[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

want to make a smelter for my own steel for small items like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: AlseyFB.jpg (58KB, 600x463px) Image search: [Google]
AlseyFB.jpg
58KB, 600x463px
want to make a smelter for my own steel for small items like knife blades etc

I have 200 lbs of black sand someone who had a gold claim let me have, 50 or so firebrick, a huge bag of cooking charcoal, and a leaf blower for force air
>>
>>1087584
also the black sand has some gold telluride left in it so its actually going to make gold too
>>
>>1087584
Are you asking a question or just blogging?
>>
>>1087590this is DIY, there must be someone here whos done just what Im planning
>>
>>1087597
Sort of. That's why I was asking if you had any questions.

Anyway.

Check out http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/faq.html to get started.
>>
WHOEVER SMELT IT DEALT IT
>>
>>1087584
> make a smelter for my own steel for small items like knife blades

I am inclined to say anyone who is at the level of smelting their own steels for knife blades is going to already know exactly the equipment and tools needed.

How much prior experience in bladesmithing, in working with wrought, and in metallurgical composition do you already have?

if the answer is none, then what you're asking is pretty much the equivalent of saying "I have 4 tyres and a roll of carbonfibre, how do I win Le Mans?"
>>
>>1087690
Well. If OP can come up with quality steel and a propane burner u good 2 go. Just need shit like old hammers or railroad ties.

Yall reckon cutting edges from graders and loaders are good? I have access to litteral tons.
>>
>>1087937
> If OP can come up with quality steel and a propane burner u good 2 go. Just need shit like old hammers or railroad ties.

I dont think you know what smelting is.

Smelting at least on a small workshop scale is the process of taking iron ore, heating it, usually in a tuyere or bloomery kiln, with addition of charcoal, to extract the iron from the ore.

that is then tapped, removing slag, and then cosolodated from a spongiform mass, a bloom, into a wrought billet.
wrought billets are then carburised in a fining smelt, to make steel.

simply using some scrap steel is not smelting.
>>
>>1087950

Well yeah. I meant op could beat on shit like that forged in fire tv show.

Hes not smelting shit hardly if at all.
>>
>>1087690

OP here

Understand forging pretty well, plus I worked with a guy to make steel from charcoal and "bog iron". That was a lot of work, had to add flux to it to help the steel .

I reason that it would be easier with higher quality ore like magnetite rather than hematite.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.