[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career in Logistics or Welding?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: 147965882663.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
147965882663.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I just graduated with a bachelors degree in University (General) Studies. I currently work in a warehouse(2 years, part time) as an order selector, but I was thinking of taking up welding. My community college offers classes, but all of them are filled except for one (TIG), which I can take in the morning or evening. I feel like I can actually learn MIG and stick from people who have learned the art.

A position opened up in the warehouse to work in the morning from 7-4, so it could give me the chance to make money while taking the class at the same time. They also provide logistics classes, mostly in the evening and some on Saturday.

Should I stick to working in a warehouse? Or should I start to learn welding?

I feel the degree would help me move up faster, but I'm willing to work with everyone else to learn as much as I can about either job before telling others how to do their job.
>>
Here are the questions to ask:

Do you like welding, like the physical process of welding?

Are you willing to do that for 8-12 hours a day, depending on the type of job you earn after the school, and the apprenticeship. Possibly welding the same kinds of things repeatedly.

Are you willing to learn multiple kinds of welding or be stuck in one type of welding for the rest of your days?

Where do you expect your warehouse job to take you in 5 years, 10 years, if you take the class and stick with it?

Where do you expect the welding school, apprenticeship, and job to take you in 5 and 10 years?

If you really like welding, then by all means, but don't let others meme you into something you just find interesting.

Stick with what you like/are good at, can always pick up welding as a hobby.
>>
>>1087123
Dont give up on your bachelors already you fag
>>
>>1087123
Apply for TIG class right now. It's the GOAT welding process.

>>1087145
nigga can't you read
>>
Welding broadens what you can do and gives a tactile concept of metal you'd not get otherwise except in machining. Welding is a great /diy/ skill to have and so versatile that it augments many jobs.

Do it. Study welding as a career and haunt Weldingweb and the Miller forums for info. You can learn a lot, very quickly, by dedicated study beyond the curriculum.

You can't weld if you cannot see well at welding ranges. Have current eye exam. I get two prescriptions when I have my eyes checked, and one is for working at welding ranges i.e. about two feet.
>>
For someone with a degree, welding would be a poor career choice. It's not good for your health, and it's monotonous.
Welding can be fun and rewarding and even make a temporary nice job. Don't make a career of it if you have a good mind.
The rewarding construction could turn to the horror of a persistant cough and daily cleaning black crap from your sinuses.
>>
>>1087128

Like>1087123 mentions~ >>Do you like welding, like the physical process of welding?

If this is yes, then learn to oxy-acetylene weld, and stick welding.

From there, TiG and MiG/Wire feed will seem like easy mode.

TiG is almost cheating, it's so wonderfully easy and flexible. Any time a cracked Inconel or Waspaloy exhaust manifold came in, I was assured of hours of people leaving me the fuck alone to work some magic, while I made both the boss and myself happy stitching up the cracks.
>>
>>1087167
>nigga can't you read

Yeah, hes working part time in a factory when he should be qualified to be doing something else.
Doing a welding course may move him up in his current job, but he probably shouldnt even be in his current job.

Any job that utilizes a welding certificate from a community college would have taken him in without a real bachelors.
He is underselling himself, and his actual degree will be rendered useless.

He is essentially giving up on 4 years of schooling
>>
>>1087200
I'm currently getting paid 17-20, which is based on production, I just don't want to be an order selector because it's a night shift job

I have no actual skills with the degree because I was exposed to everything, but I never went in too deep on any of the subjects, which is why I'm having problems in searching for a job
>>
>>1087219
>A position opened up in the warehouse to work in the morning from 7-4, so it could give me the chance to make money while taking the class at the same time. They also provide logistics classes, mostly in the evening and some on Saturday.

So take the morning shift, and pick a class.
>>
>>1087200
I have a bachelor's degree and I still became a welder and it's by far the best decision I've taken in my whole life.
>>
>>1087280
Is there any guidance you can give me? At this rate, I'll have to wait for a while to take the classes because of priority students
>>
>>1087286
Up to a point because it's different for everybody and can vary a lot depending on the location. Here in Quebeckistan welding school is a pretty standard school program where you go full time for a year or a year and a half and you study and practice everything ranging from metallurgy to reading plans and all the common processes. From what I understand it's quite different from classes in american community colleges.

I say at least try the TIG class, it's not easy but it's as cool as welding can get and you'll see right away if you like spending time under the hood.

I'm happy to answer any questions you would have about the trade and welding in general though.
>>
>>1087287
Can we email? I'm in need of more information
Melissatemp42 yahoo com
My throwaway email kek
>>
>>1087295
What do you want to know exactly?
We have a welding general on /diy/ that's always a bit slow because we don't have much to talk about so I'm pretty sure everybody would be happy to pitch in

>>1085799
>>
>>1087296
Ok cool thanks
>>
>>1087295
>Can we email?
dafuk? lurk moar

>I'm in need of more information
Disclamer:I spent years in a medium size job shop. I can weld, but I'm no welder. I was more of a bidder, planner, job foreman and fitter. I don't have a comprehensive view of "welder" but I worked with 'em and my viewpoint is limited to that shop. I'm also a bit drunk.

Pros:
Very rewarding seeing a completed job being loaded on a truck.
Let me list this twice, cause, well, it deserves it.
Very rewarding seeing a completed job being loaded on a truck.
Time not micromanaged. Bit of freedom with methods. It's like, here's the job, you'll be judged on results.
Status - "Im a welder, I helped build that". kinda powerful feeling.

Cons:
Working with simple people Like laborers, painters, ect.
Health risks (eyes,lungs, back, ect.)
Repetitious work

Neutral:
Requires a strong back for structral stuff, Math and Trig for more technical stuff.
Doesn't require a lot of intelligence.

>Melissatemp42 yahoo com
WTF. Dyke?
>kek
Dyke + /pol/? or just attention whore? Yea, welder might be just right for you.

Sorry if I got it wrong.
>>
>>1087344
Nah my nigga, I'll take a shot with you because this is getting to me.

I see kek in many of the other boards, not just /pol/
>>
>>1087123
The reason why welders are paid so much is because they go blind by 50 and have massive amounts of heavymetal exposure leading to all kinds of mental&health issues.
Go read about cornea burn and heavymetal exposure, along with toxic fumes and vapor ingestion.

The only welding job really worth it is underwater TIG, but even that is fucked when someone pops the hatch inside on accidentand you get sucked thru a 8"x8" hole in the hull
>>
>>1087493
I've looked up the health hazards for the job and they say as long as you properly use the safety equipment, other than the flashes you randomly get, nothing major happens

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?204111-what-are-long-term-effects-of-welding-on-eyes

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?230-What-Has-Welding-Done-To-Your-Health
>>
>>1087499
>I've looked up the health hazards for the job and they say as long as you properly use the safety equipment, other than the flashes you randomly get, nothing major happens
Using an auto-dark still lets in 1/1000ths of a second of full go-blind power light.

After 8-12 hrs a day of that for 261 days a year, just what does that equilivate to as if you weren't wearing the helmet?
>you gonna go blind
>your corneas gonna burn every weekend
>vaporized metal doesn't decompose by metabolic processes
>>
>>1087184
>From there, TiG and MiG/Wire feed will seem like easy mode.
Not sure about TiG, at least on aluminum that shit's hard, but I can confirm that after learning on stick MiG seems like a fucking joke in comparison
>>
>>1087200
He gave up when he when spent 4 years getting a general studies degree.
>>
Lot of people implying a 4 year general studies degree is worth anything...

The logistics job will move you up a ladder through management if you're a go getter and kissass.

The welding job will get you a steady pay increase overtime if your skill improves, but as your skill improves finding a job will be harder.

Long term, logistics is a required department for large companies so over time it may be easier to find places to work.
>>
>>1087693
Pretty much this, I feel bad and like an idiot when I could've just done a trade in two years.

>>1087833
So you recommend I stay in the warehouse?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.