[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Catio

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

Before I get going on this I want to preface with my body (physically) is absolutely fucked as far as manual labor goes. I did a lot of it when I really shouldnt have an I'm leaning towards disabled. (I have to get someone else to pick something up for me if its over 30lbs or the next day I wont be able to walk. (Its very embarassing and even still on occassion ill pick things up anyways just to not have to embarass myself. Im usually on a cane the next day so it never really does work out in my favor.)

My wife wants to build a catio onto our house like pic related. Because of my physical shape and her literal ineptitude and clumsyness with tools (shes one of those artsy types) im going to have to hire a contractor to build one for me.

Just by looking at the picture provided, how much do you think a contractor would charge me for this? I would do it myself but I doubt I could even lift the lumber.

I live in the deep south and i live next to a lumber yard if that helps to decide on anything.
>>
>I live in the deep south and i live next to a lumber yard if that helps to decide on anything.

If price is a concern, steal the lumber and pay for the contractor in meth
>>
>>1084329
just let your cats roam freely and don't lock them up in a fucking cage,
will save you money and stops the abuse of those poor animals
>>
>>1084333
>/diy/ advocates letting your cats get hit by cars

T-thanks /diy/
>>
>>1084334
>cats get hit by cars
cars are loud and scary, cats are usually quite good at avoiding them;
they are also just animals so even if they do get killed it's not the end of the world
just get a new one and enjoy having a cute little kitty again
>>
>>1084339
LOL okay whatever
>>
>>1084340
is this an american thing? Whenever I've browsed /an/ I see posts advocating never letting your cat outside. In the UK I don't think I know anyone who doesn't let their cat roam free. And most cat's don't die from cars either, normally they get locked in somewhere when they were being nosy.
>>
>>1084344
In thr US we have lots of concerns.

>neighbors will poison roaming animals
>animals are regularly hit by cars
>cats will get in fights with other animals and get badly wounded. (My wife had one of her cats get literally eaten by a neighborhood dog and she witnessed it. I believe the dog was shot after this)

Ive personally lost 4+ cats to seperate poisonings and cars in my life.
>>
>>1084344
Keep in mind while >>1084349
Is true, its mainly a Southern US thing since we have a shitload of wildlife down here.
>>
File: AbeOik6.jpg (14KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
AbeOik6.jpg
14KB, 480x270px
>>1084333
>>
>>1084349
>>1084350
hahh I see then, it's a doggy dog world for pussies in the USA
>>
>>1084344
>>1084349
They are renowned for killing wildlife here in Australia, we have several native species of small mammals on the endangered list from feline predication.

Basically, if you're more than 30 clicks out of a population center and you own land, you shoot cats on sight. It's all but mandated by our federal government.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/16/australian-government-declares-war-on-feral-cats-in-bid-to-save-endangered-species

If you are the owner of an animal, it is your duty to control it. If you fail to do so, the death of the animal is, as its caretaker, on your own head. I'm not surprised burgerclaps have no fucks to give considering the prevalent attitude of "don't tread on me" that exists there.

>>1084333
1/10 because trips.
>>
>>1084354
So what you're saying is you're not surprised in the least that I, living in America, feel the need to confine my cats and make sure some crazy redneck eitha gun doesn't shoot them/run them over for fun? Glad to see someone agrees with me.
>>
>>1084349
>Ive personally lost 4+ cats to seperate poisonings and cars in my life.
so each cat still had an average lifespan of 5+ years which is not too bad
when it comes to animals quality of life >>> length

>>1084354
>killing wildlife here in Australia
everything kills your wildlife in Australia because being separated from the rest of the world for such a long time
has led you in an evolutionary cul de sac and thus your wildlife is poised to go extinct anyways
>>
>>1084360
>so each cat still had an average lifespan of 5+ years which is not too bad
5 years is like the third of their typical lifespan. Cats raised inside have a much higher average lifespan.

>everything kills your wildlife in Australia because being separated from the rest of the world for such a long time
has led you in an evolutionary cul de sac and thus your wildlife is poised to go extinct anyways

t. a liar

But I dont care about you being wrong. Youre keeping my thread onnthe first page anyways so someone is bound to come along eventually who isnt trolling. So thanks for that I guess.
>>
>>1084357
Not at all, and I applaude you for both caring about the safety of your critters (both those you keep, and those you share the planet with) and ensuring they can get out into some fresh air and have some sun to laze about in. Sounds like the good life to me anon.
>>
>>1084364
The xanax I'm on says thank you.
>>
>>1084360
>everything kills your wildlife in Australia because being separated from the rest of the world for such a long time

Thats not how ecosystems work anon. There is a balance, and introducing a predator that did not evolve in that system, thus denying other species the ability to adjust over generations of exposure, is a great way of wrecking that balance. Be less dumb anon.
>>
>>1084362
>5 years is like the third of their typical lifespan
their typical lifespan in nature would also be ~5 years that's why i was saying it's not too bad
because the dangers introduced by us humans and the benefits (vaccination, reliable food supply...) cancel each other out
also see >>1084360
>when it comes to animals quality of life >>> length

>>1084362
>But I dont care about you being wrong. Youre keeping my thread onnthe first page anyways so someone is bound to come along eventually who isnt trolling. So thanks for that I guess.
Just because i don't agree with what you are doing doesn't mean I'd stop you from doing it, this is a free world after all
my honest advice would be to just call up a contractor and ask for a quote, if it's too expensive
make the plans yourself, buy the materials and pay a neigbourhood kid $10 an hour to nail it together and put it up

>>1084366
>great way of wrecking that balance
so is a meteor or climate change
wrecking ecosystems' balances is a part of evolution and thus life
thinking us humans can change that and keep the current balance forever is just delusional
>>
>>1084377
Meteors and climate change (well..) are not human actions. Even so, life finds a way in the long run, which is how us mammals survived the KT extinction event. Releasing a predator into an environment that has never seen anything like it before, is a human action, and avoidable at that. And it certainly doesn't take place over tens of thousands of years, which again, denies the existing fauna a chance to develop defense strategies.

By your logic, you don't need to clean your house because bacteria and fungi would have grown anyway, so there is no need to take proactive actions against it.
>>
>>1084381
>are not human actions
>is a human action, and avoidable at that
my whole point was that us humans and our actions are just a part of nature like meteors etc.
thinking we are an outside entity above the rest of nature is egocentric at best

>denies the existing fauna a chance to develop defense strategies
nature has no concept of "fairness" and there's no right to equal opportunity for all lifeforms

>By your logic, you don't need to clean your house because bacteria and fungi would have grown anyway, so there is no need to take proactive actions against it.
kek, it's the other way round you shouldn't clean your house to not interfere with its local ecosystem and not deny its microbes their right to live long and prosper
I have no problem with changing an ecosystem to increase my comfort
just as i have no problem with a few native birds going extinct to increase my pet's quality of life
>>
>>1084329
How big is your enclosure going to be? Are the walls made of rabbit panels or pet screen?

>>1084354
>if you're more than 30 clicks out of a population center and you own land, you shoot cats on sight
We do this in rural areas of the US as well, feral cats are a problem here.
>>
>>1084329
>how much
to get this OT again (just for a change) - wood in that is nothing + roll of mesh - depends on whether one wall is going to be attached to the house (freestanding, need to be slightly more solid) and entrance/exit (how? - catflap? + tunnel?) etc.
>>
File: 1479244607010-949966632.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1479244607010-949966632.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1084433
>>1084439
Does this help any?
>>
>>1084329

>I would do it myself but I doubt I could even lift the lumber.

Each one of those posts looks like it isn't even 10 lb. I assume the wire mesh helps it keep its shape.

Of course the roll of wire mesh will be slightly heavier.
>>
>>1084499

Easiest mode of construction to me seems to cut the mesh roughly to size, clamping the mesh between two frames and then attacking it with an angle grinder for finish. Frames made with steel corners, cause fuck real wood working.

If you get the lumber all precut to size. Would it really beyond your wife to do something like that?

Any way, seems like less than a day worth of work. Lets high ball it (they certainly will) at 1.5 including design and other time wasters ... at 40$ an hour, around 500$ labour I'd guess.
>>
>>1084527
Im not supposed to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk.
>>
>>1084344
It's probably a bad habit, being the owner of the animal you are responsible for it and all the harm it may cause. I suggest you to look up the laws about that.
I own birds and keep them outside in an aviary, cats get near and I kick them or something to scare them away. I'm the owner of my land, I don't want shitty cats pissing and shitting all over. By law I wouldn't be in the right for hurting the animal but I can ask the owner to refund any damage his "free-to-roam" cat did.
>>
>>1084543
How are you gonna maintain the place and handle the cats? I don't wanna discourage you but it soulds like a lot of work even after you have it built
>>
>>1084782
>but I can ask the owner to refund any damage his "free-to-roam" cat did.
You can ask for all sorts of things, but nobody has any duty to pay you shit in the UK. Cats have the right to roam freely.
>>
>>1084329
I'd do it for $500
>>
>>1084349
>Ive personally lost 4+ cats to seperate poisonings

That's fucking awful, I'm sorry to hear that mate.

How can people be so fucked up.
>>
>>1084785
I'm married nigga, I have a housewife.

>>1084801
Its fine man. Ive had a lot of time to accept it. Pets dying hardly bothers me anymore I've lost so many. Thefts, cars, poisonings, wild animals, its really fucked up; my wife however has only ever lost one thing she ever loved.

>anon is getting used to tragedy
>>
>>1085046
>hardly bothers me anymore

That is not a good thing mate
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.