[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bed frame

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

So I'm going to be moving, probably for the 1st of December. The room I'm going to have (I'm having roommates) is bigger than my current one.

My current bed is on the small end, and isn't big enough to share with my gf when she spends the night. Which is obviously less than ideal.

I figured, with the extra space, I should fix that. I don't have much money, and I know i can build one cheaper than to buy one. Plus i have 2 mattresses I can put together for size, rather than buy one.

However I'm worried I'll make a bed that won't be solid enough to hold 2 people.

Does anyone have any advice on design/wood types/etc?

I'd really appreciate it.
>>
>>1083931
We don't welcome unskilled and unresourced cunts who can't google their own shit and come here and expect us to teach you magic. Sleep on the floor so you don't have to worry about it breaking.
>>
Futons work nicely, are comfy to fuck on, and avoid the whole stupid elevated bed frame thing.

You could sew or have sewn suitably weebish covers.
>>
>>1083931
Matthias, your autistic uncle, has a video showing how to make a bomb-proof bed frame using dimensional lumber from the hardware store.
>>
how fat are you and your girlfriend that you can't sleep in the same bed
>>
4x4 posts connected with 2x6s, side supports from 2x2s, with 1x3 lats

not very complicated
>>
>>1084078
Not fat, my bed is really more of a cot rn. Not enough space for two people unless you're literally on top of each other. Which is only a problem for actual sleep.
>>
>>1084096
I figured as much, then i remembered the whole "weight distribution" stuff, n i was worried that would somehow apply to furniture.
>>
>>1083939
I'm sorry, i thought people on here knew enough to explain the basics, or point me to a guide that explains the basic principles without saying "just build this". And while I'm sure there are, it's a shame you're not one of them.
>>
>>1084235
constructed with the proper materials, it should not be a problem
>>
We build frames all the time at work, basically two boards either side and a bunch of slats evenly spaced with an X underneath to help support weight.
honestly not extremely difficult since the apprentices do it.
>>
>>1084256
Is there any type of wood or something i should NOT use? Or does basically any kind work? I think around where I live people mostly sell cedar, maybe pine? but there is a specialized woodworking lumber store that has everything, so i have lots of options. What would you recommend?
>>
>>1084345
one that doesnt pitch resin through time, which will get sticky

i build my frame when i was 16 using walnut, still using it ~10years later

and i wouldnt make it closed to the ground, leave some vents for air circulation
>>
>>1084237
We're sorry, we thought you'd know enough to use google.

The other anon who posted about Matthias' bed frame is right.

it's basic, it's cheap, and he shows you how to fucking put it together. Modify it to be more or less ornate to your tastes/capabilities/tools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY1mxnXCeF8
>video fucking related
>>
>>1084345
depends on what you want to spend

pine is fine
>>
>>1084353
Is walnut easy to work on? I know it's just wood, but a drill is basically the extent of my power tools.
The specialty store has pretty much every kind, and while mahogany is probably out of my price range, i would like to use some nice wood.
>>
>>1084548
You need the tools to dimension the lumber or else it's going to look no better than if you just bought a bunch of 2x4s and nailed it together.

The minimum for this is a table saw, a jointer, and a planer. This typically entails thousands of dollars and a minimum of a 1-car garage worth of space.
>>
>>1084638
Can i now just saw it by hand for the hours that would require?

Not sure how to deal with the lack of planner (i googled what it was), but I'm sure there's some kind of tool for that.
>>
>>1084658
Not*
I can't spell.
>>
>>1084658
>but I'm sure there's some kind of tool for that
there is, a planer

buy dimensional pine for most of the frame, if you want something better for the parts that will show, buy more dimensional whatever

the cost and effort of using rough sawn material would far exceed what it would cost to just go buy a pre-made frame
>>
>>1083931
>However I'm worried I'll make a bed that won't be solid enough to hold 2 people.

Once i built a California king and was afraid of the support in the middle, insolved making 4 "tables", the strongest part of the bed was in the middle, super easy to disassemby, store and move.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.