[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY bike lock

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (72KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 1024x768px
After doing some research, I've realised that there is not a single bike lock out there that is thicker than a bolt cutters spread. I want to make my own lock, one that is incredibly thick and large. I have absolutely no idea how to do this. Any advice? Has anyone done something like this before?

>pic unrelated
>>
>>1086877
Considering there are bolt cutters that can open up to about 6 inches across I think you have already lost the arms race in that area. Just get a good quality lock and chain.
>>
>>1086877
why?

almost in no circumstances that is the best solution, there must be other options to do what you want
>>
Bolt cutters cannot cut through many U locks. The higher quality ones are very thick and made of steel as hard as a bolt cutter's teeth. You cannot make one better than these.

None can withstand a grinder, true, but that is very much beside the point.
>>
>>1086880
All I want is a bike lock that can't be cut by bolt cutters. There isn't a single one existence as far as I know. I figure the biggest problem with bike locks and chains is that they are too thin, allowing the bolt cutter blades to easily go over them. If a lock was so thick that bolt cutters weren't able to spread wide enough to snap it off, then my bike should be safe. I honestly think this is a solution has some merit.
>>
>>1086883
Could you name a few so I can look them up?
>>
>>1086885
all locks can be defeated by a bigger tool

you just have to make it last more than 10 minutes until the thief gives up and move on to another target or until he gets any attention

pretty sure there are locks and chains made specfically with this in mind for people exactly like you

>>1086883 is right, just get high quality ones
>>
>>1086883

You could probably make some kind of composite material which would reliably shatter grinding discs, maybe resin with chunks of carbide in it? Put that in an outer shell of steel.
>>
>>1086877
they don't have to be thicker, they just have to be harder than the cutter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S4gwYHZ6E8

>All I want is a bike lock that can't be cut by bolt cutters.
if someone wants a bike bad enough they'll use something else to try to cut it, cut the bike, or cut whatever it is secured to

get a good lock such as: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Hardware-Hardened-Security-Shackle/dp/B001V5IYSS

and get a good security chain
>>
>>1086886
I use an Onguard Brute. No bolt cutters are chopping through these, and even if you do make it through one side of the shackle, you need to get the other side as well to free the bicycle.

There are other brands like Abus and Kryptonite which are for all intents immune to bolt cutter attack.

>>1086890
You really can't, because materials that are too hard to grind are easy shattered.
>>
>>1086893
just wait until someone invents some spider silk fibre that will melt into a non newtonian fluid upon friction and lubricate the surface enough for some carbon fibre inside to withstand a constant spinning grinding disc
>>
>>1086893

I don't mean that you would make the stuff hard, I meant that you could make it so it puts an awkward load on the discs.
>>
>>1086895
what if he has a spare disc?

what if he has 2 spare discs?
>>
>>1086895
After the grinder gets through the steel casing and encounters the carbide/resin matrix the nigger can set the grinder aside and give the lock a sharp kick to finish the job. Or smack it with a hammer. Or just let it crumble from not being able to hold its own weight.
>>
>>1086902
Or 3?
>>
It's truly a sad sad world we live in, where we are able to construct amazing things such as large ships, skyscrapers, and space shuttles, but we're yet to find a solution to bike theft :'(
>>
>>1086902
>spare disc

put in extra lock and chain

>2

put in 2 extras

>3

put in 3

you just have to out number the total grinding disc the thief has

also lock the wheels, lock the transmission, etc
>>
>>1086907
top 0.00001% is not representative of the whole

in fact, they are precisely that the whole isn't
>>
>>1086902

Well then you hope he was an idiot and the first disc hit him in an artery or his face.
>>
>>1086877
>incredibly thick and large
It'll be very heavy and will be shit to cycle with.

Just get a normal U lock and use it on a cheap bike.
>>
>>1086922
I 2nd this, as a bike tech in a very urban area. If you live in a city or on a college campus your best bet is to buy a Walmart bike or some pos off Craigslist for $25 and spend $125 getting it rebuilt at a bike shop. It'll do work for you, but doesn't look like much. Replace shitty deraileurs as needed with mid grade parts that hold adjustment better but aren't worth much. Replace brake levers with something mid grade from a generic company so they don't have Shimano or SRAM painted on them. Don't worry about the brake calipers, especially linear-pull. $12 linear-pull brake calipers work 90% as well as $120 linear-oil break calipers. Take your front wheel and seat with you when you leave your bike for more than 10 minutes. Also, buy some Hannah Montana stickers on your way out of the grocery store and slap them all over it.
>>
Just get something like this
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.