[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reinforcement plate - which material?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: gap.jpg (2MB, 3088x4160px) Image search: [Google]
gap.jpg
2MB, 3088x4160px
pic related Removed old rotten patio roof, need to install new in its place. There was 7.5Hx2.75D beam where this hole now is, but the replacement doesn't have to be this thick - the new structure is lighter than the old.

All in all, I need to fill exactly 1" of depth (and about a foot of height and 12' of length) with something that will be a patio structural support member, and cover it with stucco. Usually, I'd just get high quality 3/4" plywood, but that'll be 1/4 short of what I need, and I want to use every fraction of an inch available for strength. However, I don't think 1" plywood exists.

So, what would be viable options here? I'm pondering two at the moment. One, get to 1/2" sheets, glue them together (exterior grade titebond?) and install as one. Two, use a 1" thick board (but then again, I don't know if I can buy it anywhere, and I don't have a thicknesser. Anything else comes to anon's mind?
>>
You sure are dragging your fucking feet on this anon
>>
>>1083727
put a new beam of the exact same dimensions of the old beam back in.

the fact that its oversized doesn't matter when compared to the hassle and cost of building around it like you are talking about. it doesn't hurt anything being oversized, and i bet you the stucco finish will look better.
>>
>>1083727

Go 3/4 and 1/4, presumably their glue joints will be better than yours. Worst case it still has the strength of the 3/4.
>>
>>1083735
...and people say Anonymous has an attention span of a goldfish...

Tell me about it. Had a few unrelated minor disasters along the way, had to take care about that first. Also, there were three different gaps to take care of, each with its own challenges. This is the last one.
>>
>>1083746
I agree with your reasoning.

I'm thinking of putting the 1/4 first and 3/4 on top of it with seams staggered, reasoning being - if installers use the lugs too short for the purpose, they're still gonna be held by the thicker sheet.

What would you glue the sheets with? I've had really good results with Titebond - I don't think construction adhesive will spread evenly here (about 12" width), too thick.
>>
>thinking of using plywood on an exterior area
>ironically after replacing a rotted piece of wood
>>
>>1083737
>exact same dimensions
won't work, the new construction is too different, and flashing on the old structure was busted - which caused the rot in the first place
>>
>>1083763
Considering that the house is over 30 years old and the only rot was where installers took a shortcut, I'd say it's good enough for me. Plus, better materials, better execution, the whole nine yards.
>>
>>1083764
then get a beam planed down to the right thickness. i'm telling you that trying to cobble something together like you are talking about is not worth it.
>>
>>1083769
>cobble
Believe me, I hate this idea myself, but

>get a beam planed down
getting a 12' 12" beam planed even a half inch is a hell of a job even if you have the right tool, and is absolute suicide with tools like power hand planer.

Quick search: DEWALT DW735, $550+tax - and I don't have any other use for it.

What are the standard wood plank thicknesses around 1" (both nominals and what they actually shrink to)? I have a hunch that if I want to get a plank exactly 1" thick, I'm moving from "construction grade" wood to "craftsman grade", which is going to cost me a pretty penny - with absolutely no value for it.
>>
>>1083727
http://m.homedepot.com/p/1-in-x-12-in-x-12-ft-Common-Board-458554/100322339

?
>>
>>1083775
Damn, I may be dumb.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check the SKU tomorrow. There may be a catch, though, like this (watch the hands):

http://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-x-4-in-x-96-in-Premium-Kiln-Dried-Whitewood-Stud-161640/202091220
>Common: 2 in. x 4 in. x 8 ft.;
>Actual: 1.5 in. x 3.5 in. x 96 in.
Half inch difference.
>>
>>1083775
>>1083780
Actual product thickness (in.) : 0.75

Which has better shear strength - wood, or plywood?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.