[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IRL PREDATOR VISION

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10

File: Thermal-cat.jpg (126KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Thermal-cat.jpg
126KB, 800x600px
I want to know how to build my own "predator vision" goggles.

I haven't seen anyone building vision enhancement that can switch from different modes.

How complicated is it? Has anyone done it?

Also, can you make things like electric currents/fields, magnetic fields, X-rays/gamma rays/radio waves/etc translate into a visible medium?

It would be neat to be able to see the invisible world. I'm surprised I haven't heard of anyone doing this.
>>
I love how the cold parts of the cat are exactly those where a Siamese cat has it's cream points.
>>
>>1083912
Well who wouldn't want that. But it's not something you can just make in your room. I think the closest you get is night vision goggles the military use. Or other big infrared systems, radars and such on planes. Btw the chinese supposedly developed a new kind of "quantum radar" recently.

You can't see radio waves because they are too long and go through stuff. There are radio telescopes, not sure if they output images or what. But those are nowhere close to being goggles, you need many of them spread across a huge area.

As for short wavelengths, I'm not sure there's equipment to make them into images or video. You can find portable x-ray machines though. Maybe there's some other kind of medical equipment.

Besides that you could also turn sound into video with echolocation. Or silent videos can be turned into sound for that matter by the vibration of objects in the video.
>>
File: gvh.jpg (30KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
gvh.jpg
30KB, 636x358px
There's something I thought about though, you know the movement detector in the alien movies?

It should in theory be possible to make something like that to "see" through walls and such. It could use normal wifi signals.
>>
I once used a normal camera with an infrared mode in darkness to catch a bird.
>>
>>1083922
i remember in senior year ee we saw some of the grad student projects - one was a see through walls demo. i think it was a horn, shitload of rf test equipment, and a laptop. you'd wave your hand behind a concrete wall and watch a blob on a matlab app go where you go
>>
>>1083912
There is not much to diy here. You can buy a shitty thermal imaging sensor made for smartphones and hook it up to something like a cellphone.

Oh and it has to be a cellphone too. Sensor is so shitty that it has a color camera too so the thermal image is overlayed on to the color image to compensate for shit resolution.

>>electric/magnetic fields and radiowaves
Too big to image
>> X-rays
If you detect them, you probably have cancer
>> gamma rays
Same. Imaging element would be rather large

You can do NIR amd UV though. Multispectral IR sensors are coming down in price because farmers use them for drones to check on crops.

UV is cool as this lets you see power line arcing and where animals have peed
>>
File: tricorder-replica.jpg (50KB, 470x470px) Image search: [Google]
tricorder-replica.jpg
50KB, 470x470px
>>1083922

I once downloaded an app that turned my smartphone into a metal detector. It used the antenna.

It actually worked, too. I felt like I had a Star Trek tricorder :3

I'd bet money MIT students can make an IRL predator mask in a few weeks with stuff they bought from radio shack.
>>
>>1083950
No that uses the magnetometer.
>>
The only thing I know of that comes close is the AN/PSQ-20, which costs as much as a car. A normal set of NVGs can see objects once they're near red hot.
>>
I'm imagining OP strapping the venus mask from Saw on his face, turning the knob to "Radio" and then flailing around wildy and trying desperately to turn it off. Can you imagine seeing in radio waves, everything would be such a clusterfuck I don't even know how you could put that on a visual display
>>
>>1083979
>Can you imagine seeing in radio waves
Eyes operate using electromagnetic waves.
>>
>>1083912

USB FLIR cameras, USB otg, samsung note 7, samsung gear. roll of duct tape, 1 week of development.
>>
>>1083912
um, basically you want to buy a flir, and hook it up to a smartphone mounted in a virtual reality headset?
>>1083948
what they said, also chances are you got hit with gamma radiation while writing that post

>>1083921
you can do this in your room, its just as simple as filtering out everything you don't want while (infrared filters as an example) amplifying what you do want and display it so our eyes can detect it. this technology already exists.

the only way to see different spectrums with our eyes is to genetically alter the proteins that expand and contract when a photon at a certain wavelength hits them. technically not impossible, but we don't know enough about our own genome to do that today. i once had a cat scan done on my head, even though they put what i figured was a lead shield over my eyes, i still saw colors of light flash, mostly purple which means my receptors were going haywire and that's what my brain interpreted it as.
>>
File: bubble_fermi.jpg (204KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
bubble_fermi.jpg
204KB, 900x600px
>>1083996

Basically, but good quality.

Things like night vision, FLIR, and IR have been around decades.

And telescopes translate radiation waves into a visible medium. Not sure about electric fields and magnetic fields.

So....

It has to be possible.

And it would be cool as fuck and useful for certain industries.

When Kosmos 954 crashed the had to walk around thousands of miles and use Geiger counters. Imagine being able to fly around and use your eyes instead.
>>
>>1083996
Yeah if all you want is a shitty toy then you can put filters over a normal video.

>the only way to see different spectrums with our eyes
Wrong, we transfer one spectrum to another one. That's how flir works.
>>
>>1084008
i was talking about genetic engineering our DNA so that our photo receptors in our eyes react to different wavelengths, a lot of the animal kingdom can see part of the ultraviolet spectrum

i wasn't talking about filtering videos or pictures themselves like instagram, but at the camera lens. like removing the IR filter off a camera, and then filtering out the visible spectrum with either film negative or other materials

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Webcam-Into-an-Infrared-Camera
>>
File: 13233-01.jpg (177KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
13233-01.jpg
177KB, 600x600px
>>1083912
There are sensors available to hobbyists for this, but they're not cheap, very delicate, and have low resolution.

Google for flir lepton kit (pictured). It's under $300. What a deal!

There were other, cheaper, hobbyist grade sensors that I think were 1x8 or 2x8 pixels, but I funny think those are widely available anymore.
>>
>>1084047

That's kinda disappointing :(
>>
>>1084049
It's almost like you haven't looked into it at all.
>>
>>1084056

I see what you did there...
>>
>>1084056

I didn't.

I figured 2x8 pixels was shit because I was thinking in terms of resolution.

So... Is it any good?

And is my dream possible?
>>
File: Fermi-large-area-telescope.jpg (77KB, 638x479px) Image search: [Google]
Fermi-large-area-telescope.jpg
77KB, 638x479px
>>1084006
>>1083996
It is difficult to image gamma radiation. We can't really make optics for gamma rays. Mirrors don't work because nothing reflects gamma rays. Lenses don't work very well because the best refractive index we can get is 1.000000001. Sure, we can use pinhole lenses, but that makes things a lot less sensitive.

So we have to do some complicated stuff to figure out where the gamma rays are coming from to and measure their energy, in addition to rejecting noise from things like cosmic rays, which also go through the camera.

There are pinhole based gamma ray 'imagers,' but they have very bad 'framerates,' as in one 'frame' every 5 minutes or so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_2hmX4slI4
>>
>>1083914
That's why they have their points - it has to do with epigenetic expression. If you kept them in a warm space suit they would not develop their points.
>>
File: xray_sortof.jpg (49KB, 614x635px) Image search: [Google]
xray_sortof.jpg
49KB, 614x635px
>>1083912
>I haven't seen anyone building vision enhancement that can switch from different modes.
I'm imagining you mean Normal Spectrum/Night Vision/Thermal. You could buy the separate pieces of equipment and then modify them to operate using the same battery but it would take some prowess in the ways of electronics engineering. I imagine you'd also need to wire them to a controller of some sort in order to switch between them, as a mechanical switch would be too cumbersome for something worn on the face - so that means you'd need to be a skilled programmer as well.

X-ray/Gama-ray detector won't do much good if you're wearing it on your face, and the power requirements don't exactly allow for them to be portable, let alone wearable. There IS this X-ray work-around that uses light filters and a digital camera, but it works in reverse - instead of bones lighting up white they're shaded black like pic related. The whole instructable can be found here but please note it is NOT an x-ray detector:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Weekly-Project%3a-Build-Your-Own-X-Ray-Vision-Camera/

Hope this helps.
>>
>>1083912
You should be able to jigger up a FLIR and low-light system, maybe have the output being in a VR headset via a small processor.
Thing with IR systems is they tend to work best with an IR lamp, most of the cheaper (non-mil) ones are fairly limited in their range otherwise and even then I wouldn't guarantee them working very far. Next best thing would be commercial grade rifle optics that sometimes get produced in IR & LL, I've seen them hooked up to cheap little camcorders and its kind of fun, but if you've got all this running through a basic computer processor I guess a decent resolution webcam would do the job.

In terms of radiation, well as other's have pointed out its not really something you could 'capture' so to speak, best bet there is to a geiger counter that has an output and could run through the same processor that the IR-LL sensors are running through and can project it on your screen.
>>
>>1084115
>IR & LL
Yeah new military nightvision stuff uses classic nightvision with infrared to basically make the night look like daylight.
>>
>>1084102
It's possible, you just have to spend money. You can get a flir one for your phone which has a 160x120 and a 640x480 color camera. It compensates for its low resolution by overlaying the low res thermal image on to the higher res color image.

Those cheaper hobbyist sensors were still pretty expensive. $50 last time I checked.

The Flir one is probably your best option for thermal, although you might be able to find older larger thermal image sensors on ebay for similar prices.

You can probably diy near IR and UV cameras. Cameras are sensitive to UV and near IR and have filters to remove such things, however, some cheap b/w security cameras do not have such filters. In addition one can get the Raspberry Pi NoIR camera which is a color camera without an IR filter.

So all you have to do to make one of these cameras is add a filter that only lets through near IR or UV.
>>
>>1084118
and how does it do that?
>>
>>1084118
Its one of those things that have come leaps and bounds over the last 10 years, the crap we took into Afghan and Iraq back in the early 00's was really primitive- but better than nothing at the time!

>>1084122
Essentially one input and has two different sensors inside the device that collect each of their relevant optical inputs, they go through a little microprocessor that overlays both on the single screen with a variety of settings that allow you to adjust the contrast and focus. They are NOT cheap though, current gen stuff is very pricey, the 1st and to some degree 2nd generation stuff is getting down in price as various armed forces shitcan it and upgrade to more modern ones.
>>
>>1084125
>>NOT cheap
why? Microprocessors are cheap. Cameras are cheap. Why wouldn't they be?
>>
>>1084127
Not a large supply of companies that can make them (patents), very high demand and being cutting edge tech it's got all kinds of gates to auto-adjust light conditions (so they don't flare out) and to some extent they're also lighter, use better batteries and last longer.
Plus they are military equipment, they're meant to survive high temperatures, freezing, dust, water and soldiers. Leave a soldier in a room with hammer & anvil, you'll probably come back 2 hours later with a broken anvil.
>>
>>1084127
>>1084135
IR optics aren't really cheap to begin with.
>>
>>1084109
I was hoping someone would explain this correctly
>>
>>1084138
why
>>1084135
that doesn't explain anything
>>
>>1084164
They cost a lot to manufacture
>>
File: HC-SR04-Ultrasonic-Sensor.jpg (82KB, 1024x783px) Image search: [Google]
HC-SR04-Ultrasonic-Sensor.jpg
82KB, 1024x783px
>>1084138
I saw hacks from 10+ years ago that turn normal digital cameras into ir cameras by removing a filter.

You can maybe look into ultrasonic detectors. There's arduino projects for all of these things.
>>
>>1084177
Yeah the lower wavelengths of IR are transmitted by standard glasses pretty well. Anything higher and you need to get into fancy stuff like zinc selenide or sapphire
>>
>>1084177
Those hacks always require you to point an IR flashlight at things. They're not sensitive enough to pick up ambient IR.
>>
File: CMs-Scopedog-8.jpg (395KB, 1684x835px) Image search: [Google]
CMs-Scopedog-8.jpg
395KB, 1684x835px
>>1084110
>I'm imagining you mean Normal Spectrum/Night Vision/Thermal.
>I imagine you'd also need to wire them to a controller of some sort in order to switch between them, as a mechanical switch would be too cumbersome for something worn on the face - so that means you'd need to be a skilled programmer as well.
We Scopedog now.
>>
>>1084164
Its (comparatively) miniaturised, its using very high end manufacturing processes that aren't in a lot of demand anywhere else (so you can't outsource bits), they use top end batteries and its ruggedised, waterproof, will work from -30C to +70C and can take a beating.
They aren't your average handicam or mobile phone.
Plus the company developing them has to recoup research and setting up production costs which isn't inconsiderable, once they've done that they drop slightly in price. Once they're superseded then they will also decrease a bit more.
>>
I am looking into building a hobby nuclear reactor one day that could be used as a power source.

About the size of a Farnsworth Fusor.

I kinda wanna play with Thorium if the price drops and I really want to make a tritium breeder. The price of tritium is high as fuck.

I think goggles that can see radiation waves would be a hugely useful tool in fields involving radiation.
>>
>>1084459
So if a farnsworth fusor has been around for 49 years, why haven't we made one that can generate power?

What would you use said goggles for over a geiger counter?
>>
>>1084120
>Flir one is probably your best option for thermal
There are a lot of companies out there that make thermal camera modules, doesn't have to be FLIR. FLIR One is probably the cheapest out there right now, but you can get maybe 320x240 30fps LWIR camera modules for not much more. The FLIR One uses a Lepton core, that's 80x60 at 9fps (almost).

Also if you don't live in the US, buying from someone else other than FLIR is the only way to go because of export restrictions.
>>
You want to have several microbolometer.
>>
Has one one here watched the Hacksmith?

https://youtu.be/WbYjMksGaCU
>>
>>1083912
graduate buds and work your way to seal team 6. if it exists they got it.
>>
>>1083922
>It should in theory be possible to make something like that to "see" through walls and such. It could use normal wifi signals.

I've had the same idea for years after finding out how the Serbs took down a stealth fighter in the 90s. I was so disappointed to find out a few years ago, that there are people already working on something like that. Can't be bothered to find it now, but if you google around you will find it.
>>
>>1086195
There was something recently where they used a custom wireless access point with the new sexy WiFi that does beam forming it some shit and they modified it to be able to tell where your finger is on your phone keypad so they can work out your passwords.
Clearly technology has gone too far.
>>
>>1083912

high fps thermal cameras are not easy to cop
>>
>>1083948
But a colour camera would be useless in the dark and a "Predator" - style thermal imaging camera would be almost useless in light.

Maybe you could use an IR camera in combination with an IR light source to overlay the thermal imaging on, using the same principle
>>
>>1084110
Just reverse the image colours so you get a negative

>>1083912
Buy two (preferably identical) 1980s-90s camcorders, the viewfinders are basically miniature displays and they take in normal composite (yellow RCA type) video. Plus, they are already ocular/goggle shaped.

https://www.google.nl/amp/www.instructables.com/id/Hacking-Camcorder-CRT-Viewfinders/%3famp_page=true
>>
File: cat s 60 flir phone.jpg (52KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
cat s 60 flir phone.jpg
52KB, 800x450px
>>1083991
or CAT S60, off the shelf solution
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.