[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best and cheapest way to artificially rust metal?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 2

File: 17i1rzscx5u04jpg.jpg (54KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
17i1rzscx5u04jpg.jpg
54KB, 636x358px
What's the best and cheapest way to artificially rust metal?
>>
>>1085389
>best
>cheap
pick one, not both
>>
Saltwater and a fish tank air pump.
>>
>>1085389
>Best
Hydrogen peroxide
>Cheapest
Some months in your garden
>>
>>1085389
Why?

Some steels are a lot easier to rust.
>>
Vinegar works pretty well. What kind of metal are you trying to rust?
>>
Toilet cleaner
>>
>Move to the tropics.

>leave it outside

>come back tomorrow

Its great when you have a brand new tool that you take out of its case and put on your desk and come back 6 hours later to see rust in the form of your finger prints
>>
>>1085389
expose it to hydrochloric acid vapors

$6/gallon muriatic acid
>>
>>1085389
Dip them in tomato sauce
Let it dry
Instsntant artificial rust
>>
>>1085391
This. As someone that used to work in the oil field i can tell u. Salt water will fuck shit up in a bad way fast.
>>
>>1085410
I find better results with hot dog chilli, but to each his own I guess.
>>
Put it in a can or jar full of salt water and use a battery or power supply to make it electrolyze as the anode. Give it like 20 minutes.
>>
if its has to go real fast, i saw once on tv were they made some metal look rusty, they actual covered it with some paste which looked like metal flakes and some liquids and this shit was completely rusted in a few hours
>>
>>1085389
>>1085453
If you do it right, this will actually work pretty well. Figure out what kind of metal it is and do some basic chemistry. You're building a hoborig reverse electroplating apparatus. Normally you'd use one to anodize something with metal ions, like silver, copper, or gold plated jewelry. At a minimum you can remove the protective layer and then stick your stripped metal in the rain for a few days.
>>
>>1085389
>artificially
rust colored paint
>>
>>1085389
why has nobody said bleach yet?

Just spray them lightly with bleach, they will be fully rusted in a matter of hours.

>sodium ions
>chloride ions
>in the form of an oxidizer

gonna rust the fuck out of ferrous metals.
>>
>>1085512
this, but laymans terms...

connect the steel you ant to rust to the negative terminal of a 12v car battery, or something putting around 12v 1A output

immerse in salted water, tablespoon of salt to 1L or something, I dunno, were being laymen here..

connect wire to the positive side and dip it in

watch it start to bubble brown

>rusty
>>
>>1085753
I'm going to try that
>>
>>1085398
I'm working on a post-apocalyptic costume, that's why
>>
>>1085400
Umm....
Vinegar is popular in the bmx hobby to REMOVE rust from frames.
>>
>>1085389
just fuck up the finish and leave it outside.
After I remove millscale steel will rust here overngiht.

Also I got brakefluid on some shit and now it wont stop rusting, idk if the two are related or not.
>>
>>1085389
Nitric acid
>>
>>1085453
Works great. I've done it for making rust for thermite before.
>>
>>1085389
>asks how to age metal
>doesn't say what kind of metal

Good job, OP.

I've had a lot of luck with ammonia to age metals, but if you don't know what kind of metal I don't know how to help you.
>>
>>1085389
Sand it then piss.
>>
>>1085389
Saltwater.
>>
>>1085389
U making some thermite?
>>
if it is steel than 50% vinegar, 50% hydrogen peroxide and some salt, you can see it rust before your eyes.
>>
>>1085389
H2SO4
>>
>>1085389
salty water vapor
>>
>>1085389
artificially leave it outside
>>
>>1085389
at my old job as a mechanic some of the guys used transmission oil to break off the rust.

how about WD-40 and sand paper?
>>
>>1085389
>get old car battery
>attach positive lead to item desired to be rusted
>bury that item
>attach the negative lead to steel steak
>jam the steak in the ground somewhere near the buried item
>attached leads to battery
>wait

in maybe a week you can cause decent corrosion/oxidation to most metals.
>>
>>1088288
Top keg
>>
>>1085406
I'm going to college in fucking Chicago and all my tools rusted between now and August.
>>
pickle that jewelers use to clean non ferrous metals, rusts the chit outta Ferrous metals like steel and iron tho, buts its gotta be hot, like in a crock pot. ps its acid
>>
Cheap way is to rub it with salt and sandpaper. After that rub it with beer.
>>
>>1087530
FeO4? How do you separate it from the 'O3?
>>
>>1088841
Fire
>>
>>1085393
this hydrogen peroxide is really fucking fast and controllable
>>
Heat and humidity. Heat as in a propane torch. Heat that thing cherry red, mist it with water as it cools, it will rust in no time.
>>
>>1085389
Piss on it
>>
>>1085389
Apple cider vinegar apply it to the metal.
>>
>>1089337
would that not do the opposite?
>>
>>1089338
Acid reacts with metal to form a salt plus hydrogen. Rust is oxygen combining with Iron to form Iron Oxide. Very different things.
>>
>>1089338
Will rust the metal, believe me. Add some (spray or soak cloth) then keep it overnite within a room or large enough container and the fumes will do the work.
>>
>>1085389
Don't listen to these retards. Electrolysis bro, rusts shit in a few minutes, cakes it in rust in a few hours.
>>
>>1089414
Wouldn't that just cover it with rust rather than actually turning it to rust?
>>
Bury it for a week or two
>>
piss on it
>>
>>1085389
Throw it in a fire.
>>
Any acid plus heat. Stronger acid is faster.
>>
>>1085887
Lmao your making thermite for sure, thats the oldest excuse in the book.
>>
>>1085866
>12V
Why so low? Connect it to a full bridge rectifier and hook it up to mains. Make sure you put enough salt in the water and get anode and cathode really close together. Rusted tool in 2 minutes.
>>
>>1089820
because you want current, not voltage.
also OP might want to live to use this costume.
>>
>>1085389

Vinegar and peroxide

Chandler Dickinson is a YouTube guy who made a pretty good video on forcing rust, I would suggest watching it.
>>
>>1085409
this, but if it has zinc or nickel plating give it a good soak in it beforehand until the bubbling stops
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.