[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Precision work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: gallery_craig1.png (33KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
gallery_craig1.png
33KB, 220x220px
I've been struggling to make right angles with my dad's 40 year old radial arm saw for a long time. I hate to think I have to spend a grand on a table saw to do simple things with any precision at all.

How crucial is the equipment in making shit correct? Is it really so impractical to try with sub-professional equipment?
>>
Shitty tools will yield shitty work. Similarly if you're unskilled and too incompetent to google "how to square a RAS" you will produce shitty work undoubtedly.
You don't need a power tool, you just need A tool you can use competently.
>>
File: 2451-B[1].jpg (38KB, 499x377px) Image search: [Google]
2451-B[1].jpg
38KB, 499x377px
>>1083891
Is it a Craftsman radial arm saw? They were made by Emerson and are generally considered to be poor machines when it comes to maintaining accuracy. On the plus side, they were recalled for safety problems and you can get $100 if you live in the USA and ship them the carriage. You might be able to buy a decent used saw for that. http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/

DeWalt and Delta made good radial arm saws. They hold their zeros well when calibrated properly. You can find how to do this in the manual. They also can be had for next to nothing. Post your local Craig's List and I will have a look and see if their are any good radial arm saws or table saws in your area.

Picture related. Real DeWalt tools were blue or green.
>>
Radial arm saws never stay in square. Get a good compound sliding miter saw if you want more precision.

Get a table saw and an Incra miter gauge if perfection is required.
>>
>>1083918
>Radial arm saws never stay in square.
Good ones don't have that problem. Tool quality is a big factor. My old DeWalt radial arm saw is rock solid.

>Get a table saw and an Incra miter gauge if perfection is required.
Which assumes the blade is square to the miter slot. I've seen crappy machines where it is not. Again, tool quality is a big factor.
>>
>>1083891
How off is it? If it's not by much and the piece ain't to big then just build a shooting board and square it off with that, cheap and works
>>
>>1083906
Oh hey, it totally is eligible for recall. Thank you, that might have to be done. The blade is super bad about staying calibrated. The MDF table shifts and warps. It's a huge headache.
>>
>>1083975
Ah, so it was a Craftsman. Yup, Emerson made some garbage tools for them starting in the late 70s. Post your local CL and I'll see if theres a decent replacement nearby for cheap.
>>
>>1083984
Thanks, I will
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.