[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

3D Printers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

File: ZL32600-C-4-1.jpg (511KB, 1010x1010px) Image search: [Google]
ZL32600-C-4-1.jpg
511KB, 1010x1010px
From looking up every cheap 3d printer, the reprap variants seem to be the best bang for your buck.
Right now Im wondering if I should go cheap and get one I see for $175 or shell out $400. The latter would be a huge investment for me because Im a poor college student.
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Upgraded-Quality-High-Precision-Reprap-Prusa-i3-DIY-3d-Printer-USA-OB-/272039768516?hash=item3f56d571c4:g:FwgAAOSwUEVYEKul
>http://wanhaousa.com/products/duplicator-i3-steel-frame
Secondly should I assume since they have hotbeds and a good nozzle that they will take any filament I throw at them.
>>
>>1087981
If you're a college student, look into your school's engineering/tech labs. I'd find it hard to believe they don't have at least a few 3D printers. They'll likely be significantly higher resolution than what you can get for $400, and (if your school is anything like mine) all you need to pay for is the cost of materials.
>>
>>1088004
We dont have one. Its a liberal arts college with focuses in science but not engineering.
>>
>>1088007
That's unfortunate. Have you checked if there's a makerspace type thing in town? Those cheaper 3D printers are a bitch to work with. The resolution is typically awful, the nozzles clog like nobodies business, and the hotbeds are unreliable at best.

What are you intending to do with it? If you want to make little sculptures to sand down and paint, the cheap ones will be okay. If you're trying to use it for rapid prototyping or production parts (please don't do this), then you'll really want to use a higher quality machine.
>>
gay
>>
>>1088010
Well something cheap is better than nothing at all.
>>
>>1088010
Should add going by the build quality in vids Ive seen like this Id be pretty happy with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAsaRk26-Gc
>>
>>1088012
That's an awful logical fallacy.
>>
>>1088014
Its not a fallacy and Im not here to argue. If youd rather not have the capability of printing things then have something cheap that does it than thats your choice. But it would open up many doors for me.
>>
>>1088013
Wow, I'm cautiously impressed by the results from that thing. Cheapos have definitely improved in the last couple years. The reviewer does point out some print inconsistencies and annoying quirks, but if you can handle those then I guess it's not too bad.

Personally, I'd get fed up with it, but that's down to your discretion.

>>1088016
It is a fallacy for this reason: The upfront cost may be cheap compared to others, but the lifetime upkeep and value will be significantly lower. You may only spend $400 to get the machine, but the components are lower quality and will fail much sooner, leading to greater upkeep costs. Additionally, all the time spent fiddling with it to get acceptable prints will really add up. If you don't value your time that much (I guess it's not worth too much if you're an undergrad) then I suppose you could ignore that issue.

I'm sorry if I seem vehemently opposed; I'm really not. Just be sure to consider the true costs and decide if they fit into your expectations.
>>
>>1088019
>Cheapos have definitely improved in the last couple years.

No they havent, the RepRap community has been stagnant for like 3 years. now.
If you know what you are doing in terms of calibration and print settings, a cheap printer will put out the same print quality as a 2500$ Ultimaker or Makerbot.

>>1087981
Get the Wanhao if you need to pick between the two.
And they both have complete trash hotends that need replaced immediately.

Price in 40$ for a E3D Lite6 into both of them

Go to the 3d Printing General.
>>1075618
>>
>>1088019
Life time being lower only matters when you have the option to get something better. This is mainly for hobby now. Once I graduate I plan on getting things for a small workshop and having experience maintaining a printer will come in handy for buying a more expensive on later.

The duplicator version seems like the better choice though. The reviews Ive seen for the eby prusa were for the mk2 version which performs similar to the duplicator, but I cant tell if thats the one ebay is selling. probably not since reviews say the printer cost around $600. also its not assembled.
>>
>>1087981
>I that image
>The tilt
Holy shit.

Well, in any case, I built one exactly like your image from 3dprinteronlinestore or whatever. It's called 'electron' I think.

The bed was warped, so I had to buy glass. Whatever.

The extruder was skipping, so I bought a new extruder. Ok.

The bed limit switch terminal broke off. Now I'm getting mad.

The heating pad wires burnt up. Now I'm pissed.

All in all, it works. You have to learn to adjust your prints, but the quality was never terrible. Just not godlike. It's a matter of learning what worked and what didn't. Problem is that it's a money pit. I spent over the cost of the original unit in upgrades and repairs.
>>
>>1087981
this is considerably more expensive, but it's fucking amazing. This is the one I have and I love it.

http://www.boxzy.com/

It 3d prints, is a laser engraver, and does CNC.
>>
>>1088012
Eh. 3d printers are fickle beasts. You can usually, buy not always, fix a cheap one into working reliably and printing well. But you have to spend an awful lot of money and time to do that.
>>
>>1088007
It still might have one. I'm also at a liberal arts college. If they have a Physics/Chem department, they MOST certainly have a 3D printer. Although, getting them to let you use their $20000 3D printer might be tough
>>
>>1088534
No we do not have one unfortunately. We use the workshop for stuff.
>>
File: engineering-brick.jpg (25KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
engineering-brick.jpg
25KB, 400x400px
I have a delta style that cost me 200 from bangood
It worked awesome until I sold my computer without copying my ifrmware to my new computer. Now its no longer supported and I cant even find n old version that works so be careful. Im trying to write it myself but im not that good at it. So what Im tring to say is just be careful.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-25-19-11-33.png (274KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-25-19-11-33.png
274KB, 1440x2560px
>>1087981
I will recomendamos HICTOP DIY kits, for a little more money you will have a great 3D printer fully capable and upgradeable to dual struder or laser engraving in the future. Please add the girl on the picture to SKYPE and ask about the economical models. Tell she that you are refered from Jorge Gamboa. And she will give you the best possible price for a DIY Kit.
>>
>build your own
>~$250 in materials
>if you're not retarded, it will work after some fiddling
>learn how 3D printers work and not work in the process
>only thing I ever had to replace was the bed autolevel sensor, because I wanted to get a long-range one that works even through glass and I only bought a short-range one at first
>>
I purchased a Delta Rostock from amazon for just about $300 made by Anycubic. Easily out performs my other 4 Prusa I3s
>>
File: IMG_3298.jpg (404KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3298.jpg
404KB, 2448x3264px
All you fucking fools are wasting money on FDM. Just save a little longer, and bite the bullet on a SLA printer. MUCH BETTER print quality. Here is a bracket I just printed earlier on my Form 2. Notice how the holes are actually 1/8"? Notice how there arent fuck ups all over it?

FDM is for peasants, move up in the world.
>>
>>1091598
No one wants to shell out the needed money for sla. Its not worth it for most people either.
>>
>>1091612
I disagree, a FDM is pretty much useless. You cant make anything with it, that you cant make faster, and easier with other methods. Load bearing threads, nope. strong pins? nope. accurate holes? nope.

SLA is actually useful.
>>
>>1091638
The things you listed are irrelevant to the average person who 3d prints.
>>
>>1091598
>>1091638
>Storing liquid cancer in your home
>>
>>1091932
>storing cancer in your brain
literally the only excuse to own an FDM over SLA.
>>
>>1091976
>Literally more stupid than someone you accuse of having brain cancer
Jej
>>
>>1091598
>>1091976
>>1091638
meet our new troll
>>
>>1092312
Was anything I said actually wrong? You can disagree, and that's fine- but I'm not wrong. By the time you have a FDM printer set up properly you are going to be at least $500 in. If you save up a bit more you can get an SLA rig like a used Form 1 that is MUCH more useful.
>>
>>1091598
FDM prints are stronger and much more functional
>>
>>1092321
How are they more functional? Go ahead explain (as your parts delaminate at the first sign of deformation).
>>
File: smug cosplayer.png (230KB, 500x443px) Image search: [Google]
smug cosplayer.png
230KB, 500x443px
>>1091598
Are you buttmad that you spent ten times as much on a SLA only to print some shitty fifty cent brackets that still had twice the material cost compared to FDM? Print yourself a buttplug, shove it up your ass and kill yourself.
>>
>>1092362
>hes too poor to invest in a legitimate prototyping machine
sorry not everyone is as poor as you.
>>
>>1092363
Is you're so rich why don't you buy all off them? Fucking poorfag man
>>
>>1091598
At my end the Form 2 is £3,299 and Resin, which isn't shit for engineering applications, is £200 per Litre.

As I have no customers to pass the costs onto, I think I'll pass.
>>
>>1092438
why not build your own printer based on a DLP projector
the cost should be about £500 for a new 1080p projector and £500 or less for the mechanics/electronics
'fun to do' snow white resin is about £50/kg and decent quality, it also comes with free pigments so you can mix your own colours
>>
>>1092328
Delamination is an inherent 3d printer problem. Most Fdm plastic has a stronger bond than most SLA resins do.
This is common knowledge on the printing world...
>>
>>1092362
FDM is complete crap with that "qualitey".
No on had butthurt, just fdm retards...
>>
File: 26442864175_e269d8a5c6_o.jpg (4MB, 3072x2048px) Image search: [Google]
26442864175_e269d8a5c6_o.jpg
4MB, 3072x2048px
>>1091598
Now thats QUALITY mate. Im planing to make my own one. I got fdm, and it's suck way more than i expected. It's actually good only to make big parts for another printers.
>>
>>1092455
Exactly! Plus, unless you are using solid walls, instead of honeycomb or another filler material- when it fucks up on holes or whatever- you cant just drill it out because it will chew into the honeycomb. You have to literally mess with it until you make pin holes just oversized enough that they dont shrink closed.

Anyone that pretends like FDM is good for anything beyond basic non functioning prototypes- is a fool. You would be better off working in wood or another medium.
>>
>>1092444
But you can get an FDM for like 1/5 to 1/10th the cost. For MOST of us on /diy/ spending more than that on what amounts to essentially a toy is kind of pointless...

If an FDM can do ~80% of what I want to do for ~5-20% of the cost, it makes the most sense. It's not being a poorfag, it's just common sense.
>>
>>1092693
>If an FDM can do ~80% of what I want to do for ~5-20%
that's just bullshit a £50 FDM printer simply does not exist and a £200 one will never reach 80% of the quality obtained by a SLA machine

>spending more than that on what amounts to essentially a toy is kind of pointless...
>it makes the most sense. It's not being a poorfag, it's just common sense.
i also beg to differ on this one, exactly because it's a hobby/toy we don't need to justify the cost effectiveness
spending a grand or two on a toy that will give you hundreds of hours of fun is not pointless at all.

>It's not being a poorfag
Oh there's nothing wrong with going for cheaper options if you can't afford it.
but please don't dismiss SLA just because you only know of the shiny formlabs machines and my first suggestion for a printer that could rival them
if you are able to get a cheap DLP projector (used, lower resolution)
you can build a printer for less money than any FDM machine, this is a good example:
http://www.buildyourownsla.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2768
>>
So I recently picked up a 3d printer (da Vinci 2) simply because I could. Now I'm not sure what to do with it from here. Any suggestions?
>>
>>1092756
resell the drm'd piece of crap
>>
>>1092709
>http://www.buildyourownsla.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2768

5% is in reference to the manufactured ones, 20% is towards the DIY versions. I figured you'd be smart enough to figure that out but I guess I shouldn't assume...

>Nothing wrong with cheaper options if you can't afford it.
That's the thing though, I could comfortably afford to pick up a formlabs printer. The issue is that it's just not worth it to me. You seem to not be able to grasp that what people want might be different from what you want. I don't necessarily need the absolute sharpest resolution. I need something functional.

>you can build a printer for less money than any FDM machine
That's just not true. You and I both know that. It's easy to say "It's cheaper if you ignore the projector". You can get a mono price mini used for ~$160ish, $200 new. The monoprice model above that is $270 right now with their 15% off coupon. You're not getting an acceptable projector at that price, let alone a usable z axis.

At the end of the day, it's about what you want out of your printer. If you want accuracy at fine details, don't mind the cost of resin, can safely store the resin, then SLA is the way to go. If you want to inexpensively make demos/cases/mess around, FDM is the way to go.
>>
>>1092792

I should clarify that I mean you're not getting the projector at that price. Let alone a decent Z axis on top of that.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.