[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cutting trees

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 12

File: 1469635031506.jpg (3MB, 2126x1708px) Image search: [Google]
1469635031506.jpg
3MB, 2126x1708px
>friend with nasty neighbors
>neighbors run the HOA
>fuck his life

long story short he has to cut 3 trees that are on his property
I looked at them and they seem easy to cut
>7-8ft tall trunks
>15-20 (relatively big) branches start almost in the same place (7-8ft)
>mild slope (3-5%)

plan (next spring)

>put ladder on the tree
>cut branches one by one
>cut trunk
>cut everything in pieces
>load trailer, take home, let dry
>enough wood for whole next winter

What can go wrong? (I have a big chainsaw, ladder and trailer)
Any diy suggestions to get rid of the stumps?
Picture not entirely related
>>
>>1084442
i think that's how professional lumberjacks did it with the tree behind my house so it seems like a good method
>>
>>1084442
Stumps? Drill 15-20 deep holes in stump surface, pour 1 lliter of diesel into holes. Wait til the stump dies horribly (late summer if done in spring), then yank out dead stump with saw and rope/chain.
>>
>>1084448
how dirty was after they left?
is it worth messing with a tarp (saw dust)?
or should I just leave it there?
maybe one pass with a lawnmower?

I'm asking all these questions because asshole neighbors
>>
>>1084456
Or a bag of lime and bury it with Pete moss
>>
>chainsawing on a ladder

fast ticket to the ER m8
>>
>>1084562
you must be the guy wearing eye protection while changing a light bulb
and work boots
and ear plugs
and thick mechanic gloves
with all the fuses turned off
>>
>>1084442
I always dug them out, cut all the roots I can see then pop them out with a pick up and chain.
>>
>>1084442
You can burn root balls. Pretty easily. Kinda difficult to get the fire started but once its going youre set.
>>
>>1084442
>HOA
>fuck his life
that's usually the consensus

>What can go wrong?
a lot considering how many idiots are injured while trying to do this kind of thing

but yes, having a plan and not taking too much at once is the smart way....and remember your PPE

>Any diy suggestions to get rid of the stumps?
depends on the size....if large, I'd burn it like >>1084657 said, but dbags might have a problem with burning

if not very thick, pull them out
>>
>>1084589
T. Based never climbed a tree man.

Google Buckingham tree climbers.

You have time to go to climbing school before you do this, and you could make a nice side business out of it. 1000 bucks a tree easy.

Climbing the tree is safer than being on a ladder. You're belted on and your gaffs aren't coming out if you're doing it right. You could endure any shaking and shimmying the tree will throw at you as long as you don't panic.

Your ladder could buckle or fall off or be hit by a limb going down.
>>
File: Arguecat.png (183KB, 400x323px) Image search: [Google]
Arguecat.png
183KB, 400x323px
>>1084442

On the note of fucktards being dickbags with the HOA.

there was one time i dident have a buddy that was getting bent over the table by his HOA and i totally did not drive my truck onto king assholes front lawn at 2AM and tear it up... and we also totally did not freeze balls of herbicide into baseball sized "fuck your back yard" and chuck them around.

Oddly enough his HOA stopped being a dick to him after we dident do those things.

I mean they were pulling some shady ass shit too. Like they told him he needed to have stuff done by company X who was really good friends with the head of the HOA.

TLDR? FUCK HOA'S!!! Pic related.
>>
File: 1374901080740.png (851KB, 1280x931px) Image search: [Google]
1374901080740.png
851KB, 1280x931px
>>1084668
dad was in an hoa and buddies with everyone in the cul de sac. hoa decided to put up no parking signs in neigbors' lot without notice or permission. dad went ahead took his truck and ripped the signs out and threw em out. a few days later in the middle of the day while everyone was at work they replaced them. once again he ripped them out like an upstanding citizen. they didnt try a 3rd time. moral of the story: be friends with your neighbors. aside from the people who suck the hoa's cock. they can go die in a fire.
>>
File: 1469476830486.gif (2MB, 476x268px) Image search: [Google]
1469476830486.gif
2MB, 476x268px
OP here

>>1084666
the trunk is short enough that I'll only need 2-3 steps up a ladder to get where I need to. Low enough that even if I fall, nothing will happen. If it was any higher I'd tell him to hire someone.

Getting back to his HOA, the problem (I think) is that most people there are old and living there for a long time. This guy is relatively young and he just mover there less than 2 years ago. Maybe, with time, things will get better. Funniest thing was the HOA rules book:
>'bout 300 pages.
>nothing that produces fruit on the property
>grass should be of a specific species
>grass shouldn't be higher than xx inches or lower than yy inhes
>no weeds of any kind
>only a limited number of window types
>driveway needs to be clean of leaves and sealed every xx years
>no excessive decorations

When I had just moved into my house (no HOA) I made the mistake of asking my neighbor if it's OK with him if I were to cut one of the trees on my property (really close to his). His answer was 50% "I don't give a fuck" and 50% "why the fuck are you bothering me with all this stupid questions?"
>>
>>1084666

What a bitch. I can't tell you how many times I have stood on a ladder in the bucket of a tractor cutting limbs, hasn't killed me yet.

>I also don't wear chainsaw pants
>>
>>1084866
Wtf are chainsaw pants?
>>
OP here again.
After the guy told me he has to cut the trees and before seeing how they are (I imagined them having tall trunks and a few branches), I went on youtube to watch some videos on how to down trees and one thing let to another, long story short
>videos of idiots with chainsaws are waaaaay funnier than those with people falling, cats or car accidents
>>
>>1084877
They are chaps that go over your normal pants and they will negate or heavily reduce the injury you get from a kickback or otherwise unintended movement of said chainsaw to your gibblets and legs
>>
horticulturist here, kill the tree before spring starts, or you will be dealing with lots of leaves and shit.

Use either a poisoned axe or drill and dip the axe in tryclopyr and glyphosate. Then, start girdling the bottom of the tree by cutting into the bark and phloem.

Using a drill, you could also make several large holes near the base of the tree and pour the chemicals that I mentioned into the holes.
>>
>>1084866
That's nice. One of the contractors we employ just almost bled out literally weeks ago and would have been saved by chaps.
>>
>>1084904
So welding chaps just being relabelled as chainsaw pants
>>
>>1084906
If I cut them in march (first warm week-end, before any leaves appear), will I be OK?
I'm ready to to cut them now but I have enough firewood for this winter so why bother?
>>
>>1084913
Do you use a lot of chainsaws while welding?
>>
>>1084936
I use a lot of 7-9" angle grinders while welding which is a lot more dangerous than your sissy material cutter
>>
>>1084442
>>7-8ft tall trunks
Wat? How thick is the base? Just rip them out with a pickup and chain.
>>
>>1084974
less than 2ft diameter; I would guess less that 20 years old
but I don't have a pick-up and even if I had, I'll probably ruin his lawn pulling them and I would imagine the hole that will be left behind will be quite ugly; imagine THEN the shitstorm from the neighbors
also, in order to drive next to the trees, I'll have to use the neighbor's driveway which will create even more problems

complicated business ...
>>
>>1084937

not him but i use a 7 inch grinder often but chainsaws are a bit more freaky deaky for me.
>>
>>1085160
A chain gets unraveled it doesn't go 10ft over into your buddy's face

Vs a grinding disk
>>
>>1084589
Fuck you. Safety is everyones responsibility.
>>
>>1084913
no. chainsaw chaps have a special layer of fibers intended to bind the saw if it gets cut into. its literally what is protecting you.
>>
>>1085205

I leave my guards on the grinders and adjust them accordingly.

I was cycling up the road once and passed by some dude who was weed wacking with an fs280 about 60 feet away and next thing you know a stone hits me in the nose. So if we are talking distance of being hit as to be the tools grade of dangerous then i think we should be really weary of AMRAAMS.
>>
>>1084442
>that feeling when somebody reposts my former shitbox in the OP
>>
>>1085210
You mean like the fiberglass layer in many welding chaps?
>>
>>1085229
Guards don't mean shit when the disk explodes sending shards in every direction

Also it wasn't the distance I was stressing, it was the broken cheekbone and mangled everything in between
>>
File: 1461274258858.jpg (72KB, 720x690px) Image search: [Google]
1461274258858.jpg
72KB, 720x690px
>>1084937
>9" angle grinders
jesus
I don't even like using 4 inch ones
>>
File: 1478877715218.jpg (146KB, 960x758px) Image search: [Google]
1478877715218.jpg
146KB, 960x758px
I don't know about you, but for me here's what's scary:
circular (handheld) saws - 2/10
chainsaws and table saws- 3/10
angle grinders - 5/10
bench grinders - 9/10 - hoooly shit! I have one and I'm scared to death every time I start it; most of the times I take it outside to use it
>>
>>1085313
>Guards don't mean shit when the disk explodes sending shards in every direction

Dat's why I wear glasses and a face shield and stay the fuck out of the plane of rotation.
>>
>>1085447
>bench grinders

What is taking them outside supposed to accomplish other than avoiding cleanup? BTW if you avoid the plane of rotation a grinder won't eat you.

I do leave one bench grinder mounted to my outdoor welding table so I don't have to clean up dust. It's been outdoors, covered with a plastic barrel cut lengthwise, for more than ten years. I have vises outdoors too. I paint them heavily with waste paint and use them to hold objects I paint. I greased the screws thoroughly.

I also run flap discs on one end of my grinder spindle. I like the way they grind and polish. If stones scare you, try flap wheels instead.
>>
>>1085473
We were both wearing safety glasses and I was wearing my welding hood, he was not in the plane of rotation but he was on the ground towards the open side of the grinder while I was about 5 foot up on a piece welding it. Disk exploded into about 5 pieces (thanks dewalt for your shitty disks) 2 went in plane of cutting and 3 off to the side, one towards his face

It's funny, you know the cliche movie scar that goes from forehead to cheek but misses the eye entirely and you think "why the fuck is his eye fine"? He has one of those because of the safety glasses
>>
>>1085474
I've seen bench grinder stones break apart fantastically, the problem isn't the initial break, it's that the shrapnel breaks apart all over
>>
>>1085474
Those marks aren't suppose to be rational.
It's just that the grinder scares the shit out of me.
Probably the worst part is that it takes a while to stop after I turn it off (compared to all other spinning power tools).
I grade at less than 9/10:
>getting under a car supported by a flimsy jack
>driving in pouring rain with bald tires
>entering a house that has a pitbull in it
>>
>>1085312
I think it's kevlar
>>
>>1085516
Are chainsaw pants $3000?

No?

Then they aren't
>>
File: 1474174329604.jpg (145KB, 600x941px) Image search: [Google]
1474174329604.jpg
145KB, 600x941px
>>1085540
Not the guy your talking to but

Most companies keep their blend of materials a trade secret it seems. Google a specific make to see what blend they use but kevlar is apparently not as good for an application you may want to wash frequently as were the special blends chainsaw chaps use can be washed/laundered many times.

Some companies do manufacture chaps using kevlar just google it.
>>
>>1085548
Here's the thing about Kevlar: it's not magic

It is slightly stronger to impact than fiberglass, carbon fiber which makes it a good flexible material for body armor at a low weight

However just like the other fibers, it only would provide protection if layered a significant amount (there is a reason military Kevlar vests are about an inch thick)

Meaning either there are hundreds of layers of Kevlar in the chaps making them thousands of dollars a pair or they just have 1-2 layers for marketing then stuff the rest with a non cost prohibitive material like fiberglass
>>
I've not read all this thread yet, but I wanted to say as someone who has chainsaw trousers and has friends who work in the industry the kevlar isn't like 'anti chainsaw' protection, it is more like strands designed to clog up and quickly stop up/stall a chainsaw in case of contact.

I've seen them get eaten up a bit and they are invariably layered with long strands of kevlar designed to fray away and snare the chain and sprocket.
>>
>>1084448
They didn't have a pole saw?
>Professionals
>>
>>1084442
Arborist here, we practically never cut from a ladder. Better to climb the tree and cut from within it. You always want to be above the cut if possible. Limbs are heavier than you think and twice as unpredictable, especially if you haven't the experience.

Be safe and take your time, tree work is dangerous as fuck.

>>1084866
I never wear chaps either.
>>
>>1084906
Arborist here again, don't listen to this guy, dead trees are way more of a pain in the ass than live trees. Everything's brittle and whippy and doesn't behave like it should.
>>
>>1085606
I might try that until there are a two-three branches left.
At the end I'll still have to use something like a small stepladder positioned next to the tree.
And be ready to jump (and run) as soon as something starts moving

Also, if nothing unexpected comes up, I'll pass by my friend and take some pics (and post them) of the trees to show their height, shape and the terrain around them.
>>
File: 1.jpg (354KB, 664x374px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
354KB, 664x374px
>>1085966
As expected, memories don't really match reality ...
anyway, pics
>>
File: 3.jpg (365KB, 664x374px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
365KB, 664x374px
>>1086204
I sent the pictures to myself and I resized them too small
too lazy to do it again, I hope you can see
>>
File: 2.jpg (348KB, 664x374px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
348KB, 664x374px
>>1086205
last one, hopefully this time turned the right way
you can see the "slope"
>>
>>1084442
what is the home owners assosiation bullshit..
did he buy the house?
If so, its his property and they can fuck off.
>>
>>1085209
Thanks smokey
>>
>>1087435
Dumbass signed a contract
>>
>>1087440
What a fucking cuck
How do you get out of it? Why the fuck would anyone sign something like that
>HURR TELL ME HOW TO RUN MY PROPERTY
mad/10
Im going to bed now.
>>
>>1087440
Is it possible to move in that neighborhood without signing the contract?
What if a I buy the property from your friend? He is obliged in some way to only sell to someone willing to sign the stupid contract?
>>
>>1086206
what about those trees directly across the way? Do they have to be cut?? I'd leave em until that arsehole over there cuts theirs.

Those look pretty easy but I understand your concern if the neighborhood is weird. Also Those dont look like trees the owner planted. He should look into it to see if they were previously approved or planted by the community. Also its just going to cause more runoff towards the places on the left if they have a basement.
>>
OP here
when he bought the house, I think he also (automatically maybe) signed into the HOA
the only way to get out of it is either lengthy litigation (which, most likely he won't win; at least one of the neighbors is a lawyer that probably wrote the rules) or selling the house; none of these will happen.
the trees were planted by the previous owner but because I don't know the rules, I'll just assume that this doesn't excuse him from not cutting them
the only trees that "need" to be cut are the three in the last pic; there might be one right behind me (while I'm taking the last picture) but that seems to be part of a life fence

long story short, he bought a house he shouldn't have and I'll have some free firewood for the next winter
>>
File: cutchap.jpg (269KB, 540x362px) Image search: [Google]
cutchap.jpg
269KB, 540x362px
>>1085552
in chainsaw chaps there's a layer of very loosely knit kevlar. the chainsaw teeth snatch and unravel the loose knit, the saw teeth can't pull on it hard enough to cut the threads, and the whole mess wraps around the drive sprocket and jams the saw.

it's a totally different concept to abrasion or penetration resistant weaves.
>>
File: 1479423804800.jpg (73KB, 638x498px) Image search: [Google]
1479423804800.jpg
73KB, 638x498px
NZfag here. We built a house in a new subdivision. Turns out there is a HOA here, although in NZ they have zero power. I got a quasi-legal letter from the head dickhead once because they didn't like my vine/trellis combo that hides the side/back of the yard and they demanded I pull it out and put in a fucking picket fence using only contract company X, who he is conveniently best friends with the owner.

I sent him a letter with two words on it 'get fucked'. He actually called the fucking police on me for harassment, what irony, they showed up and looked a bit confused as to why they were there. I explained it to them and they laughed and drove off.

So I went around to his house a few months later when they were on holiday and ripped out all his plants around his back lawn and laid them out spelling 'cunt'. Mfw he didn't even know who it was because he fucks with half the neighbourhood so it could have been anyone, top kek.
>>
Man if you are just cutting it down, start by limbing it up about 1/3 of the way. Then climb to the top and work your way down. Make sure to leave steps to get back down on the bottom 1/3 portion. Then when you are left with the major body of the tree, cut off sections 3 or 4 feet at a time. Make sure they fall away from you.

You don't need to do it all at once.
>>
>>1084562
I should show these pictures of Iranians chainsawing a holly tree FROM THE BUCKET OF A FUCKING BACKHOE
>>
>>1084906
Most people couldnt properly girdle a tree to save their lives

I cant count the number I had to drop because it failed to work
>>
>>1085447
Danger rating:

tablesaw 8/10 only two accidents both were kickbacks that I should have seen coming

Chainsaw 7.5/10 looks simply doesnt it? Fire it up and cut away. Branch just out of reach? lean out and cut with the tip. Only time I ever cut myself was sharpening it. 4 years of work with it out in the wild of British Columbia

Circular Saw 5/10 Using the height adjustment and only have as much blade exposed that you need.

Benchgrinder: 3/10 Biggest danger is having the wheel shatter on you so either use a face shield or stand off to one side

Angle grinder 2.75/10 Either burning your skin (painful but not quick like a saw blade) or the wheels break on you. Again use a face shield
>>
>>1085552
I get mine from a specialized store and its a layered design with kevlar and nomex with some nylon

Quite light, flexible and washable so they dont get that funky smell like a big truck full of chipped up fir/cedar/pine/spruce smells like
>>
>>1087589
>Angle grinder 2.75/10
losing control of a wire wheel or cupped wire wheel = shit your pants
>>
>>1087442
Because you can't buy the house of you don't sign it. You can't get out of it.

>>1087449
No. The houses in an HOA have special deeds that mean the owner of the house doesn't completely 100% own it, there are restrictions. One is you can't buy the house without agreeing to the HOA rules.
Yeah it's really stupid. But I only blame the people dumb enough to buy those houses.
>>
>>1087708
Fuck HOAs. They are total cancer, their original purpose, to make sure the neighbourhood doesn't look like some fucking nig ghetto has been completely subverted by power tripping dipshits.
>>
>>1087708
>>1087748
>cant buy a house without it
This is the most retarded shit Ive heard.. that has to be some west cost bullshit.
Im not sure how I would handle something like that, to me it doesnt even sound legal.
Either I wouldnt buy the house, or if I did and then they dump it on me out of nowhere thered be a war of some sorts..

Reminds me of an older couple I know, theyve lived in the same house for 60 years.
They decided to put in a "historical district" zone where their house happened to be.. and being in this new district meant they couldnt do shit to their house that "wasnt original or fitting to the time". They put in new windows or siding or something because it needed it.
This historic district starts fucking with them and starting shit and trying to fee them or threatening too.
They told them to fuck off that theyve lived there the better part of a century.
>>
>>1087757
>This is the most retarded shit Ive heard.. that has to be some west cost bullshit.
>Im not sure how I would handle something like that, to me it doesnt even sound legal.
>Either I wouldnt buy the house, or if I did and then they dump it on me out of nowhere thered be a war of some sorts..
>Reminds me of an older couple I know, theyve lived in the same house for 60 years.
>They decided to put in a "historical district" zone where their house happened to be.. and being in this new district meant they couldnt do shit to their house that "wasnt original or fitting to the time". They put in new windows or siding or something because it needed it.
>This historic district starts fucking with them and starting shit and trying to fee them or threatening too.
>They told them to fuck off that theyve lived there the better part of a century.
Actually, Texas has really restrictive HOA laws, I know of a few cases where the HOA repossessed houses because of accumulated unpaid fines for grass > 2"
>>
OP here
where I live there's no HOA (one of the main reasons we bought this house)
the house I used to live in (rent) before, belonged to a neighborhood where ... I hope you all sit down now ...
>THE HOA OWNS ALL OUTSIDE PROPERTY INCLUDING THE EXTERIOR WALLS OF THE HOUSES
how's that for fucked up?
and I live on the east coast
I'm pretty sure that everywhere there's an HOA, it owns some part of the property without which you won't be able to use the house
hence the need to sign into the HOA when buying the house no matter what
I might be mistaken though; any legalfag around here that can shed some light on the subject?
>>
>>1087814
Jesus Christ that's fucked. Not being able to even paint your own house because group of fuckwits own it. Fuck that so much.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.