[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I make gold rings and what tools do I need? What other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: im7knyn7tw.jpg (110KB, 640x629px) Image search: [Google]
im7knyn7tw.jpg
110KB, 640x629px
How do I make gold rings and what tools do I need? What other materials will I need to forge these rings.
Also I need you to tell me like I'm someone who has absolutely no Idea what the fuck I'm doing.
t. Pirate with chest of gold and gems looking to sell it off for even more money then buy more gold make more rings sell more rings buy more gold ect.
>>
>>1088311
Me too. I built a few foundries and casted some. I suggest u youtube grat tomoson's _king of random channel. He has like 5 worthwhilr vidya amd 1 that talks about the does and donts of his design. Shit cost me a lot of time and money to learn.

Order u some petrobond off amazon and look up "green sand casting." And "lost wax casting."

Its a hell of a rabit hole but worth it.

For detail and scale most jewelers do lost wax and use

>pic related.

An electric jewlers foundry. Commonly mislabeled as a smelter or forge also.

Of course u can diy with a propane torch and small amounts of aluminum.

Then when u have confidence u can move up to silver as its cheap.

And then gold.

Keep in mind gold is soft so often gold plated with less pure gold.

Other than that good luck.

Do some youtube and googling and hit me up here if u have questions. I can try and help.

If u have expendable income i'd just buy a setup off amazon and go nuts.
>>
Jesus fuck. my spellcheck...
>>
>>1088311
There's a more time-consuming method you can use to make gold and silver rings which doesn't require anything but a hammer. Get a gold or silver coin and, holding it on edge, begin tapping the rim with your hammer, slowly rotating the coin around so you get all the rim equally. Slowly you will begin creating a flattened rim which will become your ring. Keep going around and around until you have a rim of the size you want your ring to be. Then use your hammer and a chisel or hole punch to punch the middle out. With some 200+ grit sandpaper and elbow grease you should eventually get yourself a very simple gold or silver ring.
>>
>>1088470
Shit yeah. Forgot there are legit youtube vids.

Id poke a hole and put it on a drill to save time but whatever works.
>>
>>1088311

You have no idea wtf you're doing.

But you have the desire to do _something_ so that's good!
>>
>>1088465
gold is soft, but its pretty hard at stage 4 of work hardening, but its also brittle, its not going to save your finger from getting crushed that's for sure, but neither will steel.

as a jeweler i make rings under size and stretch them on a mandrel to get the hardness to a 3-3.5, they actually take some force to bend

lesser gold plated with 24k is cheap shit, even cheaper is copper core, i love telling people i can't repair their $20 walmart copper core ring due to the heat differential between the metals.

>>1088311
there is so much to making actual jewelry it can't be explained in this thread, you don't need a foundry unless your melting more than a couple ounces at once. gold and silver have low melting points where butane will get it so hot it will vaporize and be gone forever, butane burns almost twice as hot as whats needed.

if your starting out work in a dark room, gold and silver are basically white metals, they don't glow bright red like steel or iron when heated to critical, but they do glow red but its faint. you don't even need a foundry, just cut the coins up and run them through a draw plate and make it into wire. every few passes you soften metal back to stage one you have to heat it and then soak it in whats called a pickle solution, heating alone will not work.

when selling gold rings you made, if they are shit they are only going to be worth what ever the gold weighs.

i'm still waiting for someone on this board to ask about working platinum, to separate the men from the boys and get rid of the esty crap ideas. platinum makes gold and silver childs play

to bad OP isn't asking about lapidary or cabochon machine to recut the stones, that easy, same hardness of the stone cuts and polishes at the same time, harder abrasives cut and you have to use finer grits to polish.
>>
>>1089554
LOL now i'm waiting for the diy bingo image so people can check off expert
>>
>>1089556
/diy/ bingo is used to make fun of shitty threads because they identify the patterns of posts that are always in them. Experts giving quality information will never be on a bingo card. They elevate the entire website.
>>
>>1089554
I know u could probably talk for days. How would I go about doing this as a hobby for now? Just YouTube or do u recommend some how to DVD? U go to school or just get a job being tool batch for a guy?
>>
>>1089639
Needs all spaces to be (you) and circled. Have some (you) for being the 1 anon a day or less that isn't a huge dicklick.
>>
>>1088311

metal
plaster
wax
a mold
kiln
torch
centrifuge
bench grinder
dremel
>>
>>1089655
i started when i bought a used lapidary machine for $900 from an old jeweler a couple towns over. he also gave me a box 30 VHS tapes all 6 hours long of jewelers making jewelry from wire and foil/sheet.

i just wanted to cut stones (i'm a rock hound), but after spending days watching video i slowly bought the few things i needed to get started.

to get started making things, you only need a few things. draw plates (round and half round), pickle solution and something to heat it in (i use one of those potpourri crock pot things). a decent copping saw with fine jewelers blades, ring clamps, ring pliers, plastic tweezers, a good set of tapered mandrels (better if they indicate size, one full round the other with a flat) heat proof ceramic plate and a refillable butane torch. oh and a buffing wheel with different rouges (compounds) and a good acid flux and dental pick.

a couple VHS tapes i have explained making tooling so i made my bezelers, prong lifters and such out of finishing nails.

start with fine silver because its cheap, don't even think about making something wearable, just practice welding pieces together until you know how much you need to fill in one go, if you add too much you have to remove it with files or a buffing wheel.

i don't know whats on youtube as far as tool making, but i know there are plenty of videos of people making quality stuff.

i started out repairing stuff, cost of materials and $20 and hour (that was almost 20 years ago) for how long it took me. i pissed off local jewelers because they were ripping people off. every dime i made i put back into the business for 5 years just buying stuff i didn't have, so i didn't really pay taxes on what i made because i didn't make anything.

one of the best feelings in the world is getting kicked out of a chain jewelry store, because they overprice junk, and their stones are not what they say they are.

to be continued
>>
>>1089812
start out making big stuff like belt buckles, its easier than rings. its to the point now you can buy rough castings just a little above what its worth in the weight of the metal, all they require is some buffing, some stretching on a mandrel and setting a stone.

it will be hard, but a lot of people make jewelry as a hobby, but they keep it quiet due to the fact they have supplies of gold and precious stones at their house. check craigslist, the local paper for jewelers tools for sale. if you can find a hobbyist/professional close to you ask if you can apprentice for free. if you look trust worthy they might just take you on for free, but you will have access to tools that would take $1000's to acquire plus the knowledge on how to use them.

also doing anything jewelry related as a hobby attracts the wrong kind of women, you don't want them in your life, they just want a constant supply of shiny for free.

invest in a good safe or get a safety deposit box, you don't need more than an ounce of precious metals at a time for making rings, hell you can easily make 5-6 rings out of an ounce of gold.
>>
>>1089814
oh and i also forgot about ventilation, you can get heavy metal poisoning just from heating gold and silver, not to mention it all contains trace amounts of cyanide due to the refining processes. once you save up enough buy a good range hood, by then you should have a dedicated room for it and not using your kitchen table
>>
File: 20161127_112159.jpg (2MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
20161127_112159.jpg
2MB, 2656x1494px
Goldsmith fag here.
Yes, my workspace is untidy as all hell right now. Just finished a rush job.
I run production for a small company.
All handwork.
Casting is for fags. No exceptions. It produces far inferior quality.
A.M.A.
>>
>>1089817
Ha ha ha. Nope
Don't listen to this fag. Gold and Silver are fine to smelt. More fumes from filux than from gold.
>>
>>1090331
do you repair as well, if so where is your yellow ochre?

>>1090333
lol do us all a favor and keep breathing the fumes in
>>
>>1090331
what do you do for a living?
>>
>>1090411
obviously hes a goldsmith, who works for a small company. my guess is he bends cuts and welds gold together for a living and probably sets stone in his work.

what i'm curious about is how much he gets paid working for someone else doing what hes doing.

the chain jewelry stores around where i live pay shit for the skill involved $15-30 and hour then again they don't do serious repair work either, just resizing rings or fixing a broken band. the real deal stores don't usually hire outside as its a relative or owner themselves doing the work.
>>
>>1090331
is that a finger brace your working on that's laying on your table?
>>
>>1088311
Is this RuneScape IRL?
>>
>>1090384
Ha ha. Nope. I don't use retard powder.
It's not difficult to not overflow solder.
I've never used it and I've been doing this for 11 years
>>
>>1090446
Jewellery manufacture, stone mounting, engraving and watch repair.

I kinda own a small portion of the company.
I get paid around $3000 p/m but that's quite a lot of money in my country.
>>1090447
Nope. It's a spit open shank for a millennium style ring.
Setting 0.03ct diamonds in the side and a sapphire in a tube setting in the middle.

I just make what the client wants.
>>
>>1090798
>I get paid around $3000 p/m
How many hours per week?
>>
>>1090800
About 56 to 60 hours a week.
I'm here from 8 in the morning until 6 at night.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.