[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WOODWORKING AND JOINERY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: wood-joints.jpg (287KB, 1280x718px) Image search: [Google]
wood-joints.jpg
287KB, 1280x718px
whats the coolest thing you've made from wood?

I have questions about joinery...

like how do you make certain joints?
(labelled here as the "mortise and tennon" "lap" and "box" joints)

I have a project that might require actual joinery and the concept frightens and intrigues me...
>>
>>1082261
Depends on your tools. I tend to smash out tenons with a skilsaw. A plane, hammer and chisel.

Tenons are a whole different game. Having the right tools for the job is a must.
>>
File: joinery questions.jpg (25KB, 218x242px) Image search: [Google]
joinery questions.jpg
25KB, 218x242px
>>1082267
my father collects tools.

I happen to have access to a mortising drill(small stroke-length)

I suspect you had a terms malfunction...
which thing is the thing that is difficult?

>pic is an example of one of the projects I'd like to learn this on.
>>
>>1082261
>like how do you make certain joints?

howtousegoogle.jpg

mortises are made with a mallet and chisel, with or without drilling out first to remove bulk

tennons are cut with a saw

laps are cut with a saw/chisel
>>
>>1082271
I find asking 4chan yields far better results than google does.

also I made this thread because I like to see what people actually make from wood
>>
>>1082280
sometimes it's not that helpful

>"use it as a dildo"
>/pol/ shilling
>"you don't know x?" "kill yourself"
>"you don't need someone qualified, just diy"

"made from wood" is not very specific....and most of the people who ask for some kind of help never come back to post results or never go through with it in the first place

>>1080709
my knife handles are nearly done, just have to wax them up
>>
>>1082261
Go buy an old woodworking book or a reprint, Charles hayward is a good author for that or just anyone who has the stuff on YouTube about joint cutting.

Trick is learning when to use them to balance load/tension and other forces along with timber movement issues
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgLzIcLk01I

Literally just youtube search the joint you're interested in and "New Yankee Workshop". Norm has probably covered it at some point and you can substitute the power tools he uses for the hand tool equivalent in a lot of cases.
>>
This thread suits my question, so I'll ask here. I'm wanting to make a /traditionalish/ octagonal pavilion tent.
My question is where (preferably south east US) can I find 7' rough hewn spars to use as the posts.
>>
>>1082697
based norm knows all
>>
>>1082697
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8-SHSjqK3Q
>>
File: images (52).jpg (6KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images (52).jpg
6KB, 275x183px
>>1082261
No pics. Coolest thing i made out of wood. A solid 3/4" thick dark stained walnut speaker box that required the door and back seat be removed from and 85 ford f250 diesle.

No 2 of us kids in high school could lift it.

Tun on Lincoln park.

Front eplodes into a splintery ied.

Perirces me all about the arms and neck.

Kek. Faggot classmate takes a sliver through his cheek.

>mfw acquire cool nickname of Shrapnel till this day.
>>
File: IMG_2195.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2195.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hey guys I'm getting into woodworking and I'm still in the process of putting my shop together. I'm making a table for a friend and then I am going to make workbenches for everything. Using a chop saw on the floor sucks.

I have really seen the utility in a planer so I believe I need one. I found a dewalt dw734 for $100 off new. Reviews make me feel like I'm going to be replacing blades on that model a lot. I plan to try to earn side income with this stuff so I think I will be using the planer a lot. Do any of you recommend any planers in particular?
>>
>>1085368
I think you posted about this elsewhere, yes?

The dewalt is a good one. The makita is good too. There's shittier ones that are underpowered. If you have a rich uncle get one of the ones with a spiral cutterhead. They are amazing.
>>
>>1085368
Never replace blades on your planers.

Find an industrial blade repair shop. My blades are $150, but I can get a whole set sharpened for $7.
>>
>>1085423
I did post it elsewhere cause this is a slow board and that's the qtddtot thread.

>>1085431
From what I've read about the dewalt is it does not have adjustable blades so as they wear down and you sharpen them, the gauges on the planer will be off and all of the reviews of the dewalt complain of how many sets of $50 blades they go through. One person says they run 1000 board feet through it a week and it needs new blades nearly monthly.
>>
>>1085661
oops I mean I guess it was the brand loyalty thread of something
>>
File: WP_20161117_22_43_16_Rich.jpg (4MB, 5344x3008px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20161117_22_43_16_Rich.jpg
4MB, 5344x3008px
I once carved a wooden knife.
What's a good project to get into wood working and joinery?
>>
>>1085783
A workbench. Then, use that workbench to help you make other things. Then, once you learn better woodworking, you make a better workbench that fulfills your specific needs in woodworking.
>>
>>1085783
From my experince. Boxes.. If you can build square boxes with closing and latching lids perfectly you can build anything...
>>
>>1085815
Just like Minecraft?
>>
>>1082261
Mortice and tenons are fairly easy if you do a few things to make it simple

Use a marking gauge to place the holes

Use a table saw to cut the tenons to size FIRST and just a tiny bit oversized, like 1.04" if they are going to be in 1" wide mortices

For to mortices, use a drill press to rough out the hole and always make the final size the width of your chisel and drill bit for ease

Use a shoulder plane to do the final sizing on the tenon, testing the fit OFTEN

You can use a morticing attachment on a drill press to cut the mortices but only on harder woods, soft ones just tear
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.