[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

air compressor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1238464.jpg (24KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
1238464.jpg
24KB, 300x400px
I've got an 80 gallon air compressor similar to pic related and something is messed up. I let it run and it doesn't fill up (gauge doesn't rise from 0). The motor definitely sounds different when it runs. I found the oil cap popped off and the cover for the air filter loose. What do you think? Normally I'd think it's the check valve but now the motor sounds different.
>>
>>1087949
Connecting rod is kill.
>>
>>1087954
Could it just be clogged?
>>
>>1087956
>>
>>1087954
It still spins
>>
>>1087949
disconnect the copper tube and put your finger over the hole (they look like compression so unscrew both nuts and take the tube off)

spin the flywheel a few times and there should be pressure
>>
>>1087959
That doesn't mean it's pumping air. I agree with >>1087993 . Check to see if it's actually pushing air.
>>
probably have a bad piston ring, or a bad valve. might wanna get that checked out
>>
Alright, I had some time to take it apart today. I put my hand over hole and spun the fly wheel and there was no suction or pressure. It's fucked.

Checked the mfg and apparently it's discontinued and there are no replacement motors or retrofit kits. Called Grainger and was told the same and that an equivalent motor (5hp 240v single phase) would cost just under $1000 + fabrication to get it to sit on the tank, then calibrating everything. They suggested at this point to get an entirely new air compressor unit and suggested at 60gallon for $1500.

Then I might have a friend willing to part with his.
>>
Shit, here's another embarrassing question: how do I know if I have a single stage or two stage pump? The documentation covers both types of pumps.

How do I identify the number of stages?
>>
So if you do happen to get rid of it, would you be willing to sell it? I need a large air tank for my project. However I'm in Alaska so it might be impossible
>>
>>1088151
2 stage usually has an intercooler between the stages.
>>
>>1088176
where in ak?
>>
>>1088176
Sorry man, I'm in Illinois.
>>1088182
The copper connecting the pistons right? It's a V shaped but the pistons look almost the same size. Could it be a dual piston single stage?
>>
>>1088185
Fairbanks

>>1088191
Damn,worth a shot
>>
I still think the connecting rod is kill. Leave the motor alone and take apart the compressor jug.
>>
So my compressor (80gallon 175psi) is powering a pneumatic door and some 40psi applications.

How should I set the cut-in cut-out controller for the pump to kick on and refill the tank? Should there be a huge differential and let the pump run longer, or should their be a smaller differential and let the pump run for a shorter time but more frequently? What would be the most efficient way to run this compressor?
>>
>>1088508
Probably long run because it would be less annoying having it go every 2-3 times the door opens even for 5 seconds and probably more efficient because of fewer startups which take time to spin the rotor up to speed. Maybe like 10-15 psi above the highest requirement should be the kick on point
>>
>>1087949
if motor spins fine but no air compression then compressor head is fucked and motor is fine
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.