[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who /cnc/ here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_20161026_170713.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161026_170713.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Figured this would be the best place for this thread, not exactly DIY though.

I got a new job recently, where I was expecting to do marine electrical work, but the owner of the company heard that I used to run a few different cnc machines and wants me to learn how to run pic related, made in 1998.

Cast iron frame 3 axis router, 8 magazine auto tool changer, pneumatically stabilized spindle, vac table, made in 1998. 7" CRT display.

Far beyond what I used to run (8 foot by 8 foot plasma cutter table, 1 foot by 1 foot desktop mill, 3d printers, etc.).

I'm fishing for good advice and resources on learning how to control this thing.

My biggest fear is the zero point getting out of whack/tool calibrations, resulting in a head crash.

Machine will be used to cut foam core and solid carbon fiber pieces for boat building (Using an extremely interesting diamond bit).

Company uses Rhino and a custom cable to drip feed the machine, since it is so old. Apparently it was being run off of an ancient 8086 or something similar until recently.
>>
File: IMG_20161026_170808.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161026_170808.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1086620
>>
File: IMG_20161026_171011.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161026_171011.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1086622
>>
>>1086620
>3 axis router

first, CNC routers don't normally have super tight positioning tolerances. second, FANUC control is a FANUC control. as long as you are good with the CAM software (i've never used rhino) you should be okay.

is it a custom post processor or just a generic router one?

i pray you have the manual somewhere.
>>
>>1086628
I've never used rhino either, though I'm happy to learn. Mostly used to Inventor. First time I've heard of FANUC as well.

No idea about post processor, I have not even had the chance to start it up and run through basic tool change commands.

I've got 4 huge binders full of manuals, but a lot of it doesn't seem to apply anymore since rhino is being used to feed the controller. I've read through them but I don't think I will get comfortable until I have a bit of experience running it.

All I've been told is that rhino will handle the tool paths and cutting speed, it seems it is up to the controller (And me) to input the correct tool profiles, length, kerf width, etc.

Pretty neat machine, apparently the key is used to lock and unlock the onboard memory for tool settings so nobody can save changes without the key.
>>
>>1086635
To add to that, the guy that used to run it quit right before I was hired, taking the desktop with all the software they used with him, which is why I have not had a chance to toy with it yet. They are currently buying another license for the software, so I get the feeling I'll have to a lot of configuring myself.
>>
>>1086620
>1998

And you are positive it works?

I'm surprised the caps haven't all evaporated yet
>>
It will be a bit different, but Brian Oltrogge has a couple of rhino tutorial videos on YouTube and he uses that exclusively for his cnc
>>
>>1086797
>And you are positive it works?
it might surprise you to know that a shit ton of machine tools are still in operation.

these things are purposely over engineered.
>>
>>1086800
I run a cnc lathe from the 50s that uses vacuum tubes so trust me, I know old shit works, but in the 80s and 90s electrolytic capacitors were still very new technology and now we know how awful they are for longevity

The issue is, the constant heating up and cooling down of it causes hydrodyzing of the casing and soon the fluid inside dries up or it will blow up catastrophically

Problem is, they will often still read as correct capacitance after starting to dry, but they have such great resistance that they throw the whole circuit out of whack
>>
>>1086797
>>1086802

Yes, it was running fine last month from what I've been told. Kinda want to look into how they built the custom cable to interface it with a modern desktop.

The 7 inch amber CRT is pretty neat, I'll probably pop the panel open and check for any bulging caps next week.

>>1086798
Neat, I'll check it out.
>>
>>1086811
>Kinda want to look into how they built the custom cable to interface it with a modern desktop.
Rs-232 card or USB adapter.
>>
>>1086620
>>1086622
>>1086623
Is this in Adelanto, CA?
>>
>>1086802
>but in the 80s and 90s electrolytic capacitors were still very new technology and now we know how awful they are for longevity

its a FANUC. they are known for being the most reliable controls on the market.
>>
>>1086837
Nope, I'm in WA.
>>
>>1086620
How much do you get paid? I was planning on becoming a cnc operator or cnc programmer. Which would be good to start off in? I am somewhat familiar in programming for computers, so I'm not sure if it's the same thing.
>>
>>1086839
So Fanuc has magical non drying capacitors?
>>
File: sd3893.jpg (226KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
sd3893.jpg
226KB, 1600x1066px
>>1086944
At least on some boards, like in pic related.
Non-drying electrolytic capacitors have existed over half a century.
>>
>>1086955
I only see ceramic and metallized film capacitors there

I see no electrolytic capacitors there
>>
>>1086857
An operator (button pusher) 10-16, setup or programmer more based on xp.
>>
>>1087131
never seen a stud diode mounted on a pcb
>>1086955
the silver 35v one is an old electrolytic
>>
>>1086620
>My biggest fear is the zero point getting out of whack/tool calibrations, resulting in a head crash.

That's why you "single block" each step at low speed and feed to test while holding your hand over the E-stop. Proper practice on most CNC and all win.

Never just program and open fire.
>>
File: cap3.gif (10KB, 400x176px) Image search: [Google]
cap3.gif
10KB, 400x176px
>>1087157
Looks like a metal foil capacitor to me
>>
>>1086620
I've worked on those old fanuc cnc controllers. Absolute nightmare, there's like over 9000 cards and shit, wanted to add 4th axis and supposedly it supported it but man it was like fucking a porky pine trying to figure it out.

Ended up selling it and converted a Bridgeport to cnc myself.
>>
>>1087199
Have you tried removing the quills before fucking it?
>>
>>1087215
Aint nobody got time for that shit.
>>
>>1087142
I have no actual skills with the degree because I was exposed to everything, but I never went in too deep on any of the subjects, which is why I'm having problems
>>
>>1086620
You want to talk to a friendly and helpful guy that does nothing but makes cool shit on CNC and plasmas cutters all day?
Boy have I got you covered, my best friend is a CNC machinist that makes cosplay props in his free time and would LOVE to have someone to talk to or to help out learning how to use CNC equipment.
Message him on tumblr (biodude18.tumblr.com) and he can answer basically any question you might have, tell him "shaw-man" sent you.
Pic related is just one of the things he's made.
>>
>>1087245
Why'd you scratch it?

Anodize that shit now. You can clear anodize if you want the color not to change but you best be anodizing it.
>>
>>1087248
I don't think you read my post.
Plus he's already done that, this is an old project.
>>
File: tant.jpg (18KB, 770x350px) Image search: [Google]
tant.jpg
18KB, 770x350px
>>1087170
>>1087131
The silver one is a wet tantalum electrolytic capacitor. The better grades are hermetically (glass-metal) sealed and it looks like one of those.
There are also both tantalum and aluminum electrolytic capacitors with solid electrolyte. They won't dry either.
>>
>>1087165
>running my machine
>everything going like butter
>hear eardrum shattering bang
>FNG on machine across the aisle crashed a 3.5 inch boring bar into a block at 25 inches a minute
>$3000 tool
I just want to go home and eat my goddamn turkey
>>
>>1087245
... He really likes Berserk, doesn't he?
>>
>>1088741
>FNG (Me) rapids the 20" diamond wheel into a $20,000 part
My trainer must have nerves of steel
>>
>>1088744
Yikes.
I'm glad I work in small components.
A guy was laying down a block for a Maserati carbon fiber hood, used the wrong kind of eye bolts. Two snapped, and a massive block wound up unsalvagably fucked.
The biggest parts I handle are like a ton.
>>
>>1088756
Biggest parts I work on are like 30" dia. and weigh about 800 lbs with fixturing. I work in Optics.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.