[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Three coat vs quick setting stucco?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Stucco_San_Miguel443-DJFs.jpg (135KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Stucco_San_Miguel443-DJFs.jpg
135KB, 640x480px
I need to repair a stucco surface (damage not unlike pic related). Which stucco is preferable, given the fact that it'll be under load when it's done (need to hang a heavy awning there)?
>>
Stucco is shit; nobody uses it anymore.
>>
>>1085192
So, what do you use instead when you need to repair a stucco wall?
>>
>>1085055
It is important to note that there are two major types of stucco and they act differently. The old type (I mean really old, but you can still find them) are a lot of work but are very durable and don't dry fast. The new type are much easier to make but don't hold up as well. And now they got this even newer stuff that is essentially just glue (and shouldn't even be called stucco) but promises to do everything (I have learn not to trust such grand promises without proof). There is actually a lot of chemistry involved in this and many moisture considerations (sealing is often not the right answer with this stuff). Much like concert in that everyone thinks they can do it, but to do it right is really a craft unto itself.

Two years ago I looked into a job similar in Baltimore, got into a debate with my boss who wanted the cheap fix as that project turned into a huge headache and he had basically promised the customer it was easy despite none of us had done stucco. Once we confirmed asbestos was rolled into it I told them to drop it and asked to transfer to a different project as I knew a powder keg when I got the on site report data I had been requesting.

Despite how much work it is you can do it, but there is a lot of homework to do and labor. But given the specialty of the work the few guys who do it charge accordingly, and you got a fair number of posers out there thinking it is just another job like the losers I worked for.

>>1085354
I don't, out of the three jobs I was on my recommendation was to either take the time to fix it right or full section demolition given how those older structures were interconnected.

This was one of the helpful article I remember finding
https://www.nps.gov/tps/how-to-preserve/briefs/22-stucco.htm

hope that helps some
>>
>>1085192
Stucco is a lot of work and basically requires simple yearly maintenance, but it has a number of benefits that the newer stuff can't do. The thermal mass, fire rating and sound proofing are great. But people are lazy and don't want to deal with the simple upkeep, as it should ideally be striped and coated yearly, which is about as hard as a whitewash paint job. The real problems happen when people dry it too fast or seal it over thinking they are correctly dealing with the moisture issues (it needs to breath) or just do nothing for years as the small simple issues you could fix in a day grow rapidly into monster problems.

But overall it can be augured it is easier and cheaper to use stucco, as one big investment with lots of very small life time maintenance costs can come out to be less overall then other more modern things if managed correctly.

Every building material has it's own merits, to ignore so wisdom is foolishness.
But then again we collectively built cheaper wooden houses, then complain about the huge increase in house fires, then saturadted the houses with dangousrus flame redatrants, then complained the homes became toxic. So we can be faily stupid as a culture, espically when lower short term costs are involved. How we build is mind blowingly big and complex, even that mud hut. Never forget that.
>>
>>1085424
sorry I didn't read it all before answering

hanging that kind of weight you need a stud or something, this stuff crumbles under tension and hanging anything is going to make some tension. There is a reason there is so much lath acting as a skeleton to hold it all up.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.