[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Electronics Class for Kids

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: jimmy.jpg (75KB, 582x741px) Image search: [Google]
jimmy.jpg
75KB, 582x741px
I want to start a class teaching 6 to 10 year old about electricity and electrical principles. How might I go about this? I'm 18 but I have teaching experience with kids of this age range at my martial arts school a few years ago and have taught individual kids about electronics especially micro controllers in their homes.

How could I go about getting some time at the local community center or something and getting my class advertised?
I already have a general idea of what the class would be like.
>>
6-10? Shit I tried teaching some highschoolers about 555 timers and it was almost magic to them. It takes some age and experience to develop an understanding for things electrical and electronic
>>
>>1084174
Nigga I was doing that shit on my own when I was ten. It doesn't take a genius, just the right type of person. And yeah, most high schoolers in my experience are pretty apathetic about cool shit like that, but not all of them.
>>
>>1084178
No you're totally right. There were a couple definitely interested promising kids.
Teaching is just tough, I had a new respect for teachers after that experience.
>>
Yeah 6-10 is mini breadboards and 555 blinky shit tier. But it should be fun for them.

At the older range maybe Arduino, but that's a lot of extra baggage to teach.
>>
>>1084182
How did you get yourself into that? Was it through the high school did you make your own class or what?
>>
>>1084190
Just talking to a former teacher, i think she suggested it actually
>>
>>1084188
You think they could handle all that? I was just thinking having the kids pass balls around in varying quantities and at different speeds to demonstrate current and voltage then something similar for resistance. Then we would just make some electromagnets out of nails and maybe solder up an led to a switch and a battery.
>>
>>1084193
> pass balls around in varying quantities and at different speeds to demonstrate current and voltage

Make sure you get it right. I've seen this kind of analogy fucked up really badly by teachers. Current=quantity, Voltage=speed is wrong if the balls represent electrons. Current would be the number of balls that go past a point per second; doesn't matter if it's a few passed quickly or a handful passed slowly. Voltage would be the difference in the number of balls between the start and end.
>>
>>1084198
Pass around buckets.
Current is how many buckets are being passed around.
Voltage is how much stuff is in the buckets.
Bonus points if the thing in the bucket makes something go as it gets to a designated point e.g. marbles for a marble race, not the best example but you get the idea.
>>
>>1084198
>Voltage would be the difference in the number of balls between the start and end.
Now you have a fucked up understanding of what happens to electrons.
>>
>>1084172
You should lure them in and bean them so hard they cry
>>
>>1084193
>6 to 10 year old
I work with kids and I would bet 90% will not manage to do shit with an Arduino, not because it's complex, but because the process of programming is boring for them. I work with lego mindstorm and even then it's hard to keep them motivated if they're not seeing short term, exciting results.
Teach them the basics, I like the idea of using marbles and a small marble track.
Use slopes to represent voltage, not speed, current is just the amount of current passing through a certain line on the track by unit of time. You can put pegs or narrow the track at some points to teach them how a resistance causes a potential difference.
Once they know those basics you can blow something up to demostrate power and things like that.
The thing is to mix fun and excitement with learning, making sure they're learning and not just playing around, otherwise they won't do shit.
>>
>>1084172
I would highly suggest something like those plug and play kits at radio shack. Or boxes of cheap wire and lights and motors and shit. Being that young a battery holder and some basic pricibles with lights and motors should be entertaining as all hell. I'll bever forget the day my love of electronics started.

For some reason i had a flashlight i loved and droped it down the stairs. I was maybe 5 and pretty distraught over it. We didn't have a lot of money so i knew i'd have to save a while or put my parebts out. Dad just laughed. Had me run around and gater up a roll of black tape, my boom box, 2 empy rolls of tp and a normal roll and said he could "fix it."

Wait what?

Who the fuck are you Mcguiver?

Whatever. This things tend to always be entertaining and there was a chance my flashlight would work again.

He comences to rip the bulb and switch out and tape it to the cardboard tubes with the batteries out of my raidio and fucking toilet paoer and tape to wedge it together. Now my flashlight was frankenstiens monster and ecer brighter. I kept that thing for fuck near 20 years.

Lol.

Sorry for blogpost. Shit brings me back.

Good luck op.
>>
>>1084188
Hell. I spent 2 days working on a project. My 3 year old nephew had a problem with pushing chars around and fuckinf with light switches. So i riged up a shadowbox tyoe thibg with a bunch of lights and fans and buzzer and shit. Like 10 different switches rigged up to it. Cost like 20 bucks for all the extra switches and you'd have thought he won the lottery. Even i got tired of hearing it and unhooked all the buzzers half the time. I made sure and out a car hirn in it before sending it with his mom.

Topkek. Snapchat the next day of him laughing his ass off and his mom with a pissed off look on her face.
>>
>>1084198
Yeah. I wouldnt even got that far. At 6-10 it took me a bit to grasp complete and incomplete circuits. Im still not sure how electromagnets work.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.