[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Taken for a ride?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: Screenshot_20161114-093314.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161114-093314.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
Rear ended a woman this morning and left a scratch on her bumper.

The whole thing has left a funny taste in my mouth for various reasons, but now I am thinking that I am being taken for a ride.

I know it's hard to tell from a picture, but any car repair/body work guys able to tell me roughly what it would cost to repair pic related?
>>
Wheres the scratch? Just ask if you can cover it with some touch up paint of the same color
>>
Legally, if you're at fault, and a report was submitted, you're required to do the repair that she and her company choose.

If you didn't have a report done, did not call police or insurance, and have no damage on your vehicle, and DID NOT give your insurance info, then tell her to pack sand.

If she is threatening to call insurance, tell her to do it. Your rates won't go up too high, and the repairs needed are minimal. They'll pretty much shrug it off.
>>
>>1083852

Honestly I don't know where the scratch is. She jumped out of the car screaming that it was a lease and there was a scratch.

Obviously I did hit her and I am responsible for it, so I am going to have to pay for it, but she just called and said that she got an estimate for $900 because they will have replace the entire bumper. I looked over the car and couldn't find anything wrong with it myself, and replacing the bumper seems like over kill when it's just buffing out a scratch, but I only know how to make them run, not make them pretty.
>>
some sandpaper, clear coat and a buffing pad is all that's needed.

in other words about $2000

joking aside, you know you're being taken for a ride if it needs anything more than new bumper, they are made to withstand low speed impacts and actually protect the car. its internal structure could be damaged though depending on how fast you were going. if it can't withstand another low speed impact, then it gets replaced in order to do its job properly.
>>
>>1083860

In my state the cops don't fill out a report unless it's over $1000 of damage, but I did give her my insurance like an idiot.

I'm not against paying for any damage that I am responsible for, but the estimate she gave me seems way to high for what appears to be nothing.

I will be asking for a second estimate from another place of course, but I can't help but feel that I'm being taken advantage of here.
>>
>>1083863

I was going a whopping 5mph or less at the time. She stopped early at a red light and I couldn't stop in time.
>>
>>1083861
that sounds about right for a new bumper that already matches the original.

it's kind of high for a junk yard bumper that's been painted to match

i don't know if it needs a new bumper or not, its not something you can tell with the pic provided.

however, if they just sand out the scratch and put on some clear coat on the old damaged bumper and buff it to blend it in, that's insurance fraud, nail her ass and turn her in.

>>1083869
chances are the bumper is fine, but she could have took it to a decent place who just replaces the bumper anyways. $900 is reasonable.

not all places have the stuff or do florescent penetration inspection to see fine cracks in the bumpers structure.
>>
>>1083872

Well fuck, there goes my beer money for 2 months.

I just got a text from her with the estimate from a different place for just over $400 to replace the bumper, so I'm just gonna give her the money and leave good enough alone before my insurance goes up, and I get stuck paying the higher amount anyways.
>>
>>1083874
you may lose out on beer money, i don't know your age, but if your under 30 chances are your insurance would have gone up at least $400 a year for a few years.

$400 is reasonable for that repair.
>>
>>1083866
You dont do shit. You let your insurance company deal with it.

End of story. Not only do they do the negotiating and dealing. They add a layer of legal protection between you and the complainant. Do not give her any money. Just tell her to talk to your insurance company
>>
>>1083893
>End of story. Not only do they do the negotiating and dealing. They add a layer of legal protection between you and the complainant. Do not give her any money. Just tell her to talk to your insurance company

plus if you give her cash and she files a claim anyway you get fucked twice
>>
>>1083893
What im saying is call your insurance co. And report it now. Failure to do so within your plans mandatory reporting window may completely absolve them of handling any claim associated with the accident. Including "ouch my neck is killing me" after she realizes she can get money out of you.

Furthermore, if you do decide to go it alone, you pay the repair shop directly. Not her
>>
>>1083872
>however, if they just sand out the scratch and put on some clear coat on the old damaged bumper and buff it to blend it in, that's insurance fraud, nail her ass and turn her in.

No, it isn't. Absent any obligation in your policy to actually repair the damage, the estimate is what it is and what insurers base claims on. If you live outside the US your rules may differ.

For example, a dumb bitch hit my rear bumper on my F150. Damaged the bumper and bed. I filed and was paid for that damage. I got a free bumper because I'm a mechanic and had it on hand because I have three trucks and a good spares stash. Pocketed about 800 bucks.

I didn't ask her to hit my truck. She was obliged to pay me to return that truck to like kind and quality to what it was before being hit. I was not obliged to do so nor, logically, should I be since it's my property.

400 is reasonable. If someone tags me I'll fix my rides the same way I've built some of them, because straight salvage parts come with the correct factory paint, primer, and extra small hardware. If I tag someone I don't give a shit what they do.

I ALWAYS report accidents. The chick who hit me understood when I said I started my day with an unbent truck, it wasn't personal, but I expect to get paid. Chill conversation all around.
>>
>>1083869
Bro if you hit her doing 5 mph because you couldn't stop in time then you were too close. Give yourself a car length man... much cheaper than a bumper
>>
>>1083869
>stopped early at a red light and I couldn't stop in time.

Im confused how someone stops early at a redlight... Besides maybe like 4 car legnths behind the white line or something..

Besides that. The quote for a whole new bumper sounds about right.
>>
>>1085844
>light starts turning yellow
>she slams on her brakes despite being almost into the intersection
not that hard to imagine, people are fucking stupid when it comes to the lights.
>>
>>1083874
Another anon said it but pay the repair shop directly and get that receipt. Everything should be documented as much as possible because she could screw you over with "back problems" or file a claim after.
t. Uber Driver
>>
>>1085867
Slams her brakes going 5mph?
>>
>Couldn't stop at red light going 5mph

Blatant lie, or texting on phone not looking

Maybe OP was jerking it in the car
>>
Oh here, just paid the auto place and got a release signed saying that I am done with this bullshit. After talking to the repair guy, there is no doubt at all I got taken two of the scratches I was blamed for had yellow in them (I drive a blue car) and they where higher than my car could reach. but this route was cheaper than the other route, so I took it.

This entire fucking ordeal (after it was made clear that I was not paying for the yellow scratches in the paint)was over a half inch scratch on the bumper that I couldn't prove wasn't done me that couldn't just be sanded out because the bumper had decorative texture that would be lost if sanded...

I have no ill will towards the mechanics shop, they are just doing their jobs, but I am 100% certain that she backed into something and was looking for someone else to pay for it.

Thankfully my dad and brother are lawyers and put her in her place after talking to the repair guy.

>>1086050

I hit her at 5mph slowing down after she slammed her brakes. We were going about 20mph before I hit my brakes.
>>
>>1085867
>people are fucking stupid when it comes to the lights.
Is this supposed to be funny?

If you couldn't stop then you were too close. It doesn't matter if its a red light, turning a corner, on a motorway, driving around the rings of fucking Jupiter, don't drive faster than the distance you can stop in.
Step 1 is to fucking man up, strap on a pair of balls and fucking own up to being a shit driver.
Step 2 is pay whatever they want because its not their fault that you crashed into them.
Step 3 probably surrender your license because clearly you are too stupid to be allowed to drive.
>>
>>1085081
Nope you committed insurance fraud, you're not meant to personally profit from it

Scumbag
>>
>>1086082
Where do you think the bumper came from originally? Pro-tip: Bumpers aren't fucking free, he had to pay for it.
>>
>>1086082
>Nope you committed insurance fraud, you're not meant to personally profit from it

Show us the wording in law to support your assertion you trolling lying autistic fool. You cannot show me in US law where anything I did was "fraudulent". I defy you. Do it, bitch. I double-dog dare your ignorant ass.

Your autismal interpretation of what I "should" do with a settlement when I am not constrained by law means nothing. Law matters, you don't.

Fraud requires misrepresentation. I did no such thing by action or inaction. Further, no other process of "fraud" (dictionary definitions matter in law) was involved.

The insurance adjuster determined the MONETARY compensation I was offered by the insurance company. I accepted.

I was nowhere in law or contract obliged to have my repairs done by anyone else. I was nowhere in law or contract obliged to USE WHAT I RECEIVED FOR MY LOSS in any way whatever. If my truck burned to the ground, would I be legally or contractually obliged to buy the identical vehicle under a typical insurance policy anywhere? CITATION or fuck off.

Should I decline payment for my loss? For what reason? I defy you to articulate your opinion (how's that for a softball question?) on why I should have spent all of my legal due on a repair.

I'm a mechanic and could have replaced or repaired all parts concerned then paid myself labor and consumables and parts markup. Would that be fraud too? How so? I defy you to explain how you think, because a human who cannot explain their reasoning cannot justify their reasoning.

I was deprived of the value of a good by the impact. I was then compensated for the LOST VALUE AKA the cost to return the vehicle to "like kind and quality" before the impact. I signed no agreement requiring me to use the damage compensation for that purpose and it is not required in the US per typical insurance CONTRACT (not your cunt ignorant opinion, but the contract I signed).

To be continued...
>>
>>1087132
"Fraud" in the insurance sense. From Wikipedia:

"Insurance fraud is any act committed with the intent to obtain a fraudulent outcome from an insurance process. This may occur when a claimant attempts to obtain some benefit or advantage to which they are not otherwise entitled, or when an insurer knowingly denies some benefit that is due."

I was entitled to compensation for my loss. The insurance adjuster assessed the damage, and that adjuster represented Geico, not my insurance company, USAA. He offered based on what he assessed. I didn't guide or influence him in any way to inflate or alter the estimate. To my expert eye he didn't deny any benefit due either, as I'm familiar with all the repairs required. No fraud on any part, all contractual obligations filled, end of story.

I go at length because autists need shredding and in particular because many Anons unfamiliar with auto insurance may benefit from the info.

Read you insurance contract. Know what you paid for. The insurance companies employ lawyers and actuaries so THEY know what you paid for.
>>
File: IMG_1632.jpg (93KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1632.jpg
93KB, 480x640px
>>1083861

I had the exact fucking same experience. Just coughed up the cash in the end. Felt bad man. Fantasized about hunting her down and raping her to death after that. Still have the cunt's business card. I know deep down inside where it really matters I'm a terrible person but she was a fucking Mexican. And to make things worse I had just been rear ended a couple weeks prior and just meh'd at it. Sure if I looked with a microscope I could have found some 'damage' but who the fuck cares? God I still want to kill her, that and the prostitute that refused to put out after taking my $300. No idea how to find the second one though.
>>
>>1083894

Use a check.
>>
>>1083872
>not all places have the stuff or do florescent penetration inspection to see fine cracks in the bumpers structure.

This, and cars nowadays are build to crumple internally at the slightest hits, to save your ass when you hit something at 40. Be glad it wasn't enough to trigger her airbags, because the ENTIRE system has to be replaced at that point, or it won't function properly.
>>
>>1085867
>people are fucking stupid when it comes to the lights.
Be very glad if you don't live in Camera Country like I do, where it decides it was "too yellow" when you went through and you get a nice fat ticket in the mail.
Those damn cameras cause more accidents then they prevent, but no one wants to pay the taxes to keep the police funded or roads funded, so there you have it.
>>
>>1083861
>>1083863
I pulled the front bumper of my car off, it was as simple os undoing 8 bolts and it literall just comes off.
well I had to remove the shit that blocks water in the wheel well, which was like 5 screws..

easy as fuck/10

also got a new bumper from the junk yard, same color no damage, for $100.
Good luck finding an acceptable replacemnt though, if its a new car. Probably wont be in the junk yard and you wont find that color. Its going to need to be painted.
>>
>>1087217
You're not supposed to pass when it's yellow, unless stopping would cause an accident.
YOU are causing accidents by accelerating to pass before it's red, not the camera. The camera is trying to educate your retarded ass since you're apparently too thick to know how a light works.
>>
>>1088102

There's always a several second delay AFTER the light turns red before the opposing lane turns green. You're an uneducated red light camera shill, GTFO.
They have been shown to cause more accidents.
>>
>>1087204
That will cover you in the case that she makes the claim, but would you really want to waste time going to court, in case she takes you to small claims? The insurance hit is time-cheap, even if it costs more money. I would just let insurance handle it and be done with it. I always call the police when I'm in an accident as well and refuse to speak to the person until they arrive. Too many nutjobs trying to scam, whether it's false rape/touching, or just the old, "can we just handle this out of pocket?" bullshit. I'm also going to get a dashcam, once it's in my budget. People still pull the brake-check scam in states where you're at-fault for a rear end collision. Video proof that some jackass encroached goes a long way.
>>
>>1083851
It just looks like a dirty bumper to me...
>>
>>1083869
>5mph or less
>somehow can't stop in time to prevent collision

The fuck, bro? Sounds like you were riding her ass hard as fuck and walked right into this mess. I'd have pulled the same shit as her just to fuck with you for being a shit driver.
Or your brakes are absolutely shit, and you are STILL the asshole here, because you should know your car well enough to keep a safe braking distance from her.

Your story sounds just as fishy as hers. Short of her literally reversing into you, she has every right to take you for a ride.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.