance between the + and - terminals on the board i get about 5Mohm with the battery out. so there must be a transistor somewhere hanging open for no reason letting all the power through.

the next step in tracing the circuit is to work out what these 8-pin ICs marked

JS
0K3
>>
>>1088394
How has no one suggested you check it for capacitance or continuity?
>>1088771
You've shorted something.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.