[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Professional help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0772.jpg (140KB, 283x424px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0772.jpg
140KB, 283x424px
If you have professional experience doing something in the trades, post your qualifications here. If anyone has questions pertaining to your experience, answer them.

I've worked in Cabinetry, Carpentry, Luthiery (building stringed instruments), Blacksmithing and doing HVAC install.
>>
I've been pretending to be a machinist for five years (and getting paid for it!). I can give some sick pro-tips on how to make some breddy gud polarizer cells if you're into optics and shit
>>
Plumber/fitter here
>>
>>1085256
did construction for a while and then some mechanic work before i went and got an engineering degree.
>>
Welder here, did some blacksmithing a while back.
Apart from that jack of most trades.
>>
Been doing maintenance work on mobile homes basically my whole life. Mostly plumbing, but some electrical and carpentry as well. No actual certifications or licenses or whatever though.

My dad (the owner of the mobile homes I work on) keeps trying to talk me into starting my own plumbing business, because I'm apparently pretty okay at it. The problem is that I fucking hate the work.
>>
>>1085256
Cool thread/10.

>built a few houses
>made large (up to 36") pvc fittings
>pipelined (also pvc)
>pulled wells
>operate a large track hoe, shovel, loader, skid loader, rock crushing plant
>had a company blasting liscense to handle dynamite on site
>worked at walmart
>worked at arby's
>worked at pizza hut
>worked in a grocery store carrying out
>worked in an oil field pumo repair / tire shop
>worked driving a faggot van for faggots driving faggot train conductors with a faggot dick up their ass.

Not real sure what else.

Used to move around a lot when I was single. Didnt give af fuck what went on. Had about a 6 month or 1 year savings account and job hopped all over until i found descent paying jobs where the bosses werent cunts. I got lucky and had a lot of friends and worked my ass off when i had a job.

I'm on year 3 here and although i have had like 39 jobs ill retire here.
>>
>>1085335
Lol. So pay some mexicants to do it while u point.
>>
>>1085256
Finish carpenter/joiner and a Printmaker.
>>
im currently a machinist, have worked as a maintenance mechanic, auto mechanic, welder/fabricator, residential builder, some plumbing and electrical experience, and worked on a farm while i was in school and still do occasionally...
>>
Maritime technician reporting in. Can assist with:
Radars
Autopilots
Chart plotters (including IMO approved ENC)
Echosounders/sonars
NMEA2000 and regular CAN bus
VHF, MF/HF, and satellite based communication

...but i suspect /diy/ need other skills, as i rarely see ship-related threads here.
>>
>>1085440
Part of the problem is that pretty much all of the tenants are hispanic. There's a couple big chicken processing places and factories nearby, so we get all the laborers that can't stay in town for one reason or another.

Lately we've been working on a septic tank. These people can't seem to understand that you're not supposed to pour grease (by the gallon from the way things are looking) down the sink. Shits stopped up from one end to the other. I'm thinking the whole thing was pointless, because it looks like part of the tank caved in. We'll have to get the trailer moved to an empty lot.
>>
I'm a materials engineer, typical questions I get:
>how do we make our steel/aluminum/anything stronger/cheaper/lighter/harder?
>if I put this material in this environment how long before it turns to green goo?
>why did this break?
>can you make me an ultrahigh purity X?
>why is our product so bad?
>why do we still use "plain" steel for stuff instead of "stainless"?
>why do all of our rare earths come from China?
>why did ford make an aluminum truck?
And on and on and on. It's a good time. I also build electric vehicles from scratch, do cool chemistry syntheses, and working on a liquid rocket motor for a larger project.
>>
Systems Admin for a Law Firm
Web Developer for Mental Institution
Gamestop
and pretending to be a Radio Frequency Engineer for 2 years.
>>
Solar thermal contractor reporting in
>>
Camera and security system install
Some it
General security both physical and cyber
If anybody needs help in those realms
>>
File: 20160719_151056.jpg (533KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160719_151056.jpg
533KB, 2048x1152px
>>1085256
Architectural drafting - 5 years experience

Kitchen and bath remodeling - 10 years

Tube guitar amp building/repair, lutherie - 20 years as a hobby, professionally for the last 6. Pic related, refretting a 1965 Stratocaster.
>>
Physical chemist.
Occasional forensics lab technician.
Work as a measuring instrument calibration technician for about 3 years now.
Car mechanic as hobby.
Side job amplifier repair.
>>
>>1085318
Looking to get a arc/tig welder. In Europe.
There are any better alternatives?
>>
>>1085458
Printmaker? What it is?
>>
>Run landscaping business
>while working at the family hotel as maintenance
>while trying to start a fishing busines
>while being on the directorate of an NGO looking to save the reef

Best thing to ask me would be any stress management questions i guess

Ask me how i manage stress
>>
>>1085463
Cool. Any idea for bouncing an at&t intenet signal 10 miles? If i planned it right i would have 4 knockover poles just high enough to keep the cows fucked off. Like 10 feet high. This will give 4 conecting points line of sight from my work to my house.

And it'll need to be todler worthy advice or none at all. Thank u. But networking and programing are a no go for me.

U ever fuck with stuff like this?
>>
>>1085465
Jesus. That sucks. If u wanna be a cock hire someone to test the pipes. And charge them a fine whenever the pipes are full of fucking grease. If not i'd gut it and neck in like 8 inch fucking sewer line like i did. If it fits through the shitter or a piss trap she gone. Also. Try "liquid fire" drain remover. Fucking holy shit ive wasted hundreds in snakes and redoing lines and shit like draino and shit. Liquid fire. Keep half a dozen bottle on hand at all fucking times. Dump a bottle down the drain. Let it sit for a minute. Then dump a fuckton of hot water down. That acid has to be playing hell on my shitty cast iron pipes. Fuckit. Worth it.

And i was kidding about the mexican thing. I work with a few. Aside from some of them being so fucking lazy and stupid i want to beat them, and not soeaking english. I love these fuckers. Guys know how to cook. Sumbitch.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161117-164938.jpg (848KB, 1104x1016px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161117-164938.jpg
848KB, 1104x1016px
>>1085520
>electric vehicles from scratch.

Triggered my autism. If i make a diy ev thread will u contribute? Or u wanna make one? God I love ev. I built a shitty chink 1000 watt bike and a remote controlled mower. Teach me your ways senpai. I have a VW buss transaxle and a fetish for Trojan T-108's.
>>
>>1085590
Cheap ass easy to set up home system that records on motion with auto backup for say a month? The Night Owl shit is getting curb stomped. Fuck their bullshit software too.
>>
>>1085620
I know it's not tube. But if i got some quality car audio amps and subs would plugging my bass guitar into it allow it to double as my system and an amp?
>>
>>1085657
Lol. How do u. Also. I make bank sinkers as a hobby. Not sure if shipping would be worth it. But i know a lot of truckers if u in the us. I charge $0.25 an ounce. If not i can walk you through building your own and saving a fuckton of money. I buy lead all day long at $1 a pound all i can. U saving the reef and all i guess are not a fan of lead tho. And it may also be illegal in your state.
>>
>>1085677

>how do u

I also party all the time i am not working. And are an alcoholic.

>illegal in your state

Not in the US. We send used motor oil and dead batteries to the landfill, if you are an upstanding citizen that is. The rest throw it down the drain/in the bush
>>
>>1085673
I dont use nightowl, im not a moron. I do commercial systems. I use off brand cameras, i install dvrs power sources. I typically use a verint clone software but also use other.
>>
>>1085673
But in answer to your question find a no name, with out a subscription backup. Store on site with a dvr.
>>
>>1085674
Maybe if you put a little preamp between the bass and your system. The bass signal is much lower than the line level that the car audio stuff is designed for.
>>
>>1085667
Problem with drain cleaner products is that they flush the grease and debris down the lateral line, where it sets up again. We ended up having to dig up the whole lateral line (my dad broke it in multiple places while trying to dig it up) and flushing it out. Finally got the drain line from the house put back together (it got broken too). The top of the septic tank is kind of fucked, so we're going to have to rig up a lid, but we're pretty much done.

We're too small an operation (like 5 trailers, really low rent) to afford to hire help.
>>
Comcast Cable tech here. Do Cat5, coax, home security, and phone.

My skills revolve mostly working in crack dens and not passing out from the smell of cat piss.
>>
>>1085256
I'm currently getting my masters in electrical engineering, so I'm probably qualified for something.

I've also been doing machining as a hobby and occasional job for about five years now. Worked as a general lab tech for a while too, so I have a little knowledge of a lot of things.
>>
>>1085256
Telephone, networking, low voltage wiring. Goldbricking.
>>
>>1085656
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printmaking
>>
Irrigation
Low voltage electrical
>>
>>1085712
>passing out from the smell of cat piss

protip: vicks vapo rub on upper lip
>>
>>1085264
Do you have a tutorial? Or something were i can start? About polarized filters
>>
>>1085683
>mfw i litterally do the same shit and recycle fuck all.

My wife has me talked into building an industrial shredder and log press though.

Should have a rick or 2 of junkmail by the end of winter.
>>
>>1085688
Right on. Well. I got the night owl used after some fucking devient tried to steal my truck batteries. Never again...
>>
>>1085702
Cool. I will do some more research. Thanks anon. Was gonna buikd a tube amp but if i can just cram 4 18's in my car and run a plugin we can rock the fuck out in my barn.
>>
>>1085704
I get it. My folks used to own the trailer park we lived in. U may as well assume you are reolacing or patching any line u dig near. Dirt shelfing off alone is enough to bust pipes. Too bad people just csn be descent human beings and not be grease weilding cocksuckers...
>>
>>1085735
Cool. I guess i cant fucking spell and google and i were both lost as fuck when i tried to figure it out by myself.
>>
>>1085256
I am A commercial HVAC technician 2nd year apprentice who used to do residential HVAC.
>>
>>1085256
Bricklayer here
>>
need to be spoonfed on heating/plumbing/electricity
how do i minimize the cost of running these in a multifamily home/condo?
>>
>>1087338
Sweet. Just brick or concrete block also? Any recomendations for a beginner guide or youtubes? Thinking about building a small office and i am about to purchase the home i will die in. So i want it to last.
>>
>>1087338
How hard would it be to brick a house that just has siding on it originally? My gut says possible with digging and pouring some extra foundation, but difficult. Any experience with this?
>>
>>1085256
I am a state-certified technical engineer for HVAC installations, learned and worked has a natural gas mechanic for seven years beforehand.
>>
Machinist and watchmaker and former auto mechanic. Quit autos 20 years ago so no use on modern shit, however 20 years experience on machining and watch making and part manufacturing.
>>
Welder-fitter here.
I'm actually pretty useless at everything else.
>>
>>1085256
Commercial diver
most commonly known as underwater welder,
>>
>>1085590

You low voltage techs are a bunch of fuckbois. Calling me out to cut in your strikes and shit.

t. low voltage tech/locksmith
>>
>>1085256
How hard would it be to get into guitar making, just doing a relatively simple acoustic guitar for example?
>>
>>1085439
Does Myers-Brigs peg you as an ISTP?
>>
Compiter repair/residential networking
Low voltage coax/cat5 etc wiring
Home theater installation
Retail work
>>
>>1087734
Low voltage tech here. Fuck dealing with locks and shit. That why we get you cunts to deal with it.
>>
>>1088497

Yeah. Because metal work and mechanical parts are too fucking complicated apparently. If it ain't pulling wire or terminating it into boxes or REX/motion sensors or other hardware, you guys can't do it. Which is why you're a dime a dozen and your bosses subcontract portions of your jobs.
>>
I just got a job as a framer and this is my first job in the construction industry. Carpentry seems like it's an ideal career but how do I not just stand around? I want to be able to prove my employer that I'm just not there for a paycheck.
>>
>>1088536

If you got time to lean, you got time to clean. Stay busy and become indispensable. Learn through osmosis my friend. Watch others like a hawk, especially if you're assisting with the grunt work. Don't rush it. If you're new, don't expect to get handled moderately difficult tasks off the bat - but be ready (going back to my osmosis comment) when the opportunity presents itself.

Also, develop a drug and/or drinking problem to fit in.
>>
>>1088563

>Also, develop a drug and/or drinking problem to fit in.

heavy pot head user here
>>
>>1085256
Mechanical fitter, mostly heavy machinery in quarrying and recycling, so doubt I'll be of much use
>>
>>1088521
>Mfw I get to sit on top of a step ladder autistically managing stripping and terminating cables perfectly while some cuck is covered in aluminium shaving from routing out doors.
>>
>>1088574
Is the assassination this image is referring to very well known?
>>
>>1088536
if everybody else is standing around don't sweat it to much, also you could clean up like >>1088563 said, or you could stage materials/fasteners/tools for whatever is going on next.
>>
>>1088585
Yeah, the guy who is getting stabbed is Inejiro Asanuma, a fucking communist piece of shit who was heading the movement in Japan at the time. He was Killed by Otoya Yamaguchi, and with his death the movement basically died. The guy who killed him is a fucking certified hero.
>>
File: IMG_1415.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1415.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>1088574

Pro tip: He's making more money than you.

Besides, stop acting like the plenum is a spotless place. I get dirtier up there than I ever do with a router.
>>
>>1088606
Nah man, this is new Zealand. All trades get fucking shafted here as far as pay goes. Pretty much if you aren't 50 years old with a lifetime of experience doing whatever then you get shit money.

Also
>Implying I get into crawlspaces

Top kek commercial is great, the worst thing I have to do is lift ceiling tiles.
>>
>>1088729

Plenum isn't a crawl space.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plenum_space
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.