[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Two cords?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_20161122_201709.jpg (606KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161122_201709.jpg
606KB, 1600x1200px
Am I retarded? Need to make an extension cord for two heater but I only have (lots) of these plain wires.

I'm certain that the cord can't take the load alone but would it help if I connected it to two cords to ease the load(?)

Some unforeseen events have made me a true poorfag that only have pennies to live on. But it's starting to become cold and the heat is not working at the moment.
>>
>>1088034
if you know the power (wattage) and tell us where you are and if you can work out the cross sectional area of the wires (it should be stamped on it somewhere actually) then i'm sure someone will be able to work out what you need.

i would assume a heater should be grounded, the cable you show has no cpc (ground) but as long as you don't touch anything when its plugged in it won't kill you.
>>
1st dont use an ungrounded connection for space heaters, thats a disaster waiting to happen

2nd those wires seem, to me, like they could take about 8 or so amps, so for a heater, it would require you to keep it on the lowest setting or you are gonna risk melting the insulation on those wires

and lastly, why dont you just go by some proper wire? its not that expensive, for less than $20 bucks you can get 10 meters of proper gauge 3 wire insulated cable

stay safe during the cold, gl
>>
forgot to mention, if you do decide to use double the wires, like you mention in the op, those need to be exactly the same length (and from the same cable) to allow current to flow "equal" parts on both cables

still, buy proper cabling, or "borrow" some from a broken appliance. gl
>>
>>1088034
Yes, it will work in a pinch, but your connections will be twice as iffy with two wires. If you solder it, it should be fine, but wire nuts may heat up.

My autism would make me undo those wires and twist the brown and brown together, then the blue and blue. But that's up to you.

Also, you're better off just stealing a cord from another unused appliance, as I'm guessimg you still need a plug.
>>
>>1088046
What the fuck are you on about? Flow the same amount? The hot and the neutral have to be the same length? I really hope you're not saying this.
>>
File: 411122.jpg (23KB, 458x458px) Image search: [Google]
411122.jpg
23KB, 458x458px
>>1088038
They are rated from 750-2000W.
On the cable it says " H03VVH2-F 2x0,75 mm2".
Well the outlets aren't grounded either way.
>>1088044

When I said I'm counting pennies I meant it.
The outlet is not grounded so wouldn't matter?

>>1088048
So it doesn't matter if they are the same length?
>>
>>1088054
well, 0.75mm is tricky, technically according to any regulations you care to find its too small for anything.
however, you will find this size on e.g. a kettle flex. the difference is that the kettle is only boiling for a few minutes.

also the cable is very short, you need to let us know how long the extension is, i assume its quite long otherwise you would just plug it in directly?

doubling them up will give you 1.5mmsq which will give you about 13A / 3000W which should be ok.
so double them up as a minimum.
if you are doubling them up ideally they should be as close to the same length as possible.
not the line/neutral the same length, both lines and both neutrals should be the same.
in reality it wont matter much.
>>
>>1088057
One around 7m and the other 1,5m
>>
>>1088048
>hot
no wonder you are confused poor American you are out of your depth.
>>
>>1088059
7m is fine, if it was 50m or so we would have a problem.
i shouldn't need to say this because it applies to ALL electric heaters, not just cobbled together pieces of shit, don't leave that cunt unattended, don't go to sleep with it on, don't put them between you and a fire exit.
>>
>>1088034
It can be done but I'd say it's asking for trouble. According to my local standards you can run 14A in a 1,5mm^2 cable when it's mounted in-wall, surface mounted its 18,5A and here is the useless factoids, as a buried cable 26A and as a cable in the air, 19A.
The plug looks like schuko so max amps you can run is 16A, don't try to put two 2kW heaters in the same plug.

Oh,and anon, please don't bury that cable.
>>
File: IMG_20161122_223211.jpg (802KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161122_223211.jpg
802KB, 1600x1200px
>>1088063
Ok got it!

Started to assemble this mess now
>>
>>1088077
And with a 16A fuse, max watts are 3,5kW, with a 10A fuse its 2kW.
>>
>>1088063

Technically, they should both be as close in length as possible, even if that means shortening the 7m cord to 1.5m.

The 1.5m cord will have lower resistance than the 7m cord, and will have much more than half of the current flowing through it until it gets hot enough to raise the resistance of it to be closer to the 7m cord. also known as way too hot.

yeah the ohmic value is tiny, but its the ratio of them that matters not the total value. Your normally only really worried about the total ohmic value of your wires when your talking voltage drop.

all this said this is a terrible terrible idea and if you really have no other options like a 99c used extension cord you should try to salvage some better wire
>>
>>1088078
It's not cool to have a grounded plug but without ground. Maybe an europlug in the other end?
>>
>>1088084
Ok, luckily I measured and was only off by 8mm on the 7m one and 2-3mm on 1.5m
I've searched far and wide without any results. This will have to do til my next salary, will keep an close eye on it for now.
>>1088085
Didn't have any other available. Yes it a europlug.
>>
>>1088108

You want to match length of parallel conductors, that is the two that are 'tied together'.

I'm legit wierded out by this whole thread. You are either a troll or you clearly shouldn't be doing this because if your thinking like you are after getting advice your going to make mistakes about things you don't know to ask.

Best i can say is don't do it, or wait for next paycheck. At the very least replace it next paycheck.

I hate to be old man safety here but your in over your head.
>>
>>1088111
Yes that's what I meant.

Sadly no I'm not a troll, I'm just a desperate dumb youngling. (Estimated temp -15 in a week)

No worries I like you safety anons.
>>
>>1088048
>The hot and the neutral have to be the same length?
no stubid, op is trying to use double the cabling, or are you blind and cant see the pic in the op?

if one of the set of cables is shorter than the other, the magical pixies will chose to flow via "only" one of the cables, defeating the purpose of what op wants

also, what >>1088063 said
dont die >>1088078 !
>>
>>1088108
Schuko in one end and europlug in the other? Oh my!
This cable is going to be the cable of cables.
I tried to look for the pictures I have from my time working in Thailand. Everybody was a electrician there so it was easy doing wiring!
>>
are you fucking retarded? why create a fire hazard in your house when you can just buy an extension cord for 5 bucks or less? theyre 2 bucks at the dollar store, if you dont have 2 bucks to spend then youre poorer than a homeless person
>>
>are you fucking retarded? why create a fire hazard in your house

wow, there's so much fucking hysteria in this thread. what the guy is doing is perfectly safe, sensible and logical. there's not even the need to replace it when new funds become available.

two thin wires in parallel act exactly like a thick wire if their gauge and lengths are equivalent.

the hysterics, presumably, come from damaged individuals who have all their creativity stifled out of them by fascist educational institutions. like that 7-yo american kid suspended from school for cutting his pop-tart into a gun shape.
>>
> that 7-yo american kid suspended from school for cutting his pop-tart into a gun shape.
> I'll never be that much of a baller
>>
>>1088346
woah there

im a damaged hysteric stifled by fascist educational institutions because i think nstead of toying around with wiring he clearly knows nothing about he should spend the couple bucks on an actual entension cord?

you're right, how did i never realize this?
>>
>>1088380
>toying around with wiring he clearly knows nothing

you only have to look at the guy's handiwork here >>1088078
to see he's perfectly competent.
>>
>>1088034
Make your landlord fix your heater.
>>
>>1088326
Do you realize that an extension cord is made out of wires and plugs by a person?
>>
OP here, tested the cables for 4h (on 2000W) yesterday and it works fine.
The cables were a little warm (slightly above room temperature) but they faired better then expected.
Thanks for the help /diy/nosaurs!
>>
you are violating so many regulations, your insurance will give negative fucks if something happens
>>
>>1088443
he could add a third cable for ground
>>
>>1088034
Judging from the pic, you might be holding 2x1.5mm there, in which case you shouldn't pull more than 10A (at least according to the regulations where i live). It might be 2x2.5mm through which you can pull 16A. If you pair them, you'll theoretically double the allowed throughput, but you should account for some poor mating in each end, so my suggestion is this:
If you double a 1.5mm, keep it under 16A,
if you double a 2.5mm, keep it under 25A.

Tl;dr: you can double it, but it won't be according to spec/laws, and you really should leave some headroom.
>>
Me: >>1088537

>>1088054
If you double 0.75mm you would in theory be able to run 10A through it, but again, you need some leeway, so you're left with maybe 6A. What if you quadruple them instead? Then 16A becomes more realistic. But as someone else daid: 0.75 is too small for any significant currents, so keep that in mind.

And ofcourse, it's way out of spec.
>>
>>1088537
he's got an europlug on there. anything over 2.5A is already out of spec

btw, what country do you live in? 10A for 1.5mm2 is considerably lower than what's allowed here
>>
>>1088409
breddy gud job op but 4h don;t mean shit.
you need to keep check them regularly and accurately enough that you can plot the actual temperature and find the steady state by analyzing the rise and finding asymptote

then again, cable melt temperature is significantly hotter than anything you can comfortably touch. even if it "feels hot" its probably fine.
>>
>>1088519
That doesn't sound to bad. But the outlet isn't grounded
>>1088547
2.5A ONLY? That must be wrong.
>>1088549
It has been on for 16h now with (I think) slightly higher temperature, I can still touch it doh.
Can you give me the name of a tool that let me check the temp on it?
>>
>>1088719
>Can you give me the name of a tool that let me check the temp on it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermometer
>>
>>1088044
>>1088054
Germanfag here. Where is OP from? European outlets provide 230V, keep that in mind. The get the 2000W, we need less than 9 Amps.
>>
>>1088734
Sweden
>>
File: 1479657626003.jpg (76KB, 453x604px) Image search: [Google]
1479657626003.jpg
76KB, 453x604px
>>1088738
So you need european wire gauges, due to our much higer voltage, less amps are neddet for the same power (watts)
I got an electrical bbq for indoor use with 2200W. The wire is 0,75mm2 but it gets warm at longer use.
1,0mm2 for 2000W @ 230V will be ok, 0,75mm2 will work, too.
>>
>>1088758
>neddet

needed. soory, my angelsächsisch is not too good. sage because ot
>>
>>1088326
/diy/
>why do it yourself when you can buy it?
>>
File: CEE7-17.jpg (73KB, 1024x600px) Image search: [Google]
CEE7-17.jpg
73KB, 1024x600px
>>1088719
The europlug is really rated that low. Unless you actually mean pic related, which is not a europlug (and rated for up to 16A), you are techically overloading the plug by 250%
>>
File: IMG_20161124_153813.jpg (811KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161124_153813.jpg
811KB, 1600x1200px
>>1088896
Are you trolling me? What is THAT plug then? Because that looks exactly like a europlug. Pic related this is what I use, which I assume is a europlug.
>>
File: CEE7-16.jpg (100KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
CEE7-16.jpg
100KB, 1024x576px
>>1088906
europlug is the flat one
>>
>>1088719
If you can hold it comfortably in your hand then its fine. I wouldn't go to sleep with it on though.
16h is pretty solid but don't get complacent, what you have might be in theory technically ok but in practice nobody knows how well you put this thing together.
If you have old bottles that you can fill with water or clay bricks would be ideal consider putting them near the heater (not too close) as thermal mass to radiate heat if you need to switch it off.
I sympathise with you op last year i found myself with a few unexpected bills to pay that left me with literally no money for a few days. After turning the couch inside out for pennies on day two it got tough.
>>
>>1088908
UK here just to say eu is bullshit and so are your plugs. We went through the pretense of harmonising with eu electrical regs and what was the outcome? We pretended to change our line voltage and we actually changed the colours of our cables to confuse colour blind people. Great fucking job. The fact that France and Germany who both have essentially the same fucking plug and socket can't even agree on a standard pretty much shows the eu for what it is, all hat and no fucking cattle.
That's your standard, a fucking two prong plug with pins that are made to be so shit that they bend to fit different sockets. Absolute cretinism.
>>
>>1088966
now that your backwards ass country as left the eu i can say that the european union standard is schuko compatible everywhere, dumbass
europlugs (small subset of schuko) are deprecated and only used by chink low power shit, and even then it will still fit on every european country, only in your lands do europeans need an adapter
have fun with you type g(ay) plugs and edisson screws

>bitting the hook felt kinda nice
>>
>>1089129
No it fucking isn't
There are about 15 different euro standards in different European countries which will only get worse when all your arab countries join. Fucking Australia in the Eurovision so don't be surprised when they get an invite too.
EU was a mistake just admit it lol.
Majority of bulbs are bayonet not screw
Type g I don't know what that is we use bs1363 here.
>>
File: DSC_0065.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0065.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>1088758
Huh interesting I'm learning a ton thx senpai!
Also what's with the pic? And why do I have a strange boner?
>>1088908
Okay so now I know our country use two plugs, europlug for low applications like lamps and shucko for everything heavier. Can't be that bad right?
>>1088962
Yeah I'm trying to taking every precautions I can to avoid dying horribly in a fire. For now I have a fire alarm over each heaters, a fire extinguisher between the heaters. And moved my bed for easier access to the front door.

Yeah... Being poor sucks mayor ass. Luckily I'm used to being poor from when I was an alcoholic, one becomes inventive and resourceful after the money has drained. But now is the first time it might actually become life threatening sense I can literary freeze to death.
>>
>>1089398
Nice tó know you have not died from freeze nor burnt to death, replace the wires for proper gauge asap.
>>
>>1089401
If I could have afforded better wire this thread would not have existed =')
>>
>>1089413
bitch it costs under 10 bucks, even a homeless beggar can get that much within an hour or two
>>
>>1089417
Have to fish and hunt at the moment just to eat so no. Rather die of cold and/or starvation then to sink myself to beggar level.
>>
>>1088962
I did the radiant heat thing last year for a few months. No heat and blankets weren't keeping me warm. The plastic bottles filled with hot water I filled my bed with every night weren't perfect, but at least I could get warm enough to fall asleep.
>>
>>1089398
Exactly how cold is it?
>>
>>1089398
>>1088908
There are also sockets where you can only fit in the flat europlug

For example trains smal ships use them so you can carge your phone
But you cant plug in a 2kw heater and overload the bordpower
>>
>>1089440
It's not falling a sleep that is the problem, the walls are shitty and practically none isolated, so the temperature is almost the same as outside.
>>1089455
From -10 to -21 and in midwinter it can go as low as -34
>>1089460
Yeah I have some shitty extenders that are both shucko and europlug. Never seen any europlugs in public doh (always shucko)
>>
UPDATE: It has been 4days now and the cable/s haven't burned yet. At 2000W and runtime of atleast 48h straight, the cables run hot but still able to touch them without any problem.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.