[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys So I tried to etch something today, but It came out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Snapchat-2307911179235335609.jpg (534KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-2307911179235335609.jpg
534KB, 1440x2560px
Hey guys
So I tried to etch something today, but It came out wrong because I used the wrong gloss paper for it. Now it just looks rough, and I want to redo it with a better design I drew in Photoshop after seeing this one was fuckin Garbo. Is there any way I can reuse this housing?
>>
Did you use mechanical or electro-chemical etching?

If its not too deep or hardened steel, just resurface it
>>
>>1081866
It's aluminum, and I used ferric chloride.
How so I go about resurfacing it?
>>
>>1081868
Get a dead flat surface or sheet of glass, wet-sand it from about 600 through to 1000 grit
Thing I found with aluminium is that you do want it very smooth to work well with stuff like etching, anodising and the like- basically polish it near-mirror or as close too as you can
>>
>>1081870
I'm worried about it going through or Having the front plate too thin. I'm going to be stomping on it. It's a guitar pedal and the enclosure is 4-5 mm thick. The etch went in about 1mm though. I could wet sand it until it's primed again. This time I used 150 grit. I'll go up next time. Will it be too thin if I sand it clean though? Thanks for the advice
>>
>>1081873
3-4mm thick enclosure is more than enough for a stomp box. You'll break something else much before the box.
That said, sanding 1mm away without turning the box round is going to be a pain in the ass. I wouldn't try. Milling would be a better option.
Or you could forget the fancy etching and just fill the current etching and paint it or use that printed foil which is applied using water.
>>
>>1081873
4-5mm is pretty sturdy, but if you're worried about going too deep then you might be better off re-doing the resist areas by hand (wax, sharpie, paint etc) and just fixing up what's there already until you're happy with it.

Guess the other way would be to get some 2-3mm aluminium bar (its pretty cheap and at most good hardware stores), cut it to size, polish it up all nice and then re-do the etching on that and either bolting it up or epoxy and clamp it to the pedal.
I don't see a few mm extra thickness affecting how it works

Plus, if you're using stock bar, you can try whatever you want with your etches and if you fuck a couple up its not going to have any mechanical effect or cost you very much
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.