[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I moved into a new apartment, new bedroom had a dimmer switch.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20161106_180942_612.jpg (188KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161106_180942_612.jpg
188KB, 1920x1080px
I moved into a new apartment, new bedroom had a dimmer switch. Ceiling light had compact fluorescent bulbs in it. Needless to say they didn't work and the switch buzzed horribly.

Ordered a pair of dimmable LED bulbs, put them in the light, no more buzzing but the dimming didn't work, either off or on.

Bought an LED dimmer switch assuming that was the problem. Pull it off the wall just now and there's only two wires, switch has three.

Did I fuck up or can I install this somehow?
>>
>>1080791
Okay, I have identified that green is ground, but the box I'm screwing it into does not have any obvious grounding points. Can I just wrap it around one of the bolts that goes into the box?
>>
>>1080794
Yes
Also incandescents tend to work a lot better than LED bulbs
>>
>>1080801
Thanks, just got it back together. Only dims from 100% to about 85%, then turns off (dim to off switch.

Better than nothing before I guess, but still annoying. Might switch back to incandescent.
>>
>>1080810
No need for ground on switches desu m8. Just make sure your wire nuts are tight. If you bought a decent dimmer read the instructions, most the time they allow you to perform a sequence in order to allow the dimmer to have a greater range of dimming.
T. Electrician
>>
>>1080810
That's odd. I did LED bulbs with a new dimmer, works mostly perfect. The only odd thing is when turned off, the bulbs have a faint glow that can only be seen at night with all other light off. Years ago, I had what you're dealing with, but that was a regular dimmer with fluorescent bulbs.
>>
>>1080791

There is no such thing as a mains LED dimmer for mains LED bulbs.

How dimmable mains LED bulbs work is that they detect what a triac dimmer does to the mains wave form and determine the correct amount to dim from that.

If the LED bulb is some cheap non-dimmable one then it doesn't matter what you plug it in to.
>>
>>1080794

Just put some tape on the green wire.
>>
>>1080791
LED dimming tends to be difficult. You should get a matching set of dimmable LED's and a dimmer. Often times LED's and dimmers of different manufacturers will not work well or at all.

If possible, a decent solution would be to just have 2-3 switches for different bulbs.

Also dimmers tend to produce noise, that can interfere with radio waves.

What brand LED's are you using? I'd recommend Airam, way better price and quality than Philips and Osram.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.