[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

tv repair

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: ebay.png (1MB, 1179x651px) Image search: [Google]
ebay.png
1MB, 1179x651px
while i was searching through ebay for a used tv i noticed a lot of devices who are "not working anymore".

and i just thought to myself that it couldnt possibly be that hard to repair these, right?

Has anyone ever bought a dead tv for the purpose of repairing it and had succes with it?

And how do i know whether its worth to invest my time in it, or better not take the risk because its hopeless?

pic related
>>
>>1082892
Easy enough to repair most likely, but are you going to gamble shipping and all the additional costs on something that may cost an additional $200 than you paid, only to flip it for $50 more than what you paid?

There is a reason there are a lot of listings anon, no one buys them because they are not worth it. Think son.
>>
Depends on your skill, equipment, and how much you value your life and time.

Back in the 70s granddad used to repair old TVs as a side job. On occasion when a TV better than the one he owned would turn up, he would buy it as broken for pennies and fix it as set it up for home use.
When i was born there where like 4 television screens wired in various dangerous ways in the living room.

However those where the cathode ray tube powered macromachines of the days of old.
Very few things a "handyman" could fix on his own exist these days.
The newer things are a pain to fix because they are less standard, no repair manuals exist, even the owner manuals are just 2 sheet printouts telling you not to lick the sockets.
Depending on the damage to the TV you might be able to fix it you might not. Again depends on your skill and equipment.
>>
>>1082893
well first i am not trying to sell it i just want a working tv for myself.

and i would also only go for local ones, which i could pick up myself. so shipping would be out of the way
>>
The vertical lines in your pic are due to a bad connection probably in between the signal board and the driver board. You might be able to fix it by opening it up and checking all connectors. It could also be any number of faulty components in the signal path but components now a days are pretty hearty. Faults are normally located around where the Chinese monkeys that assemble these things have to touch them.

I'm not sure if it's just the camera angle but it looks like there is a dark spot in the middle of the panel. Maybe from someone punching it in frustration. If so then I wouldn't try to fix it. If the panel itself is damaged there is no fix except replacement.
>>
File: FWCVYI7H1JUJN49.LARGE.jpg (91KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
FWCVYI7H1JUJN49.LARGE.jpg
91KB, 1024x768px
>>1082895
>you might be able to fix it you might not

that was helpful, thanks

>>1082898
thanks. and yeah, the one attached to the op is probably a bad example, i think the chances are high that the panel itself might just be fucked

but what about tvs that wont turn on at all? ive read that most of the time, its just blown capacitators which are rather easy to swap out.

pic related
>>
>>1082901
I wouldn't say, 'most of the time it is just caps.' When the power supply caps start to go bad it could manifest in flickering or noise becoming brown outs and eventually a no power on condition. Usually when plugged in these devices will show some signs of life like the standby led coming on but when you try to turn them on you get nothing or a coil hiss. Those are some signs to look for.
>>
>>1082895

Usually it's bad caps or blown shit in the PSU.

The chips are so protected, apart from a cracked screen it's unlikely there's a problem with the ICs.
>>
>>1082892
Led tv repair is pretty easy. There are handful of tests to perform to figure out the problem. It's either bad led bad tconn bad mobo broke screen or bad led driver. The biggest issue seems to be parts availability. Shopjimmy is good. I've had mixed results with over seas sellers. I've got a gorgeous 55" vizio smart tv I got cheap but can't find a working tconn board
>>
Walmart has a 55 inch 4K black Friday TV for $300. No reason to mess with broken stuff.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.